Problems with the "Bogus AWAA Fan Page"..

by OUTLAW 447 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Simon
    Simon

https://www.facebook.com/help/220336891328465

Enough evidence yet?

What are the privacy options for groups?

There are three privacy options for groups: Open, Closed and Secret. The table below shows who can join these groups and what people can see about them.

OpenClosedSecret
    Who can join?Anyone can join or be added by a memberAnyone can ask to join or be addedAnyone, but they have to be added
    Who can see the group name and who's in it?AnyoneAnyoneOnly members
    Who can see posts in the group?AnyoneOnly membersOnly members
    Who can find the group in search?AnyoneAnyoneOnly members
    Who can see stories about the group on Facebook (like in News Feed and search)?AnyoneAnyoneOnly members

https://www.facebook.com/help/103763583048280

How do I join a group?

To join a group, click Join Group in the upper-right corner of the group's page. You may have to wait for a group admin to approve your request. In some groups, you can also be added by someone who is already a member.

Some things to keep in mind when you join a group:

• People may see when you join an open or closed group, or that you're a member of that group, such as in news feed or search.
    • When someone adds you to an open or closed group, others may see that you've been invited (ex: in news feed or search). Once you visit a group you're invited to, you'll become a member and other people may see you joined.
    • Certain groups on Facebook are secret and may not appear in search results. You can see them once a group member adds you.

• Dagney
    Dagney

People were added by friends who thought that they would be interested in joining the group.

And that's okay with AAWA? They "thought" they would be interested and they get to have "Anti-Watchtower Activist" in their personal feed? One of my points to Juan was I didn't have the choice. That's what's wrong with AAWA and and not the other exJWgroups.

Edited to add: As I told Juan, no, AAWA does not get it. Still. Sadly.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Good grief. What a goat rodeo. AAWA seems about as well thought out as the Hindenburg.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Nomad Soul for verifying that. I now have evidence to satisfy me that no faders are currently in danger of being exposed - which is precisely what I needed.

So, to re-cap....

JWN asked for an explanation of what happened, including an apology. Juan Viejo2 wrote a 1,600+ word essay explaining everything to the best of his knowledge, which also included a full apology on behalf of AAWA.

Then...

JWN, including its founder, demanded that we deliver the name of the person responsible for setting up the bogus AAWA group and adding people without their knowledge. I provided a statement this morning indicating that we would gladly do that for anyone who was directly and negatively impacted by the incident if they emailed us directly. Juan Viejo2 only received one email, and it was from someone who could provide no evidence whatsoever of any negative impact (he/she just wanted the name).

Then...

JWN demanded that we take down our 1,300+ member SECRET group, insinuating that faders are currently at risk.

We have investigated this claim and discovered both internally and on this forum that it is impossible for non-members to see who members are, regardless of whether they have been added to our group mistakenly or not. This effectively means that no faders on our group are currently at risk.

I'm sorry to say this folks, but there is nothing more we can do. We have apologized for any negligence on our part, we have taken steps to remedy/limit any damage, and we have established that nobody is currently at risk.

If despite all this you still have a problem with AAWA, please email us at [email protected]

Cedars

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Per request via PM, fuzzywiglet would still like a direct answer to these points on page 6:

2) Even if it couldn't/shouldn't show up, it's unethical to force-add people. Your coordinator DID force-add people, she force-added a LOT of people, and it's become clear over the past several days that a huge chunk of those people had no idea they were force-added, were not notified by Facebook or did not see the notification, and are still members. Now that you are aware they were added without permission, you don't get to presume that they want to be a member unless they figure it out.

3) Since someone force-added 1,000 people, and now you're trying to say they could have been referred from other ex-JW FB groups, who's to say they didn't force-add people masquerading as ex-JWs, who they believed to be ex-JWs? We already know there are JWs who do that, start a mole FB account, join ex-JW FB boards, and collect apostate names, and then publish them on sites like "Apostate Watchdog". Now they're very possibly inside your "secret" group, and they can see names of 1,000 people who did not necessarily consent to having their name affiliated with that group. If an "out" ex-JW makes an informed decision to put their name on your group, secret or not, that is one thing. But it is not your place to decide that for them.

• cedars
    cedars

Simon, the AAWA group in question is a secret group - as I said before.

Cedars

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

So, to re-cap....

Why am I reminded of 1975 and 1981?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Dagney - you are making this out to be something sinister.

ONLY other members of the group will see any mention as it is a secret group -NOT a closed group.

Only your friends can add you, if I had a fading JW friend with JW's on their friends list, would I add them? Of course not!!!

If someone was added who didn't want to be, they can unsubscribe.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well the corporation has spoken. NO further need for investigation. Where have I heard this before?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That's right Dagney. It's your fault that someone added you without your consent and now You are just to lazy to remove yourself. What a horrible sinister human being you are

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit