New Pope about to come out

by new22day 303 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I learned the hard way not to let any other human control your spiritual journey and relationship with God.

Amen, Empty. I very much agree.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

One of my friends from high school has provided us with a photo of the situation:

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What a facade, funny looking men wearing funny looking cloths with funny looking hats.

All pretentiously made up to create devout direction from one single mans personal opinion .

We humans are really stupid aren't we ?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I never knew this until the past few years, but the vestments the clergy of the roman, anglican and even lutheran churches date back to everyday roman wear. In the beginning, what priests wore was just what everyone else wore. Then they just kept wearing the garments and didn't move along the fashion trends.

• still thinking
    still thinking

18th-century tailor shop prepares clothes for Francis

ROME – Call it the second most secretive process going on in Rome this week.

While 115 cardinals met to select the next pope in the Sistine Chapel amid lock-and-key security and vows of secrecy, a process only slightly more transparent took place a mile to the east.

In Gammarelli, a small shop on Via di Santa Chiara, ecclesiastical tailors awaited news of the next pontiff, so they could get to work immediately on tailoring the cassocks, red shoes and other garments that will go along with his new office.

The Gammarelli family — four members work at the shop, along with a dozen other employees — is not new to the business of outfitting popes and other high-ranking clergy. It has been in business since 1798, providing vestments to the last nine popes, dating back to Pius X, who reigned from 1903 to 1914.

FULL COVERAGE: Vatican in transition

Lorenzo Gammarelli, 40, says it takes at least three days to make a cassock.

"The biggest problem is the cassock, because it's much more complicated than selecting a shoe size," says Gammarelli, part of the sixth generation of ecclesiastical tailors in his family.

When Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina appeared on the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica as Pope Francis, the new leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics wore an off-the-shelf cassock, the traditional white garment worn by popes.

None

Gammarelli says the shop made three different-sized cassocks ahead of time, one of which will almost surely fit the new pope. The shop has set aside six sizes of the red leather loafers Pope Benedict XVI made famous, again calculating that one pair will fit the newly elected pontiff.

"There are 11 different measurements that go into making the cassock fit correctly," Gammarelli said. "Assuming we are selected to provide the garments for the new Holy Father, the measurements will be taken within two or three days of his installation, and a few days after that, he'll have the clothes he needs."

The white cassocks, Gammarelli says, are made of wool, with silk sleeves, while the one-size-fits-all red mozzetta worn over the shoulders is made of velvet. Most of the details about the production are strict secrets. Cost for ecclesiastic garments is provided on a need-to-know basis, Gammarelli says.

Though the garments are made on-site, the Gammarellis won't reveal who makes the shoes they sell, what specific measurements go into making a perfect-fitting cassock, where the fabrics they use come from or any details about how they are stitched together.

"Let's just say we like to maintain a certain discretion," he says.

Popes are not the only customers here.

Conclave time, like any gathering of Vatican leadership from around the world, is a busy time at Gammarelli. Many clergy take advantage of being in Rome to order sets of garments. Since everything is done by hand, work is slow.

When the three papal cassocks were completed March 1, the day after Benedict's abdication, they went on display in the store's window for a few days. They have since been taken down to be sent to the Vatican. The nearly empty window shows only the pope's white skull cap.

Once notified by the Vatican, tailors will take the secret measurements needed to create the new pope's wardrobe. Unlike the service to all the other clerics who make up the shop's clientele, a papal measurement is the only time Gammarelli tailors make house calls.

"Priests, bishops and cardinals come to us," Gammarelli says. "But we go to the pope."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/03/13/papal-clothing/1983263/

• still thinking
    still thinking

I wonder if the nuns have all their clothes hand stitched....most of the ones I've known look like they dress from a thrift shop.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We have to wear uniforms at my job, too. Part of it is contracted out to a special company. I have no idea where the company is, but they don't ask for or need our measurments. I remember when my aunt flew for Delta, they tailored her uniforms so they fit her just right. They were pretty cool with pill box hats and jackets and skirts, pretty yet functional shoes.

I noticed on the TV today that sometimes the pope just wears an all white business suit. The papal suit is something I hadn't ever seen before. Wearing all white makes me nervous. I end up with stains I can't remove. Maybe that chlorox 2 is worth a try. My work shirts are white and they are one huge laundry challenge. I miss the waiters from Morrison's in Mobile of the early 1960s: they wore red cut away jackets and formal black pants. You never wondered if they were patrons or cooks: their uniforms screamed WAITER. It isn't different for popes. You see that white papal vestment and you know the man's not a mechanic.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The therapist I go to for anxiety and grief wears slacks and a button up shirt or blouse. She's a nun and she's a former engineer and a doctor of psychology. You'd never suspect she was a nun unless maybe you took her short, simple hair-do into account and her sensible, comfortable shoes.

• Satanus
    Satanus

So then, WE, the world, basically, are the funny dressed ones. The clergy are dressed normally.

S

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The clergy wears uniforms that are called vestments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit