Who has experienced a REAL demonic incident?

by Monsieur 418 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    GromitSK:
    To jump to a conclusion either way, particularly about a stranger is likely to provoke an unconstructive reaction.

You make it sound as though the two arguments of 'supernatural cause' versus 'natural cause' have equal merits. They don't. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There is in fact no premise on which to base a conclusion that such experiences are actually 'supernatural'.

And it is potentially damaging to indulge people in fantasies about ghosts and demons where there may be a legitimate health risk.

Do you really imagine it is better to protect someone's feelings at the expense of leaving a serious medical condition undiagnosed??

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I agree Gromit this thread is about discussing experiences. If people have odd experiences that they can't explain what is wrong with talking about them? Jumping to conclusions as you say is inconstructive and not likely to lead to positive results in a discussion.

Some of these reactions reminded me of when I left the JWs and eventually after some years started to look into Humanism. My husband and I sent off for some information from the Humanist Society. We were interested because we were moving away from a belief in God and we liked the idea of shifting our focus to human acheivements and on to the idea that humans are great and not rubbish and sinful. However when the info arrived it started with, we do not believe in anything paranormal, we do not believe in life after death etc. We thought blimey this sounds like a religious catechism.

We were put off straight away. We'd had quite enough of being told what to believe. We just wanted to look at ideas and explore all the thoughts we were never allowed to think for thirty years or so. Some people on here just want to brainstorm, throw stuff in without immediate replies of well that's rubbish because you can't prove it!

I don't believe in demons but why can't people be allowed to tell odd experiences without being insulted? Which is breaking posting guideline #1, by the way.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Jethro what would you like to see as evidence?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Oh I see so my "event" or story would make a good post IF I hadnt given away the ending? In other words if I still believed it to have happened and was ascribing supernatural powers to it then it would thus make a good post?

Do I have that correct?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

What evidence do you have? Evidence can mean different things to different people btw...

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Witness My Fury are you asking me what evidence I have?

• still thinking
    still thinking

The brain is the most complex thing known to man, all of your senses combine there to create your reality, it can be fooled and it can fool itself...Witness My Fury

It sure can...just try some of these online brain teasers and you will see for yourself that you cannot always trust what you believe you see.

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot,
    the dots will remain only one color, pink.

However if you stare at the black " +" in the center, the moving dots turns to green.

Now, concentrate on the black " + " in the center of the picture. After a short period, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see only a single green dot rotating.

It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don't disappear. This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I understand that one of my daughters lecturers at University was also an exorcist I dont think he was considered mentally ill

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

we don't always see what we think we see.

Nobody is disputing that ,Still, but we sometimes experience things we don't understand and can't explain and we would like to share them with other human beings especially as experience is subjective. For example I didn't see the pink dots disappear, they stayed and I started to see a green circle of dots as well ... but I can't prove it Interesting though.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I understand that one of my daughters lecturers at University was also an exorcist I dont think he was considered mentally ill

That's an appeal to authority and a false syllogism.

Being a lecturer at a university doesn't prevent a person being superstitious, and mental illness isn't the only explanation for believing in supernatural phenomena.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit