Who is the "True God of the Bible" ?

by Phizzy 123 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I decided to ask this on the back of "Lost"'s thread about YHVH etc.

Quite often on here we get Bible believers trying to tie the whole mess that is the Bible together, and maintaining that it tells us about just one "True" god.

Who is this "True" god, and what is the proof that he is True ?

Was he the god of Abraham and Melchizedech ?

The god of the ordinary Jew before the babylonian exile ?

The god of the Priest before or after the babylonian exile ?

The god of the Jews of the 1st Century?

Were these one and the same?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Was he the 'father' god about which jesus spoke?

S

• *lost*
    *lost*

Phizzy - just to clarify, I was posting information on the back of a private discussion totally off here, it was information sharing.

Does anyone have an old Strongs Concordance, pre-1969 I think, before they got revised and updated. My source stated changes were made.

So if someone has an old Strongs concordance they will be able to see it for themselves.

The information I was sharing, was just that The Binblical God of the Hebrew peopel, was not spelt Jehovah - its a deception.

Also I would add, being a believer has nothing to do with scholastic studies of ancient teachings/civilisations etc, or HISTORY of man if you like. Bit like archeology I guess.

the fact is, the Bible does exist as a book, for whatever reason, it exists, and both it and religion have had a huge impart on the lives of people over the past 2000 yrs.

regards

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Bible started to be compiled by stories around the time of David. Men wrote of YHWH (Jehovah).

When the kingdom split, northern men wrote stories of Elohim. Many were the exact same stories.

By the time the oldest writings were not even 3 hundred years old, a considerable time back then, the existing writings started to become "sacred" and origins were forgotten.

During the Assyrian conquest, the stories start to be combined in writing. Many "Elohim" texts are lost and the "Jehovah" writers dominate the stories. But many echo stories wind up in the start of the Bible because they included both "Jehovah" and "Elohim" stories.

A third set of writings is also combined into the books, the priestly writings. These might have been similarly old and handed down. If you are going to control people, you gotta have rules, so the priestly writings got into the sacred texts.

YADDA YADDA YADDA! The point is that the true God of the Bible is the great redactor that pulled these writings together and helped solidify a people under one of the many gods. Many think the man known as "EZRA" was the great redactor.

• Este
    Este

I decided to ask this on the back of "Lost"'s thread about YHVH etc.

Quite often on here we get Bible believers trying to tie the whole mess that is the Bible together, and maintaining that it tells us about just one "True" god.

Who is this "True" god, and what is the proof that he is True ?

Was he the god of Abraham and Melchizedech ?

The god of the ordinary Jew before the babylonian exile ?

The god of the Priest before or after the babylonian exile ?

The god of the Jews of the 1st Century?

Were these one and the same?

All of the above.......ask me I know much about GOD

• Este
    Este

What is truth? Plainly stated it is factual statements. It is impossible for GOD to lie and who can check the Hand of GOD in order to prove that what He says or does is not true? What proof could you possibly provide that GOD has told a lie?

E.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Este, how come God doesn't know what a volcano is?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS says there were 40 separate human writers of the bible. That means each one's version of the god of the bible and then add in the WTS version of the god of the bible.

I could never believe that a loving god would destroy young children eternally because their parents made a wrong choice religiously. As a child of a non-jw father and a wavering jw mother, I knew there were big gaps of time when neither I nor my siblings would have survived based on WTS doctrines.

I would see the picture in the Paradise book, with the boy, girl, dog and bicyle descending into an abyss, and knew that was me.

I hear jws wishing for the end now, knowingly or unknowingly, for the destruction of over 7 billion people including children and I see the selfishness in it. If Christians had hoped for the end to come in their lifetime in 70 C.E. as some today believe, we would not be here.

Do jws reflect this verse in the time and effectiveness of their "preaching." If they were part of a search team after a building collapse, how hard would they search? Or are they concerned about their life only and the lives of their minor children?

(2 Peter 3:9) 9 Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Lost. Just did a ISBN search of our Strongs concordance. June, 1940. but it is probably an exact reprint, NE tells me ISBN numbers were not used back then. But it is still an 1940 edition. Please PM us with your question.

Affectionately: Brother of the Hawk ( I will surrender my mind no more, forever)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The reason I ask is because, exactly as you say Blondie, each Bible writer had his version of God, depending on when he lived and who his contempories worshipped, there is not a single "God of the Bible".

El was probably the God of Abraham, and Melchizedech.

Yahweh, as Almighty God, is a post Bab. exile innovation it seems, being written into the earlier texts by redaction

Our dear esteemed Satanus points us on an interesting path too, as Jesus prayed to "Our Father....", and is only recorded as calling Him Father, but many so-called pagan prayers start with "Our Father..." , it is not unique, or original in the Gospels, so, who was this "Father" ????

Was He more like the En Sof of later Jewish Theology ?

He does not seem to resemble the God of post Babylonian exile Priest religion, jealous, warlike, genocidal, mysogynistic etc

According to Jesus' teaching and example He is quite different.

Is he the same God that Paul envisaged ? He seems to be bent on killing his own son according to Jesus, and that seems to have been a good thing to Paul, but we do not seem to have definitive answers as to His identitiy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit