New Pope about to come out

by new22day 303 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Most priests I know wear street clothing when they aren't on the job. Maybe the pope kicks around in sweat pants when he's in his apartment or sneaking out to the grocery store for a candy bar or oreos.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Like the title, btw; like they are assembling the guy, and he will soon be fully built. A custom made pope.

S

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I guess this is a little off topic, but Still asked about nun habits and whether they are hand stitched like the popes vestments. I wanted to know, so I started researching that. Just like me to get distracted though by a very fun collection of vintage nun photos complete with amusing captions and even more amusing comments underneath. Here's the link: this could spell hours of amusement for you and it's all free.

I didn't have time to look at all 300 something of them, but my favorite and the funniest so far was of the nuns with guns (rifles.) A second would be the nuns running in the ocean waves dressed in full habits.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/57114/album/75049

Here's the link to the "nuns with guns" photo. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/57114/2433127/in/album/75049

• talesin
    talesin

lol, the new Pope is coming out? He's gay?

(sorry, FHN, I can't help it, you opened the door for that one)

To address the PR job .... he washed the feet of AIDS patients, ONCE? what a saint!

Seriously, it's called Public Relations. What *is* a modest flat, exactly? I want pictures. And did he ride the bus daily up until last week? Etc.

Oh, and I can't help wondering about the "Boys from Brazil" (yes, I know he's Argentinian). Would love to know his genealogy, and when his Italian roots moved to SA........... hmmm.... that was the first thought in my mind when I heard the news. Yeah, I am immediately going to 'worst case', but when has the RC ever disappointed in that? Crusades, Reformation, Inquisition, Nazis, etc.

Come on, it's the 21st century. Let's not be naive. He is a ruling member of one of the largest organizations in the world, that is FAMOUS for hiding and covering up pedophilia. I agree with Still Thinking. To achieve that level of success in the profession of RC priest, one has to be able to 'overlook' these minor transgressions of raping children, and then when the Bishop of a diocese is convicted, and restitution to the victims is ordered by the courts, the local parishes have to pony up because the Vatican (one of, if not thewealthiest nation state in the WORLD) won't pay. Let's get real. It's rotten to the core.

xo

tal

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I agree that the RC church has a lotta splainin' to do. I don't look at the individuals in the church the same way you and Still do, though. There are things I hate about the history of the church and things I don't like about it now and find horrible. The way I see it though, it's like any other human institution, rife with contrasts between good and evil and all points in between. I don't hold out any hope that this pope is going to make important changes that are very much needed. I can't say this individual is evil or a monster, though. I only just heard of him today.

I was watching a show about the way the US military handles cases of rape. They are as bad as the RC church. My point in making this comparison is that molestation, rape and cover ups are a human thing. The US military and the RC church are both man made institutions full of human beings. There are bad people in the US military and there are people who are good, trying to do good things. It's the same with the RC church. You're going to find some evil people doing evil things. You're going to find good people, doing very good things. The church is here. It isn't going anywhere. And as long as there are human beings in the church, you're going to have good and evil in it. This pope will not change that.

• talesin
    talesin

I agree, FHN. Just as there are 'nice' JWS. I've not known a great deal of nuns and priests, but the ones I have met seem to be good folk.

But I wouldn't say I could believe that one of the Governing Body was 'nice'. That's what I'm saying .. he is the Pope.

And yes, I am very aware of the sexual abuse and harrassment that goes on in the military, and the RCMP as well as all large police forces, and fire-fighters as well (hmm, all male-dominated); the RCMP recently had a big case on the west coast. It's my belief that higher-ups in these types of highly-regimented organizations, be they religious or secular, are the ones who should be held accountable for the corruption and abuse that takes place in the rank and file. After all, direction comes from above, right? Using the military as an example, look at what happened in Abu Ghraib --- only the lowest of the low were prosecuted - not the ones who gave the orders to torture.

:)

I think it's quite interesting that he is a Jesuit. Any thoughts on that?

• JAFO
    JAFO

For all those here who seem to think he's not a bad guy, down with the poor, and so on.. here's a little reality-slap for you..

http://crooksandliars.com/breaking-news/white-smoke-new-pope-elected

from the article

"Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate.

The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II. What scandal would not have ensued if the first pope ever to be elected from the continent of America had been revealed as an accessory to murder and false imprisonment."

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Pope_Francis_kidnapping_controversy%3A_accused_of_involvement_in_1976_abductions/24741/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Bergoglio was a high-ranking official in the Society of Jesus of Argentina when a military junta was installed in the South American country in 1976. According to the Los Angeles Times, priests Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics were kidnapped in May of that year by the navy. “They surfaced five months later, drugged and seminude, in a field,” the Times reported. A 2005 lawsuit accused Bergoglio of unspecified involvement in the abductions. Reuters explains that “the military government secretly jailed [Yorio and Jalics] for their work in poor neighborhoods.”

A spokesman for Bergoglio called the claims “old slander.”

Reuters has more details:

According to “The Silence,” a book written by journalist Horacio Verbitsky, Bergoglio withdrew his order’s protection of the two men after they refused to quit visiting the slums, which ultimately paved the way for their capture.Verbitsky’s book is based on statements by Orlando Yorio, one of the kidnapped Jesuits, before he died of natural causes in 2000. Both of the abducted clergymen survived five months of imprisonment.

“History condemns him. It shows him to be opposed to all innovation in the Church and above all, during the dictatorship, it shows he was very cozy with the military,” Fortunato Mallimacci, the former dean of social sciences at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, once said.

"Bergoglio twice invoked his right under Argentine law to refuse to appear in open court, and when he eventually did testify in 2010, his answers were evasive, human rights attorney Myriam Bregman said."

Some more background:

The Sins of the Argentinian Church

The Catholic church was complicit in dreadful crimes in Argentina. Now it has a chance to repent

".... To the judicious and fair-minded outsider it has been clear for years that the upper reaches of the Argentinian church contained many "lost sheep in the wilderness", men who had communed and supported the unspeakably brutal western-supported military dictatorship that seized power in that country in 1976 and battened on it for years. Not only did the generals slaughter thousands unjustly, often dropping them out of aeroplanes over the River Plate and selling off their orphan children to the highest bidder, they also murdered at least two bishops and many priests. Yet even the execution of other men of the cloth did nothing to shake the support of senior clerics, including representatives of the Holy See, for the criminality of their leader General Jorge Rafael Videla and his minions...."

Yeah.. he sounds like a worthy successor to an ex-Nazi Pope, all right..

"Here come de new boss, same as de ol' boss..."

• still thinking
    still thinking

I don't look at the individuals in the church the same way you and Still do, though.

Tell me FHN...how do I look at individuals in the church? I was schooled by catholics. I liked some of the nuns there. I have no issue with them individually. Some were nice...some not so nice.

i agree with tal...there are 'nice' people everywhere. That doesn't equate to the church being nice. And with the history of the catholic church I think there is little chance of their heirachy being 'nice'

Just so you know...that is my opinion. Just want to clarify that. An opinion based on the experience of being raised a catholic.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Seriously, it's called Public Relations ...tal

Yup

• soontobe
    soontobe

So it looks like our new Pope is sticking to his old ways.

Cardinal Dolan: Pope Francis took the bus back from St. Peter’s, too

Cardinal Timothy Dolan told reporters at a press conference today:

“So we take the buses over and cardinals kind of wait outside to greet the new Holy Father as he comes back to Doma Santa Marta…and as the last bus pulls up, guess who gets off the bus? Pope Francis,” Dolan said. “So I guess he told the driver, ‘That’s OK. I’ll just go with the guys on the bus.’”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9928921/Pope-Francis-elected-leader-of-Catholic-Church-live.html

More details have been emerging about the Pope’s first hours in Office. We heard earlier that after his election, he shunned the official Vatican City 1 car for the short trip back to where the Cardinals were staying, joining them on a communal minibus.

We are told that he said: I’m going home on the bus because I came here on the bus.”

He also – very pointedly – declined to sit on a throne to receive his fellow Cardinals last night, standing to greet them one by one. Then there was his surprise trip to church this morning – making his way through rush-hour traffic in a plain car with no cavalcade.

But the priests there could not have been as surprised as the staff at the clerical hostel in Rome where he was staying last week when he called in on his way back to pick up his bags.

After retrieving his belongings, he called at the reception desk and insisted on paying his bill. He said he wanted it to be an example to bishops and archbishops.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit