New Pope about to come out

by new22day 303 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The Catholic Church produces very good books about the Bible. They know it backwards... and so they should... they wrote it, lol.

• talesin
    talesin

The Church does not teach that homosexuality is a sin, yet you are ignorant about that fact. You repeat your ignorance because you are a bigot. QED.

Oh, here's an interesting piece from Time magazine, Sulla. The [Catholic] writer seems to think that the new Pope is a bigot. You may want to do a bit of research on the new Pope before make such sweeping statements. QED.

From Time magazine, today.

And yet, in 2010, we found out that Bergoglio’s attitude toward other underdogs can be remarkably cruel. When Argentina legalized gay marriage that summer, the objection of the Catholic hierarchy, which considers homosexuality a sin, wasn’t surprising. But it wasn’t enough for Bergoglio to criticize the law; he felt compelled to demonize homosexuals in the process—calling gay unions “a scheme to destroy God’s plan” and “a dire anthropological throwback.” In that sense he was just echoing the homophobia of his boss, Pope emeritus Benedict XVI, who in 2008 had asserted that saving humanity from homosexuals was as urgent as saving the rain forests from lumberjacks. But there was something especially hateful, something that moved beyond doctrinal defense into bald bigotry, about the way Bergoglio lashed out. Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/03/13/why-the-first-latin-american-pope-inspires-less-hope-than-we-hoped/#ixzz2NgZivnzD

• talesin
    talesin

LMAO @ transhuman :P

• still thinking
    still thinking

Interesting article tal...

I thought this comment was pertinent to this discussion too...

Thanks to the Catholic hierarchy’s hardline political power, no region has as many countries (five) that ban abortion in all cases, even rape, incest and when the mother’s life is at risk. At the same time, few regions have such draconian restrictions on access to birth control.

Little wonder, then, that few regions also see as many unsafe clandestine abortions: more than 4 million a year, according to the New York-based Guttmacher Institute—a quarter of which result in hospitalizations or death from complications. According to Human Rights Watch, 40% of all pregnancies in Argentina end in illegal abortions. Some Latin American countries, especially in Central America, suffer maternal mortality rates 20 times higher than Western Europe’s.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/03/13/why-the-first-latin-american-pope-inspires-less-hope-than-we-hoped/#ixzz2NhVVFtWz

This is what happens when the catholic church has too much power and control. And this is how they treat women.

Also, interesting to note the drop in figures for catholic Latin americans too. Very strategic electing him as pope when over 40% of the worlds catholics are latin american and they are leaving in their droves to protestant religions. It's no wonder the catholic church are romancing Protestant clergy...LOL

The great positive I saw in that article is that people are going elsewhere for their religious fix. Shame they still feel the need. But hey, at least they are voting with their feet and sending a message to the church that they are NOT happy with their rules.

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL trans...

• Sulla
    Sulla

I would have hoped that you could grasp the distinction, talesin, between the opinion of some writer at Time magazine (whatever that is -- I seem to recall some people used to read it back in the day) and tha actual teaching of the Church. That you do not grasp this distinction is a little sad to me. Of course, still thinking betrays his moniker whenever this sort of thing happens, so that's another reason not to encourage him, isn't it?

But have we all agreed that the Church doesn't teach homosexuality is a sin? Or are we still trying to blow past that distinction because it gets in the way of the conclusion we wanted? Wait, don't answer that: I bet I know.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL still thinking! I wonder if the church really is responsible for so much suffering. It is the Catholic (universal) church, after all, and many South American countries have a naturally 'macho' culture anyway, and the Catholic Church historically adapts to local cultures quite well. It's a huge church, with 1.2 billion members, and it seems to have something to offer almost everyone. I'm impressed by the Bible scholarship it produces; and if I wasn't an atheist I would be tempted to join, LOL.

• new22day
    new22day

Still thinking -- The great positive I saw in that article is that people are going elsewhere for their religious fix. Shame they still feel the need. But hey, at least they are voting with their feet and sending a message to the church that they are NOT happy with their rules.

Isn't this the crux of the matter? People have the freedom to leave. I'm not so willing to look at them as victims of the big bad church. People have a choice. As noted above, there is a LGBT group loyal to the RCC. So educated and informed people are making a choice. That's freedom of speech and choice.

Trans Human: "It is the Catholic (universal) church, after all, and many South American countries have a naturally 'macho' culture anyway, and the Catholic Church historically adapts to local cultures quite well."

Agree with you. A lot of the chauvinism is a reflection of the culture however, I suppose one could ask how much faith shapes the culture.

Sulla: But have we all agreed that the Church doesn't teach homosexuality is a sin?

I'm lost on this point. I think you and FHN are saying that homosexual thoughts are not a sin but homosexual acts are a sin. If that's the point then sorry, but I think it's weak. One can think sinful thoughts but don't act on them. Why? Because homosexuality is a sin. That's really what they are saying. Am I missing something?

• Sulla
    Sulla

I think what you are missing, new22day, is the conclusion that has been drawn from the idea that the Church says homosexuality is a sin. Namely: that the Church is anti-gay. However, the attraction to the same sex is not a sin for, any more than an attraction to people to whom you are not married is a sin. So, the Church says homosexual acts are sinful in exactly the same way that acts between anyone else who is not married are sinful. But we don't suppose that the church is anti-hetero because of this. Neither is it accurate to say that the Church is anti-gay.

Put differently, I may really want to have sex with the tasty interns we hire around my workplace, yet the Church tells me such an act would be sinful. That doesn't mean the Church hates me.

• designs
    designs

Like Leo Greenlees of the Wt., Cardinal Brady will not lose his high position with the Church of Rome. Power is power and corrupt is corrupt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit