Yet another "Shunning is good for you, honest!" quote in the June 15th 2013 Watchtower

by cedars 104 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

The resulting dysfunction in my family will last for generations

Exactly, Suraj K. It doesn't matter how long you are DF'd. The action itself is profoundly damaging. I don't know how people can get over it and continue on as normal once reinstated.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The bible is perceived by men to be a book of power, all assuming power who men have a wanting desire of that power.

Thats why there's so many Christian religions today.

The WTS/JWS is just another example of this certain observation.

Interesting enough if you read the bible there is clear instuctions of disposing/killing of false prophets, of course the false prophets of that era didn't

proselytize from their own printed literature as the WTS organization does.

Well its 2013 and its quite obvious that there will be no killing of false Prophets in this day and era.

Organized religions today can assemble themselves and operate practically with totally immunity.

Heres is what happened to false prophets in ancient Judea/Israel.

? Deuteronomy 13:5 ?
    New International Version (©2011)
    That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    The false prophets or visionaries who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who redeemed you from slavery and brought you out of the land of Egypt. Since they try to lead you astray from the way the LORD your God commanded you to live, you must put them to death. In this way you will purge the evil from among you.

• Mum
    Mum

When I left my family to become a JW, I missed many of my family members. My dad came from a large family, and I have many cousins close to my age. I did not live near any of them, and it made me sad and uncomfortable to know that all of them were going to die "soon" and then I'd never even have the opportunity to see them.

So, after 17 years, I left the JW's and went back to my family. They treated me as if nothing had ever happened. I had isolated them, not the other way around.

It works both ways.

My daughter was never baptized a JW. My granddaughter know nothing about them, but feels sorry for her mother because she didn't get to have birthday parties or Christmas celebrations or anything that was fun and child-like.

We whose families are not JW's have something gooooood to go back to.

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

I don't really blame the GB for shunning.I was a born in and even as a child i found it difficult to understand how men could tell me not to speak to my family members.So every chance i got i spoke to them,even though my parents would blow there tops.A lot of people in the org look at following the rules that the Gb hand down about shunning as a badge of honor, all they have to do is use a little compassion and free will.Surely if i hade this as a mere child grown adults should have it too.

• Cyruse
    Cyruse

Now this is the kinda topic I can freely post on without feeling like I'm joining the parade of pettiness I see here from time to time. This is crap, and I immediately noticed that they recycled the same thing from last year. I have a relative who got DFed recently and as I told the close family circle around me, I will not change my relationship with the relative even one bit. Given, there is factors that make that extremely easy to get away with, but whatever.

The current understanding of shunning within the congregation is some of the most small minded crap I have ever witnessed. I'm ok with it on a personal level though, because I still have a very solid faith in God and his promises, however they actually turn out. With that being said, the shunning thing and its application by the society is going to be the bane of many, many, many people who think there doing the right thing.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

and what 'robert' really meant was that he needed his family so much that he pretended to love god and obey the governing body in order to have them even check if he was still alive.

It is indeed a cult i now admit

oz

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I read an article recently that said ignoring or cutting people off socially is extremely painful and damaging to people. This organization is so afraid of their lies being exposed that they are getting more and more adamant about their shunning policy. They are OK that a certain number will commit suicide due to this, just collateral damage for them.

I got an email recently from my sister, it was to all the siblings about our brothers recent health issue. I responded to all with some info about my recent health issues. I got a response from my elder brother, who hasn't talked to me in ten years, saying how nice it was to hear from me. I didn't respond, I know how the dubs constantly change the rules about treatment of the disfellowshipped. I don't want to start a dialog and then have him feel guilty and cut me off again. By the rules in this article even the email about my health is forbidden. This is a sick twisted evil cult that has torn my family apart for thirty years and continues to do so. It's clear he and my sister miss me, but cult brainwashing prevents them from showing the normal love and affection that they feel. Sad.

Meanwhile, my husband and brother-in-law are conspiring to get my sister and I together, as they are coming to my town soon. I told him I didn't want to do a sneak and just show up as they were planning. It will be interesting to see if she agrees with the plans.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was reminded of an old article from the '50s I read, that highlights just how sick this concept was. Here's the March 1, 1952 WT, page 134, paragraph 8--now this is how JWs are viewing someone who is DF'd, this hasn't changed, really:

Such an individual has no place in the clean organization or congregation of God. He should go back to the wicked group that he once came from and die with that wicked group with Satan’s organization.

"Go back and die". There you have it.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

IS IT proper to disfellowship? Yes, as we have just seen in the above article, God put out of his congregation those that were opposed to him and that were corrupt. He disfellowshiped them. He got rid of them, and he advises us to do so with such persons.--The Watchtower, March 1, 1952, page 137.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I haven't seen my only brother since April 1979. I talked to him this year. He has had 3 heart attacks.

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit