Is it Time to Stop "Understanding" JW Relatives, and Tell it Like it is?

by cofty 93 Replies latest members private

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Cofty, I hope that your medical results are good. Either way keep on fighting the cancer. I hear that listening to humor helps build-up your immune system and may help to take you mind off waiting for the results.

Also, you were right not to prentend about being a normal family to non-JWs. I wish more ex-JWs would help educate non-JWs about TTATT.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LV101
    LV101

Even though there's been a lot of life's serious issues hitting you, Cofty, you're still on top of the game.

Take care of yourself.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Their brain is trapped. Can you understand their actions? That depends on your brain? Do you have to agree with their actions? Its up to you. Can you explain to a trapped brain that it is trapped? Yes. Will the trapped brain understand you explanation? Not likely

it is what it is.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Trying to make a jw understand why we are not jws anymore its like explaining a believer what atheism means

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

ONLY when I talk to JWs does the phrase WWJD come to mind.

When my sister justifies her shunning of our parent (and the shunning by the cong members) I simply say "that is wrong. I think that is appalling behaviour. It's not christian. It's not Christ-like. No way can imagine Jesus treating anyone that way."

Her eyes got big and she said: "It's in the Bible. It's what we have to do." I responded: No it isn't. No you don't. It's wrong. Jesus would not do that."

She drops the conversation because she realizes that we are treading near subversive topics. LOL. And then I don't hear from her for several months.

It bothers me but for me I prefer to keep the door a little bit open rather than force her to dig her heals in and possibly expose me for the apostate that I am. But then, I'm officially just a fader, so can really only imagine how it is to be on the receiving end of the full shunning experience. Be true to your self, or self-sacrificing in hopes that the family wakes up. Really a no-win situation. I think *you* lose either way. Guess you have to try to guess which 'evil' or injustice you can live with for the duration.

Sorry. Not much help from me, I think.

-Aude.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Cofty all the best for your test results!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Cofty all the best for your test results!

From me too. I'm sending good thoughts out into the universe for you. If you feel a slight tickle behind your left knee...that was me....lol

• cofty
    cofty

I wondered what that was ;)

• still thinking
    still thinking

I had no idea I had so much POWER Better be careful what I do with it...hee hee hee

My work here is done.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I debated this for decades. My JW relatives had normal dealings with me, unless a Witness was present. I was denied as a niece as my uncle died b/c a brother sneaked in to the hospital. All of a sudden all my years of love and devotion meant nothing.

I maintained silence b/c I was so grateful to even be acknowledged in any manner. College was an entry to an exciting world. So many times I wanted to announce who I really was. They loved a me that never existed. Good, docile JW. I always had to cope with Witness news. A few times I tried speaking of the weather, local building codes, or a neutral current event. They could not respond nc they live in la la land. Since they were old and so very isolated, I decided not to liberate them.

Once my aunt tried to bridge the gap by asking how a term paper was like in Witness terms. I cried. She tried. No clue.

I could list nonreligious practical consequences of being such Witnesses but people already know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit