First mention of "new light" may appear in July 15, 2013 Watchtower

by cedars 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"evidently".

• Ding
    Ding

Every time the GB changes an important teaching (overlapping generations, FDS = GB only, for example), I think it will tear the organization apart... only to find that most JWs yawn and say, "Isn't this the way it's been all along?"

• Comatose
    Comatose

Thanks Cedars! Been anxiously awaiting this. I had shared my concern previously with my IN parents. My pops spent hours on WT CDROM trying to help me but kept noticing all the info didn't apply since the new light change. So they are both well aware of the old light. This will be interesting.

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub
    From jwfacts.org:
    1900's

"The 1290 days now have been given a rather unusual 20th century application. This time period is now said to refer to days and not years, and be related to the period of time between the set up of the League of Nations in January 8th 1918 to the Cedar Point convention on September 3rd 1922.

Strangely enough there are not 1290 days, but 1334 days between these two conventions, so the prophecy is around two months out. To make it fit the Watchtower makes the claim that Daniel was referring to 30 day months and hence 43 months. From January 1918 to September 1922 is 43 months if you do not count the first and last month. In other words solar days are converted to lunar months and then applied to solar months to make this prophecy fit, quite a stretch of the imagination.

"The 1,290 days are therefore reckoned from the date of the setting up of the abomination, which was in the latter part of January, 1919. This period of 3 years and 7 months ends at September, 1922-the very time of the Cedar Point Convention mentioned above." Watchtower 1951 Jul 15 p.43"

Phizzy, "Evidently", "Indeed"!

Whereas, I now have taken a vow of silence regarding dub interpretation of prophycy, (It's all crap, so no point in wasting precious time debating or discussing it!), my point in posting the above is that I figured this out on my own. I asked my el-dubs about it. They were clueless and told me to write to Bethel (Oh, for the days when one could actually do that!) I received a 6-page response. My el-dubs asked me if I understood it. I said, "Yes". They didn't ask me if I agreed with the explanation. (Too bad the letter went in the circular file.) I knew it was crap, but I still stayed in. I really just thought, "Whatever, so they're off by a couple of months."

Doctrinal flip-flops and morphing don't matter to an all-in uber-dub. I absorbed over four decades of this and only had my moment of clarity when the cognitive dissonance nearly pushed me to insanity. Then and only then, when I had to make the decision to shun or not to shun my own son, did I walk away. After I walked away I learned TTATT! Just sayin'.

Rubbity

PS It seems more of my true personality is showing through this morning!

• cedars
    cedars

I've just had this sent to me by my contact, who has kindly typed out paragraph 10 from the key article...

Who then is the faithful and discreet slave? In keeping with Jesus' pattern of feeding many through the hands of a few, that slave is made up of a small group of anointed brothers who are directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food during Christ's presence. Throughout the last days, the anointed brothers who make up the faithful slave have served together at headquarters. In recent decades, that slave has been closely associated with the Governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. Note, however, that the word "slave" In Jesus' illustration is singular, indicating that this is a composite slave. The decisions of the Governing Body are thus made collectively.

As you can see, there is little or no elaboration from what was announced at the Annual Meeting. If all of the material is like this, then it might as well have been lifted directly from the notes that were used on the platform in October.

It will be interesting to see whether any other parts of the article attempt to explain, for example, how a "Slave" that was chosen in 1919 is still being chosen on an ongoing basis as previous members of the Board of Directors / Governing Body die off (or resign!). They really SHOULD try to explain this for the new teaching to have any sort of credibility, but I won't be holding my breath.

Cedars

• pixel
    pixel

Thanks Cedars! Useful information.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Its almost as if they are making it up as they go along.....sheesh!

Thanks Cedars :)

• cedars
    cedars

pixel

Thanks Cedars! Useful information.

Don't thank me, thank my source! And I would prefer to think of this as a "heads up" rather than information until we can get our hands on a scan of the article in question. I'm glad you find it useful though - so do I.

Cedars

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It looks like I won't have to pioneer after all!

• princecharmant
    princecharmant

Fact is, this board and its readers are far more interested in "new light" than the average JW. The believing JW does not care one way or the other what "refinements" or changes are made in the teaching. As far as he/she reads it off the pages of the Watch Tower, it is revealed truth. The matter ends there. Very few take any time to assimilate the impact of the changes made or the contradictions between such changes and "old light".

Neither this "change" nor any others to come will cause any fundamental shift in minds bought to the WT cause.

pc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit