New Pope about to come out

by new22day 303 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

quick...make it turn the page...LOL

• still thinking
    still thinking

as to do with looking at these beliefs with more than just one lens. Religion obviously provides community, comfort, peace and order for some people. It's also cultural in many parts of the world.

(damn this messed up thread!)

I agree to an extent new22day. It can provide those things. But at what cost to humanity as a whole? And at what cost to the victims of abuse within those organisations. Does one persons comfort and culture over ride the underlying detriment to society and many individuals? Does the continued bigotted belief about homosexuals and women not matter when we are finding personal comfort within it's framework?

How are followers of a faith able to tune out the child abuse that is rampant? Can we do that with the WTS too which is arguably no where near as extensive as the Catholic church?.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I cannot comment on his book 'God is not great' new22day...ironically, I got that out from the library, my partner read it and I was going to read it after him but had to return it because someone else had ordered it after me... (I hate it when that happens) LOL

So it will be a few weeks before I am able to get it out again.

But interesting to note your comments above about it. I will keep that in mind when I do read the book. I may have to revisit that. Thanks

• still thinking
    still thinking

I see you linked the same site FHN...

• still thinking
    still thinking

If there is a god...please....make this page turn!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Lets see what they say about 'other violations of natural law' shall we sulla?

It seems that they put homosexuality in the same classification as Beastiality, murder, kidnapping, mutilation and emotional abuse (and with all their child abuse cases they are well aquainted with that).

Now...isn't murder a sin?

These people sure use some twisty speak, then their apologists come out and deny deny deny...and call people names for only stating what the catholic church does in fact do.

Anything you confess to the priest is considered a sin isn't it? I remember going to confession and being taught 'how' to confess. Forgive me father, for I have sinned...then go on to list them all. I'm sure if I had committed a homosexual act and confessed it...it would have been considered...A SIN. Which I would have had to say a few hail marys and our fathers for forgiveness...and it would be expected that I would stop doing it.

Natural Law

People have a basic, ethical intuition that certain behaviors are wrong because they are unnatural. We perceive intuitively that the natural sex partner of a human is another human, not an animal.

The same reasoning applies to the case of homosexual behavior. The natural sex partner for a man is a woman, and the natural sex partner for a woman is a man. Thus, people have the corresponding intuition concerning homosexuality that they do about bestiality—that it is wrong because it is unnatural.

Natural law reasoning is the basis for almost all standard moral intuitions. For example, it is the dignity and value that each human being naturally possesses that makes the needless destruction of human life or infliction of physical and emotional pain immoral. This gives rise to a host of specific moral principles, such as the unacceptability of murder, kidnapping, mutilation, physical and emotional abuse, and so forth.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Well, dang. Catholic.com sure is uncooperative, Still Thinking. I'm disappointed. Maybe we got so close to agreeing that we threw the universe out of alignment.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

turn attempt

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

turn attempt 2

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

turn attempt 3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest