New Pope about to come out

by new22day 303 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new22day
    new22day

OK I don't want to participate on my own thread anymore because it's just gotten stupid.

One final point: doesn't the new Pope's girlfriend look a lot like Betty White?!!! C'mon - does anyone else see that?

• new22day
    new22day

(Whoops - I made my last post before I read dgp's post that's very interesting and insightful.)

• mP
    mP

dgp:

You made a very good point, its almost like not picking a South American would be an insult to the largest Catholic market. One day if China ever goes Catholic i suppose most popes will be chinese at that time as well. Then again Jesus and all the pirests of the temple in Jerusalem were jewish.

• designs
    designs

ABC is carrying the inauguration of the Pope Live. 2:00AM

There is a special section for the representatives of other Faiths. VP Joe Biden is seen in the section for dignitaries.

• designs
    designs

Interesting homely given by the Pope. Matthew 1 is read by a Eastern Rite priest in Greek. St. Joseph is given as the example of service, as the stepfather of God, he is lauded for his love to St Mary and Jesus as God. 'We must not be afraid of love or tenderness'. The Nicene Creed is then sung by the Cardinals.

• designs
    designs

The Eucharist is being taken, the rite of Transubstantiation. 'Do this in remembrance of me' is sung.

I must say there is a lot of gold on display in this ceremony, a lot, wow!

No doubt about the message of this ceremony going out to all religions- the RCC is #1, homage goes one way.

• designs
    designs

Three Rabbis are sitting in the section reserved for the world's religions, they are seen talking among themselves during the service. After invoking St. Mary the mother of God numerous times I wonder how the squerm factor is going with the Rabbis.

• designs
    designs

'The Chalice of everlasting...blood of Christ' couldn't make out the last part but I have to hand it to the other religious leaders who are non-christian this is a true test, and that they are not bolting under this onslaught of propaganda is a testament to their good humor.

It was interesting that the Pope invoked 'everlasting damnation' at one point, I guess he didn't get the memo about 'universal salvation'.

• soontobe
    soontobe

True to his name sake, he spoke about caring for the poor and the natural world.

The vocation of being a "protector", however, is not just something involving us Christians alone; it also has a prior dimension which is simply human, involving everyone. It means protecting all creation, the beauty of the created world, as the Book of Genesis tells us and as Saint Francis of Assisi showed us. It means respecting each of God's creatures and respecting the environment in which we live. It means protecting people, showing loving concern for each and every person, especially children, the elderly, those in need, who are often the last we think about. It means caring for one another in our families: husbands and wives first protect one another, and then, as parents, they care for their children, and children themselves, in time, protect their parents. It means building sincere friendships in which we protect one another in trust, respect, and goodness. In the end, everything has been entrusted to our protection, and all of us are responsible for it. Be protectors of God's gifts! Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/pope-francis-transcript-of-the-homily-of-the-holy-father-at-the-inauguration-of-his-papal-ministry#ixzz2NzXOqn9U

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    Where there is injury, pardon;
    Where there is doubt, faith;
    Where there is despair, hope;
    Where there is darkness, light;
    Where there is sadness, joy.
    O Divine Master,
    grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
    to be understood, as to understand;
    to be loved, as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
    and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
    Amen.

One of my favorite hymns, based on St. Francis canticle of the sun:

All creatures of our God and King,
    lift up your voices, let us sing:
    Alleluia, alleluia!
    Thou burning sun with golden beams,
    thou silver moon that gently gleams,
    Refrain:
    O praise him, O praise him,
    Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

Thou rushing wind that art so strong,
    ye clouds that sail in heaven along,
    O praise him, Alleluia!
    Thou rising morn, in praise rejoice,
    ye lights of evening, find a voice, (R)

Thou flowing water, pure and clear,
    make music for thy Lord to hear,
    Alleluia, alleluia!
    Thou fire so masterful and bright,
    that givest man both warmth and light, (R)

Dear mother earth, who day by day
    unfoldest blessings on our way,
    O praise him, Alleluia!
    The flowers and fruits that in thee grow,
    let them his glory also show: (R)

And all ye men of tender heart,
    forgiving others, take your part,
    O sing ye Alleluia!
    Ye who long pain and sorrow bear,
    praise God and on him cast your care: (R)

And thou, most kind and gentle death,
    waiting to hush our latest breath,
    O praise him, Alleluia!
    Thou leadest home the child of God,
    and Christ our Lord the way hath trod: (R)

Let all things their Creator bless,
    and worship him in humbleness,
    O praise him, Alleluia!
    Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,
    and praise the Spirit, Three in One: (R)

• jgnat
    jgnat

dgp, thank you for contributing to the conversation.

I might mention that I heard Pope John Paul II live when he visited our city. The media picked up on a single comment in order to have a little controversy. It pays once in a while to listen to a leader in whole to get the full measure of the person.

So thank you, soontobe, for that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit