AAWA has caused divisions and has lost the opportunity to be effective

by NoRegrets 162 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

{A great amount of the pages surrounding AAWA was concerning a breach of trust and unsatisfactory action, even to the point of vilifying the victims. I was told I "should have picked better friends." }

Dagney, unfortunately you are right. Many people have been alienated from the group and many will have no desire to go around it as a result. Much of the criticism could have been taken in a constructive way and was to an extent considering the security measures that are now in place. Still the foundations will always be held with skepticism and could remain a deterrent for many who would otherwise lend their support.

I think this highlights the importance of weighing seriously what is put into print or stated from AAWAs PR stance. While we all have ideals and concerns nobody should EVER be made to feel they have been "vilified" Moving forward AAWA will hopefully avoid these scenarios and the segregative chain of events that follows.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days.

1) People want freedom.

2) You must fight for it.

Making changes can be very frightening. It has to start sometime. I think as a fader, it's frightening to see someone go up against the WTBTS. We have been told our whole lives that the WTBTS has God's backing. I still get chills sometimes, I think, " What if I am wrong?" I think about the heat that may come my way as the WTBTS cracks down on dissent. Well, that is selfish and cowardly. Think about the children being abused because " God's one true channel " won't even follow the law..

If you don't like the name, fine. I don't, but I don't have a better one. So I am keeping my mouth shut. If you can't join, that's okay. Maybe the name will turn some away, maybe it won't. Everything could be perfect, but there will always be those too afraid to face truth. Those ones can stay home while others do the fighting. That's okay too. That's people fight. They fight for those who can't.

I am sure that we will all accept the benefits that AAWA may provide in the future. That being said, let's not armchair quarterback and complain if we don't want to be on the front lines. Revolutions are frightening, change is scary. That's the way it is. No go home and watch Braveheart, Rocky, Rudy, Unbreakable, whatever movie makes you want to kick ass and then go kick some.

Peace,

DD

• jgnat
    jgnat

"Actually, IMHO, every person here is a Rosa Parks, especially the ones that have stood up and faced their congregations, JC's, elders, friends and family. Every single one." - Dagney

Worth repeating. Bravo.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Whether AAWA will continue or not I don't know. I just find the whole thing rather depressing. The idea of apostates organising themselves, coming together, and combining their skills, is very exciting, and is surely long overdue. But to watch egos get in the way, and the car crash unfold in the way that it has, is almost too cringeworthy to bear. And even if/when all the dust settles over the Facebook disaster, the Anderson resignation, the pseudonymous president controversy, the obfuscation and so on. When the dust settles on all of that... they still have this really stupid name that puts off most supporters of their cause, never mind anyone else. I suspect AAWA will continue as is for some time, if for no other reason than simply under the weight and forward momentum of the ego of its elusive president. But it's a sorry story.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“But to watch egos get in the way, and the car crash unfold in the way that it has, is almost too cringeworthy to bear.”

slimboyfat,

You attribute far more to the activity in and around JWN and its participants that either deserves.

- Egos are not in the balance.

- There is no crash.

These are perceptions within the little teapot we call JWN.

Don’t misunderstand me. JWN is a good teapot. But in the broader scope of things AAWA wants to and is pursuing, it’s inconsequential to success or failure.

Success or failure of AAWA will depend on structural integrity, passion, resources and talent.

The sky has not fallen. Life as we know it will continue.

Marvin Shilmer

• Blttex
    Blttex

I assume that we are all here because we are searching for answers. So why would we beat up a group of people who are trying to provide help to others who are doing the same thing. If someone else can do it better, why did they get involved with JW's to start with? It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. Instead of beating each other up why not offer our support instead or at least stay out of the way. Anyone who wishes can start their own group if they want to.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" That's people fight. They fight for those who can't. "

Sorry, that should have read, " That's why some people fight. They fight for those who can't." Working and typing..

@ Bittex,

" I assume that we are all here because we are searching for answers. So why would we beat up a group of people who are trying to provide help to others who are doing the same thing. If someone else can do it better, why did they get involved with JW's to start with? It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. Instead of beating each other up why not offer our support instead or at least stay out of the way. Anyone who wishes can start their own group if they want to."

• LostInTranslation
    LostInTranslation

Feeling that I am more of an "observer" here on JWN, having never been a JW myself. I have kept most of my opinions to myself, but I feel the need to finally say my piece here

I have read all of the threads regarding AAWA, Postive, Negative and indifferent.

But I just CANNOT wrap my head around all of the negativity about this group!

OK, some people may not love the name... And yes, I FULLY understand the issue and problems caused with the breech of confidence when people were added to the group who shouldn't have been.

all duly noted!

HOWEVER, How can anyone fault a group who are attempting to make Positive change?? Why are SO many people so quick to want to see them fail? I just don't understand?

"be the change that you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

Marvin Shilmer:

as a Volunteer for AAWA myself (I am a crisis counsellor by education), and being involved in some of the inner workings I couldn't agree with you more on your most recent statement:

"Success or failure of AAWA will depend on structural integrity, passion, resources and talent.

The sky has not fallen. Life as we know it will continue."

• mind blown
    mind blown

What good is a group if mistakes where made and no action was taken to rectify the situation.

Was the FB Group Page with hundreds of people who were unknowingly outted deleted, and start a new? NO. There's still many on FB who don't even know they are part of that group.

Did they give a heart felt apology after mistakes were made? No. Only after pressure from JWN

Did they continue to spin a story only to cover mistakes? Yes. Until they were outted.

• clarity
    clarity

Have we never observed someone starting a new job?

Have we never started a new job ourselves?

>

Do you remember how it feels?

>

Did you have a fellow worker explain your mistakes?

>

Did that fellow worker see your potential, giving you the

benefit of the doubt?

>

If so, I bet you will never forget that awesome person.

>

Let us be AWESOME!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit