WT SHUNNING POLICY: What has it done, or could it do to you?

by flipper 106 Replies latest jw friends

• earthfire
    earthfire

Well there's something about to happen at the end of this month for me. I've told my story in another area of this forum but a real quick summary is that I've been out for 17 years now. I have three siblings still in and three of us are out. My stepbrother and I have been out for a long time and my stepsister has been out for just a year now. It's great having her back in our lives but we're waiting for the other three. So on the 26th our little sister is getting married. She's the youngest. (I'm the oldest) My brother who is an elder will be officiating the wedding and my other brother will be a groomsman. So three will be on stage and three will be in the audience. It's going to be very strange I'm sure. Not to mention the dirty looks we'll all be getting from those we knew and loved. I'm sure my dad will say hi and then quickly excuse himself like he did at my younger brothers wedding. His wife will say hello and quickly walk away and so will our Grandmother, someone who was my closest confidant growing up and who now won't speak to me because I don't believe in the teachings of a "publishing company" that parades itself as a religion. Anyway, it's going to be tough and if I think about it for too long I get sick to my stomach. I'm just waiting for May to be over. It will be great to see family members who are out and some friends who were never witnesses to begin with but the thought of stepping into a Kingdom Hall must be what vampires feel towards a cross! LOL

I just wish we had a "normal" family. You know, the kind you see in the movies where everyone is excited about a wedding, and everyone is invited to the reception too, not just the wedding. Where people actually show their love to each other and include the whole family. Where it truly is a joyous occasion for all involved. I'd considered not going but there are a few reasons that made me decide to go. One, she's my sister and I want to be there for her even with things so messed up. Two, this may be the last time that I see some of my family members, ever. I'll be able to meet my two nephews, finally. Three, I'm sure I won't have a panic attack like I did at the last wedding since I do feel stronger, so I'm guessing it builds character! Four, as stressful as all of this is, I do want them to see that I'm truly okay. That I'm happy and I'd prefer them to be in my life but I'll move on with or without them. It's not me who chooses to be without them, it's them who shuns me, that my love for them is unconditional and I'd be there for any of them without hesitation, with open arms and no judgement because that's what love is and that's what family does. Maybe, just maybe my being there will cause some thinking for someone on some level. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. But if I don't go then none of that is possible.

• Joliette
    Joliette

It has really hurt my family. A lot of my relatives have been disfellowshipped and shunned. It really really hurts. It really confirms that we have been in a cult.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I am still not DF'd, but I still get the shun from my lifelong friends, sister, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins (95% of my family is in the borg). I lost my father who did support and speak to me, & I have my brother who left. My mother and I still have a strained relationship, I know she gets hounded by the elders to cut off association with me...& when I am home for a visit and anyone from the hall calls she tells me to shush so that the person on the line doesn't detect that I am there.

It is hard sometimes to not be able to have an open and honest conversation with my mom (we are restricted to comments about the weather and health...she doesn't want to hear about college stuff or Coffee Shop Guy)

As for the shunning, I laugh when it happens when I go to the grocery store or am walking down the street, & I pity those who did the same thing I did when I was a dub....

but it still hurts a bit, & as for my family and those I was really close to- I do not miss them like I thought I would- but sometimes I wish I could share my life with them...I am left to tell family stories to Coffee House Guy even tho he has never met them and probably never will.

It is the worst when I go see his family, then I feel the weight of not belonging to a family & the fact that they are nothing like mine only makes my heart ache for them.

But as for my day to day life...I am happy and live each day with purpose and do not give much thought to any of the dubs I used to know.

CHG

• flipper
    flipper

EARTHFIRE- I know how you feel about having to just go into a kingdom hall for a wedding it gives me the creeps as well just going to a kingdom hall for ANY reasons. Like yourself I have some JW relatives that are fanatics and some respect my fading inactive state. It truly is like walking on eggshells and juggling lots of bottles in the air trying to appease them. My motto? I don't bother appeasing them anymore, I just do my thing. If they like it fine, if they don't then " tough titty said the kitty " - is my view these days. I don't envy you having to deal with these people at the upcoming wedding. Just try to stay diplomatic and avoid a $hitstorm . Just know that we care here on the board and are here for you, O.K. ? We will support you.

JOLIETTE- I hear you. This shunning crap has really hurt my family as well- including myself. But I truly feel it hurts the people doing the shunning psychologically in their minds also even though they wouldn't admit it. I think it makes them mentally off . I feel for you my friend. We certainly were in a cult. It's so good to be free of that now !

COFFEE HOUSE GIRL- I'm so sorry that most of your family is shunning you. My condolences on the loss of your father. I'm glad that you have your brother and Coffee House Guy to be with and it sounds like you have a stunted relationship with your JW mom still. She sounds very fickle in not letting JW's know that she associates with you. I am astounded as well and laugh at the conduct of JWs when they shun me in stores also. It's like they think we have the plague or something. Really weird. I'm glad to hear that your education is going well and you are happy with life in general. Remember we are here as a support to you as well. Hang in there

• bigmac
    bigmac

i hate this cult.

ive been shunned by my offspring for 25+ years now--except for my 37 year old son--who was d/f'd about 4 years back. he and i have been building bridges since i found him on facebook. his 1st marriage had failed---big time--and he had found love elsewhere. he is getting married later this year--i have a wedding invite!!--a first for me from my kids.

i know is mother shuns him--and his new family are appalled by this behaviour--ive met them

i had occasion to call his mother yesterday--about my jw father--her father in law--who is in a care home a walk away from her house. she has visited him--ONCE--in 4 months!! he is now very mentally confused--and not getting ANY visits from the local gang of holier than thou bigots.

anyway--i raised the subject of our son--and its clear she will have no contact with him---a very vehement and staunch attitude. she is now 64--and i can see her going to her grave without ever seeing him again.

what a sick--destructive religion.

lurkers please take all this onboard--if you're considering your position in the religion.

• flipper
    flipper

BIGMAC- Wow, what an experience, thanks for sharing. You and I are in the same boat buddy- only you've had to suffer in your boat much longer ( 25 years ) than I have with my ordeal ( almost 10 years ) . I too have an uber fanatic JW ex-wife who turned both my adult daughters against me and I too have a really close relationship with my 28 yr.old son who got out of the cult at age 17. You are right - it IS criminal how these JW's can turn their back on their kids ( in the case of our ex-wives shunning their sons ) and how our JW adult kids shun us. I hate this cult also with every fiber of my body. It foments hate, prejudice, and destroys families, friends, and peoples relationships with one another. Disgusting. As I've said before I truly believe WT Society leaders should be brought up on criminal charges of murder and mayhem ( especially for the blood issue and shuning ) .

I'm glad you will experience your son's wedding ! That is really cool. You've waited a long time to share the joys with one of your children. Please know that we are here for you my friend. I'll PM you my phone numbers , perhaps we can chat sometime , eh ? Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

BIGMAC- Hey guy, check your PMs man. I PMed you some info . Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Just because we've made a few comments and showed family members right from the WT literature they feel that we've developed an independent 'spirit' and no longer wish to be JW's and are shunning us. My Mom has not called me in 6 months and when I tried e-mailing her, my sister answered me and said not to contact them ever again.

So I agree, it's WT stupid policy and when you see the 1947 Awake 1/8 pg 27 It makes it look even more ridiculous.

• flipper
    flipper

NEWLY ENLIGHTENED- Wow. So sorry to hear your mom is shunning you just because you showed her some information in their own literature. It reveals just how PARANOID they really are ! My youngest daughter did the same thing to me in 2010 after I read quotes to her from the " overlapping generation " WT article and she said " Dad, you have apostate leanings ! " I told her, " I'm just reading you information directly from the WT , how can THAT be apostate ? " But they look at us like WE are trying to twist the information - but what they don't realize is that the WT information is twisted in the first place all by itself without any help from us ! LOL !

Well, hang in there my friend, as you see you are in large company here with many of us going through long time shunning as well. Please know and realize that we are here for you if you'd ever like to chat. Perhaps I can PM you my wife and my phone number if you want to vent sometime ? Take care friend, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

NEWLY ENLIGHTENED- You have a PM as well ! Please read when you get a chance. Take care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit