AAWA has caused divisions and has lost the opportunity to be effective

by NoRegrets 162 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, what happened, I think a new organization that treats its volunteers very well can be very effective. It might be premature to write off AAWA.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I've seen these sort of campaigns before and believe me they have little effect…. Best thing an ex can do is to simply be happy and lead a fulfilling life….”

Claptrap like that minimizes the huge cumulative impact of ‘little effects’ resulting from initiative, and essentially encourages a person to do blend into a greater collective.

Human society is moved along by folks acting in good conscience in the face of adversity to do something about that adversity to reduce it or find ways to better cope. The author quoted above appears to think founders of AAWA are doing something other than trying to live a happy and fulfilling life, which happens to include the AAWA initiative.

Has it occurred that a happy and fulfilling life for active and productive individuals includes initiatives to help the cause of reducing danger and abuses?

In AAWA I see a collection of very active persons who are trying to lead a happy and fulfilling life by doing something they want to do with their time and resources. And how does the peanut gallery here respond? Pretty much like every other peanut gallery.

Criticism is a good thing. But there is a difference between folks who can spot problems and folks who can spot problems, formulate potential solutions to those problems and then put their time and resources into that solution. One qualifies for his or her local peanut gallery. The other qualifies as a productive member of society.

Rosa Parks had no idea the fury her “little effect” would release for the good of society, and it didn’t matter. She chose to act. Thanks goodness she opted to act regardless of corner-dwellers whose apparent mission in life was to stand around gawking about why this or that won’t work.

Humans find out what works by doing things. It’s been that way from antiquity, and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. Unfortunately, the peanut gallery persists as well.

Marvin Shilmer

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That wasn't the point of my question. You mentioned being treated well, like it was note worthy. (Are you a hostage?). That's why I asked why you wouldn't be treated well. I never said they were assholes, just misguided and under educated for what they are trying to accomplish.

Honestly, I have to write of AAWA. There has been so many groups before them, that anyone who tries to organize is going to get lumped into the, "Here comes another deluded self appointed Messiah, here to take down the WT", group.

There's nothing I can say or do to stop anyone from attempting to organize the troops. Nor do I want to. I've just become weary of it, just like I became weary of Armageddon around the corner.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“It's been a bad start, true, here on JWN but so far the volunteers they have attracted are top-rate, and I have been treated very well.”

jgnat,

Thanks for sharing your experience to date.

From my perspective, a bad or good start “here on JWN” is not much of an indicator, and in the scheme of things not very important. In the end a robust structure together with passion, resources and talent will determine whatever success AAWA finds.

Please keep us posted on your work.

Marvin Shilmer

<<<< It amazing how you perfectly described the very thing you wrote. Bravo!>>>>

That description fits you as well, EP. Perfectly.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“There's nothing I can say or do to stop anyone from attempting to organize the troops. Nor do I want to. I've just become weary of it, just like I became weary of Armageddon around the corner.”

wha happened?,

One good thing about new blood is: new energy.

New blood in a particular initiative tends to be less experienced in that initiative; hence mistakes are inevitable. But the notion of new blood presumes old blood, and new blood has some advantage based on old blood’s history.

To some extent new blood can stand on the shoulders of old blood, but not entirely. New blood will wear out, and wear out fast if it fails to make the initiative its own. Owning an initiative fuels passion.

In large measure the AAWA initiative is new blood. From my perspective, this is a good thing. I expect to see blunders. I expect to see ingenuity. It should be interesting, and hopefully productive toward the group’s mission.

For sure I understand the weariness of Watchtower’s relentless “Armageddon’s around the corner” mantra. From the get-go it’d of been better to have taught Watchtower associates to live like Christ and leave it at that. There is no biblical support for making folks feel like they’re on the precipice of “paradise” 24/7. It’s cruel, and it wears people out.

Marvin Shilmer

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well if this "new blood" turns out to be anything, fine. I'm just not going to line up behind a cartoon character.

• Glander
    Glander

Jehovah's witnesses have historically drawn strength and resolve from overt opposition. Persecution is a form of fuel to zealots.

When I see the WTB&TS with shrinking members and growth projections, struggling financially and becoming shrill about 'apostate' influence, my reaction is - Get out of their way, their credibility is collapsing under it's own weight.

Sites such as JWN are availble to anyone who is looking for support or simply exploring their doubts.

The AAWA effort had good intentions but I think it was doomed from the beginning by it's own trumpets and fanfare. I agree that there was a factor involved that was sincere but misunderstood the dynamics of the JW organization.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Well if this "new blood" turns out to be anything, fine. I'm just not going to line up behind a cartoon character.”

wha happened?,

So long as “new blood” is not harming anyone it’s fine.

Who we line up with is always our prerogative.

Marvin Shilmer

• Honesty
    Honesty

AAWA extends an open offer to the Governing Body of the Watch Tower Society (or their representatives) to meet with AAWA to discuss ways in which the organization can introduce much-needed reforms concerning the above core issues.

http://jwactivists.org/who-are-we/

Dear AAWA,

Thank you for your kind invitation to sit down with you to discuss ways in which Jehovah's organization

can introduce much needed reforms concerning what you refer to as core issues.

In case you aren't aware, we have been appointed by Jesus as his faithful and discreet slave and are

carrying out his wishes for his Father's organization.

However, we will be more than happy to sit down with you for an open discussion provided that you

supply us with a list of all your current and past members, including their addresses and telephone numbers.

Sincerely,

The Governing Body of Jehover's Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit