If you believe in Gods laws why dont you go live in Saudi Arabia ?

by mP 145 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

unstop, in theory a Christian nation would follow Christian standards. In practice, not so much.

Attempts to govern social behavior have proven to be collossal failures. Case in point, prohibition, which made alcohol consumption go underground and established the fortunes of the Mob and the Canadian elite.

Another example is America's "tough on crime" stance, lengthening incarceration rates for criminals. Now the US has more people behind bars than anywhere else in the world. At the same time, there has been no improvement on recidivism rates.

Incarceration

• jgnat
    jgnat

Another one, Gretna Green.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

You are the one who implied there was some type of causation between religion and crime rate in this country. That was your logical fallacy that led me to point it out.

---

I "implied" no such thing. You drew an erroneous conclusion based on personal bias.

If you re-read what I actually posted, you'll see that what I said was, based on numerous studies, more secular nations end up at the top of the list for less crime, higher quality of life, etc. The conclusion of these studies demonstrated that religion does not necessarily correlate to higher morality.

Nowhere did I even remotely imply that religion CAUSES crime, like gang violence. I did say that the religiosity of a nation does not necessarily correlate to lower crime rates and higher morality. There's a big difference.

Furthermore, I did not "scold" you. What I do have a problem with is when a person claims I said something when, in fact, I never said it. I will call you out if you promote falsehoods and try to derail a discussion with Strawman arguments.

---

My point about atheism and China/Russia is very valid, especially after you had specifically scolded someone else for having their facts wrong.

---

Sorry, but you are not correct. As I explained and provided source material for, while China and Russia may have an official governmental policy of atheism, they do not restrict freedom of religion. In fact, China is the foundation of some of the world's oldest religions.

It seems from your rant that you start from an attitude of fault-finding and criticism, seasoned with healthy doses of looking for offense, then assert that the "offender" is the one at fault for your baseless conclusions.

That's precisely why so many of the ridiculous religion=violence "arguments" have been so easily put down. And that's precisely why it is so difficult for anyone looking for a balanced view on dubs or religion in general to take this forum seriously, because nearly every topic always wants to devolve into either "you're religious so you're stupid" or "you're religious so you're violent" in the end.

And, you are able to provide proof that these assertions are actually true?

You have made some sweeping accusations. You should be willing to back it up with evidence.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Searril: Basically, this thread is trash as it was formed based on severely flawed thinking which was never properly vetted in-brain before being put down in typewritten form as an attack on others

----

That pretty much describes your rant posted above.

Incidentally, no one was "attacking" anyone else. This forum is a venue for open discussions, sometimes spirited, where differences of opinions and views are tolerated.

You seem to have little tolerance for views other than your own.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Searril: Waste of time, as already proven. I'm out. Be back in another month or so to see if anything has changed.

----

Interpretation:

I'll come back in a month to see if everyone has come around to my way of thinking.

If I find that some people on JWN have the audacity to not agree with all my opinions, I'll throw another tantrum and sulk for four more weeks.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Unstoppable Ravens: If a country were to follow the bible, not the quarn or book of mormon but the bible, there would be a whole lot less stds, and no abortion.

So, do you think only athiests get abortions? Actually 73% of those who get an abortion profess a religious affliation. By age 45, 30% of women have had an abortion. Obviously, a lot of self professed Christians are getting abortions. Unless you actually outlaw abortions, the Christians will go on getting them just as much as everyone else. When it comes to teens and sexual activity, statistics for Christians and non Christians are not much different. Christian parents often do not want their children to get sex education, or have access to birth control, so how will their Christianity prevent STDs?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

lisa:your stats may be correct, except theres one thing missing a distinstion between thoses who profess christ and thoses who are born again, the bible says a born again christain can not practice sin(1john 5:18) so those who claim christ and yet live as though they dont have christ most likely have not been born again, dont take it as im saying born again chrisatain dont sin, but dont live in sin and practice sin(1 john 3:9;10).jesus said not everyone saying lord lord.... i "never" knew you... these ones never ever had a real relationship with christ, so they never were made alive. one of my favorite preachers had a great sermon on this topic: paul washer: the shocking youth message. it really good.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The greatest epiphany I've had in my life is the realisation that the Bible cannot possibly be 'inspired' of 'God' when that 'God' is portrayed as sanctioning or causing immoral, unconscionable crimes against humanity such as killing children, ethnic cleansing, drowning the earth's population, etc, atrocities universally condemned that no normal, enlightened human being would ever do.

The Christian (or Muslim) is left with a choice of either rejecting the inerrancy of the Bible, or believing it is inerrant and thus having to believe in and worship a monstrous anthropomorphic projection of 'God' invented by ancient priestcraft.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

your stats may be correct, except theres one thing missing a distinstion between thoses who profess christ and thoses who are born again...these ones never ever had a real relationship with christ, so they never were made alive

---

The standard answer when Christians (or any other religion) behave badly:

"Oh, they aren't REAL Christians (or Muslims, or whatever), so you can't use their actions as an example."

(only those who never get caught, or who lie about their sins, are REAL Christians. Appearance is everything-not substance.)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Unstoppable Ravens: your stats may be correct, except theres one thing missing a distinstion between thoses who profess christ and thoses who are born again, the bible says a born again christain can not practice sin

Well you are the one stating that if this country was Christian, we wouldn't have abortions or STDs, when that is obviously false. Now you want to quantify that by saying only "born again" Christians. Well, it doesn't change the statistics, Chritians are no more chaste that non religious people. If Born agains never had sex outside of marriage, that would cause the statistics for all Christians to be lower as well. So your argument doesn't hold up. If you can show me statistics that show any flavor of Christian has no STDs and abortions then we might have a discussion.

And how is this nirvana of sexual prudence to be obtained? Force eveyone to be Christian? You said yourself that they have to be true Christians to make a difference, so it's not like that would work. Do you want to have a born again revolution and kick eveyone else out of the country? You are just making a ridiculous statement that can't be proved to be true and would never happen anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit