AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Simon
    Simon

Not sure why this topic was locked or who by.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Simon I locked by request of Cedars I had made a post about that but I guess it got lost along the way

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

you could name it "association for the worship of jehovah and his governing body" and you would not wake up most JW's. so i dont really think thats a factor. the part of this that i think is great is that it seems this group is going to try to bring awareness to the public about the watchtowers policys. i think you have a better chance at that than waking JW's up. waking JW's up should be a back seat issue, the main issue imo should be exposing watchtower and its insane policies.

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon I locked by request of Cedars I had made a post about that but I guess it got lost along the way

Really? You locked it again? There is nothing violating the posting guidelines here so no reason to lock it. Please moderate THIS site according to THIS site's guildelines only.

We're not here to just be an announcement board for another site. This is a discussion forum. People posting things should expect discussion which can involve differing opinions.

Last time I checked, Cedars was NOT a moderator of this site either directly or by proxy.

Whether people like or don't like the name is immaterial. Only those running an organization get to chose the name and that is what they have chosen. This doesn't mean people can't have an opinion about it though.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks Simon!

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Simon, sorry about that.

Cedars

• Simon
    Simon

While I'm here, may as well give my opinion.

I think it's a god awful name. It just fits in to their rhetoric and idea that there are oganized opposers ("Anti-WatchTower" precisely) and the term "Activists" also has too strong of a negative connotation IMO.

For me, something promoting the idea of freedom, help and support would have been better. e.g. the WatchTower Underground Railroad (just off the top of my head).

Ultimately though, I don't think people leave the WTS for any logical or reasoned argument so names may be irrelevant anyway. In their own time people see what the WTS is really like, typically through personal experiences or something affecting them directly.

That isn't to say I don't support those trying to do something and I hope those involved don't take that as an attack on them - it's meant as constructive criticism (and ultimately is just one guy's opinion).

As I said before, those doing get to pick the name they want to do things under and I wish them every success.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

This is wonderful very exciting!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

For me, something promoting the idea of freedom, help and support would have been better.

I would have to agree, it comes off being too strongly oppositional, which as its known causes many wandering or fading

JWS to quickly repel the name and connotation upon hearing it.

One could even think that this association is made up of people who were never JWS, but just wanting to throw as much

dirt as they can on to JWS.

How about the Association of Recovering Jehovah's Witnesses. (ARJW)

This way it sounds more inviting for people wanting to know what are JWS recovering from and for what reason ?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think it's a god awful name.

This is why I love this place!

Hallelujah!

Oh the freedom!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit