WT SHUNNING POLICY: What has it done, or could it do to you?

by flipper 106 Replies latest jw friends

• venetian
    venetian

This is a letter I wrote to an elder in 2009 regarding the effects of the shunning on me and my 8 year old son. I've yet to receive any reply. The letter wasnt even acknowledged.

Dear Jerry

I hope you don’t mind me writing to you but I was wondering whether you would be interested to know how the shunning has affected Tim and I at the gates of W***** Primary School over the last 18 months. I apologise if you are not in the least interested, please don’t read any further.

When I disassociated I genuinely thought some would shun me as per the Society’s directive, but I was emotionally unprepared for my close friends who knew me so well, to have almost relished an opportunity to shun, especially those sisters that like to frequent the M&S coffee shop regularly. The lack of love displayed was truly hard to bear.

Initially I was shocked that the sisters at the school gate, namely Lisa, Christine Morgan and Sian, were so cold and uncaring. They seemed to take the shunning to their hearts and applied it to the letter, ignoring Tim as well as I. regardless if I continued saying good morning to them or not.

This surprised me as I genuinely thought they were true friends. Although they would be sad at my leaving, I thought they would understand and still say hello. How very naive of me! The only exception has been a request by Sian for a letter to be passed on to her. I gave her the letter gladly and she has returned to ignoring me as usual. I guess its ok to waive the rules and talk to me when they want something yes?

The hurt and pain in my heart used to ache constantly to the point where Tim and I both dreaded walking up the school driveway morning and afternoon, knowing that we were being treated like pariahs by people be both had known and loved.

My own personal hurt came to a head the day that Lois was waiting for a sister at the front of the school one morning last summer. At that particular time my mum was in the hospital in post surgery having just had the cancer tumour removed from her bowel. She had had a really lousy weekend and had been in terrible pain. I had been at the hospital every possible moment during that time and was physically and emotionally drained seeing her in such pain. On the school driveway that morning I was hopeful that my sisters would talk to me, perhaps ask how mum was doing or even just throw me a smile of understanding. I really needed a friend that day!

Instead I was ignored by Sian and Lisa who were busy chatting together, and as I approached Lois at the base of the driveway, she turned her back on me.

To be honest Jerry, I don’t think I have ever felt as devastated as I did at that moment. To see my dear sister, whom I had been a support to throughout Doug’s bowel cancer illness (Lois's father in law) and a help when Seth (Lois's husband) had his motorbike accident, turn her back on me when I needed her most was the cruellest of hurts. I got back to my car and was almost hysterical with hurt, so much so that I was hyperventilating and could hardly breathe. Even today, 8 months on, when I remember that day, the pain in my heart stabs me through and tears are never far away.

Seth tried to excuse Lois by telling me it was up to her individual conscience to behave that way. To be frank, her behaviour that day showed, not a conscience but a lack of one. It makes me very sad to know that such a caring friend as Lois will allow the “rules” of the Society to come before a show of genuine love and compassion to one who was her friend.

However the affect all this has had on Tim has been more serious. His behaviour in the classroom began to deteriorate and he began to manifest some odd body movements. His anxiety increased markedly with his breathing being fast and shallow and his eating and weight decreasing rapidly.

His sleeping patterns became poor and his temper extremely volatile with regular head banging on classroom desks and walls. This continued for all his time in year 3.

His teachers and I were extremely worried about this change of behaviour and he was sent for an assessment at Oak House in N****** to be seen by a team of child psychologists. Their initial assessment concluded that Tim was autistic and they recommended a course of behavioural therapy that would help him cope.

All this time I suspected that a lot of Tim’s problems were due to the shunning at school but this suggestion wasn’t taken seriously by the healthcare team or teachers. They didn’t seem to grasp the seriousness of the emotional bullying Tim and I were enduring.

His teachers began to help him in class, but it wasn’t until I regularly began to take him to school through the rear entrance, avoiding the driveway and the sisters wherever possible, that we began to see real improvement. As he entered year 4, virtually all his anxiety symptoms have eased and he is my happy, normal little boy again.

A follow-up consultation with the child psychology team have since concluded that he is not autistic after all, but his symptoms were indeed the result of stress caused by the shunning at the school.

Whilst I am pleased to see Tim well and to have the autistic diagnosis changed, this does not mean that I am happy about what has transpired here. I am very angry, as any parent would be. It’s truly disgusting to shun an adult, but to shun a child is despicable. I am appalled by the behaviour of the sisters at school and I thank Jehovah every day that I am no longer part of such a group of people that can behave so cruelly in His name. Yet I also know just how bad a witness has been given by this action. Many scores of people at the school, at my place of work and at my husband's work colleagues have observed how Tim and I have been treated and are disgusted by the Witnesses. I eagerly look forward to the day when Tim no longer attends W****** Primary and I would have readily changed schools sooner if he hadn’t started to improve.

To this course I am writing a letter to the head teachers and child health professionals in the district outlining the adverse mental health reactions that have befallen us as a family and the many thousands in the wider ex witness community. I feel very strongly that such adverse reactions are often hidden from the mental healthcare teams and teachers due to the benevolent front the witnesses like to portray. I feel something needs to be said to redress the balance so that these professionals are able to understand the stresses of being a witness (or ex-witness) and therefore assist in the care they can offer. No doubt many will interpret this as “beating the brothers”, but this is not my motive. On the contrary, if the professionals can draw on my experience to assist other brothers in need of their services then that can only be a good thing.

Hoping that you and all the family are keeping well.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Mrs. Flip,

You know my story, but I wanted to say hi.

zed

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for all your replies ! Very good thread started by my wife . She told me to come on and respond to you all where she left off as she's very busy doing some work for her customers right now. I'll try to do her proud. LOL !

As many of you know I have a couple adult JW children who have shunned me for upwards of 9 years now. I write letters, I never get one in return. I make phone calls to tell them I love them, I never get a call in return. Even have left cards for their JW spouses and them with financial gifts, don't get any thanks in return. It hurts like hell being shunned by 2 of my children, but I know they are mentally off due to the cult. It's a sickness in the mind. A mind controlled, brainwashing of sorts that pollute the mind and makes them calloused. WT Free is correct, this cult is barbaric and evil.

WATCHTOWER-FREE- I'm so sorry you are being shunned by all of your JW family. That's a lot of people to be shunning you. It's disgusting and barbaric as you stated. We are put down because we ask honest, tough questions that many of them don't want to face the answers to. That's THEIR fault, not ours. We are here for you my friend.

BETTERDAZE- I often think about being possibly cut out of my older JW parents will also if I was ever outed. It's a very real concern you mention. Thanks for mentioning it. One reason I'm not on the Facebook website so it leaves one less place for me to be outed. Shunning does pit siblings and spouses against each other. I have only 1 of my three JW siblings I keep in touch with regularly as the other 2 are very self righteous and JW fanatics. So I basically have my 2 adult children and two siblings and their spouses who avoid contacting me. So about 6 people total in my family. A very good point you bring up about getting a bad reference from JW's if you once worked for them- then once you stop attending you lose your job. It should be illegal for JW employers to fire an inactive Witness who stops attending. Should be legal recourse for that.

BLONDIE- I remember those days you speak of as well when I used to attend meetings many years ago. I was " marked " even back then as " bad association " because of my independent views and thinking. JW's in my congregation wouldn't come over to my house either when I invited them to dinner. It was really sad. I feel so much more real with loving friends on the board here and elsewhere after I exited the Witnesses !

TROUBLED MIND- How disgusting it was how your sister in law treated you like you weren't there ! I'm so sorry you were treated that way. It shows how mentally demented and evil these people are and how evil the WT Society instills that evil into them ! I have siblings that shun me for years like your brother so I understand what you're going through. Please know that we care, O.K. ? I'll have to chat on the phone with you and your hubby sometime ! It's been awhile. Hang in there.

DAGNEY- Wow. I'm sorry that elder looked past you like you didn't exist. Sickening. Shows how evil and manipulated their brains are from the evil guidelines of the WT Society ! I've had JW's actually run into other ailses of the store when they've seen me ! LOL ! My daughters JW mother in law tried not saying anything to me in a parking lot a couple years ago when we parked next to each other and I asked her how she's doing ? she just had this hateful look on her face and said, " FINE ! " then slammed her car door shut. I mean- these people act like they are going to catch the plague talking to us. It's so weird. I think if I am at a funeral sometime I would give these JW's a piece of my mind as well. I probably will once one of my parents dies- I'll talk straight to my older brother about some things I've wanted to get off my chest about the WT cult. We are here for you my sis ! Remember that.

MIND BLOWN- I'm so sorry your dear daughter is shunning you. It really is sad. The JW guy who liked her would " preach to her while having sex with her " ? Jesus H. Christ I can't think of anything that would be more of a TURN OFF than talking about JW stuff while having sex. Gives me the creeps thinking about it. You are right- a girl needs her mom very much so, especially if shes being manipulated by people in the JW cult. I was very close to my JW daughters as teenagers so I know how hard it is to lose that emotional closeness. I hope you get it back with her sometime like I hope it returns with my daughters. I agree with you that many times the only reason these DFed ones go back and get reinstated is because they are held " emotionally hostage " by their JW family. But you are correct- it's a fake relationship not based on reality and truth it's based on fear and guilt. It's really sick the WT Society pushes and prods people in these situations.

PROBLEMADDICT- Communal excommunication format. Very true. Some who get reinstated may CLAIM it did them good being DFed, but deep down they know they're lying. They say out loud what they want other JW's to hear. Keeping the company line.

ABIBLESTUDENT- Tru, no contact and broken hearts happen with shunning of ex-JWs and shunning of non-JWs, but the difference is that JW's will cut MORE SLACK to non-JW's because they look at them as prospective converts. They don't hold them to the fire or same accountability as they do an EX-JW because they feel an EX-JW should KNOW better than to leave the organization. They compare it to a " dog returning to it's vomit " . They never accuse shunned non-JW's of returning to their vomit because they feel non-JW's are already rolling in it and don't know any better. So the expecytations and bar is set higher for ex-JWs- that's why the hatred is even MORE amplified against them than non-JWs. Make any sense ? Tried to spell it out succinctly

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I officially left the JWs and the Watchtower back in 2001. For a while I did go through a grieving process of the loss of my relatives. I was fortunate that I did not lose my husband or my children. My husband left them the same time I did, and my children were only 5 and 3. I am very thankful for the most part that my children did not have to grow up in the clutches of that demonic cult. Yes I feel that strongly about the Watchtower. Since that time I had left that group, I did have one sister who also left it; she hates them even worse than I do.

I use to worry about what if my mother passed away, would they even have the courtesy of even letting me know. Now it has been almost 12 years, and I don’t even give a dam if they even bother to tell me or not. Even if they did, I would refuse to even go. Has my heart hardened? The answer to that is a huge YES. In my mind and heart, the woman who use to be my mother died a very long time ago, and I already went through the grieving process. The woman who she is now is a hateful, crazy nut job. My sister, who left the JWs, just saw the woman last fall, and she actually physically attacked her own daughter at a funeral.

• flipper
    flipper

VENETIAN- Wow. What an awesome letter you wrote to that elder ! Very well done and well written. I'm so sorry you and your son were treated so horridly. I'm glad that you are writing a letter to child health professionals and teachers and mental health experts in your area to warn them of the disgusting conduct of Jehovah's Witnesses in this regard to shunning as it might wake up the community to at least address it and be aware in order to prevent it. Please know that we are with you as a friend here, O.K. ?

TAMERIA 2001- I'm so sorry your JW mom has treated your family, yourself, and your sister horrendously. It's just disgusting what boorish , rude human beings they become because of WT teachings filling up their heads. I totally understand not wanting to have anything to do with your JW mom after how she treated you and your family. Your JW mom sounds like my ex-wife and how she has put me down to my adult JW daughters. It's sick. Please know we are here for you as a support O.K. ? Take care.

ZED is DEAD- Mrs. Flipper says " hiya " ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am not shunned as a fader. As long as I don't DA or get DF'ed, I think my mother will keep contact. I actually think she will keep it anyway, but she says she will "follow the rules" so I don't find out.

As for the rest of the JW's, I don't give a rat's ass. I rarely cross paths with them and they don't shun me, but they definitely don't take 3 steps to cross my path. I have, in the past, been right in the parking lot to pick up the wife at the Hall. She tells me, Sister So-and-so said to say 'Hi.' I say "Really? She saw me in the car and could have said it personally instead of walking past."

I don't care, I don't hold that against the members. It's that frigging cult that causes such reactions.

I think I will care less and less as time goes by about being outed.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

We wouldn't be called "faders" if we could just walk away without the destructive consequences. It's the unatural, forced separation from our family that we fear the most. We should be allowed to have a change in our beliefs - and be left alone, understood, loved and respected....

I have never understood how someone can shun a child or sibling - acting as though they were dead - and yet spend hundreds of hours speaking to complete strangers. When that stranger becomes an "interested one", that JW will bend over backwards and jump through hoops to assist, support and encourage this "new one". How many times have you heard someone introduce the person that studied with them as their "spiritual Mom"... and that "Mom" hasn't talked to her own child for years (or decades) because of the shunning "law"....

Insane.

• jemba
    jemba

It has ruined any relationship I could have had with my parents and siblings. I was kicked out of home at 15 for not agreeing with the truth, they shunned me then. Again when I was DF at 20 (later reinstated FOR my family) and now that I have finally said ENOUGH!!

I am now bad association. I can finally see though that it is THEM... my family and all the other suckers in that org that are in the wrong.

We have every right to choose our own path in life without anyone else passing judgement.

• flipper
    flipper

Hey, OTWO! I'm pretty sure your mom and your wife don't want to lose you. They ain't dummies!

Thanks, gingerbread - it really is mind boggling.

Jemba, that is so sad. I would say pretty extreme to do that to a 15 year old, but there are so many stories here of abusive behavior toward young people. Their group insanity is chilling.

Thanks for your stories. People need to know this is happening. Mrs. Flipper

• Simon
    Simon

That's a sad letter to read.

Because of shunning I lost out on a lot of time with my father when I was young and now don't have contact with my mother or sisters or any of the friends I grew up with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit