If there is a God why didn't he sign our DNA

by scotoma 153 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'd like to provide an alternate answer to your original question, scotoma, in the form of my own question:

Why do you assume that God, if he does exist, wants us to know he exists?

• MsD
    MsD

Evolution is still an unsolved mystery as is most of the universe. Evolution reveals some of it's information.

^^^^ Evolution isn't fact (even though some do view it as that) so we can speculate all we want! Even the most intelligent person still can't prove how exactly we came into existence.

people will agree, disagree... Debate on and on but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I don't live each day wondering if there is a creator or not. Why get all worked up on it? Just live the life that you've been given. If your content believing there is a God, great! If your content believing there isn't one, that's great! It's your choice. Forcing your beliefs down anybody's throat just goes to show insecure you are of what your trying to preach. I've learned to accept people for who they are. It's a waste trying to convince them otherwise!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    AG if it helps your understanding replace the name Joseph Smith in my above comments.

It doesn't help, dear Q (good morning and peace to you!). Like Russell and others, Mr. Smith apparently had a message he thought was for and to everyone. I don't. Never have. Nor am I trying to "make disciples", at least not for anyone other than Christ. Which I can't really make... as he is the One who chooses, not me. I'm just a little rock calling out.

Certainly, though, not trying to make disciples for myself. No more than, say, Richard Dawkins is TRYING to make disciples for HIMSELF by sharing what HE believes is the truth. See? Although, unlike Mr. Dawkins, I haven't written any books regarding what I share (nor do I intend to, although I have no doubt it would sell... heck, I'm pretty sure YOU would buy... perhaps under the guise of "Well, I don't believe it but I just want to see what you're on about now"... whatever... but I received free so I give it free)... and would decline any requests for public appearances and/or autographs and such. Fame and notoriety aren't really my thing. Being known of by the few folks here is daunting enough.

Again, I am not even the type - such folks are usually charismatic and "nice". Like, say, Joel Osteen. Or Billy Graham. They need to be in order to draw people to THEM. I'm not really nice, though... although I can be. Well, I can be kind... and loving... and peaceful... and long-suffering... sometimes. But "nice" isn't a word I would use with regard to myself. And if you truly knew me, you would know this - LOLOLOL! And charismatic? ME? Dear one, I am WAY too blunt and forthright for that. Charismatics don't usually hurt people's feelings; indeed, they almost always know how to soothe feelings... even it if means using false words. I'm not so... mmmmmm... slick.

Tell me what to do AG so I can luxuriate in the bliss the lord pours out on to you.

So as not to derail the thread, dear HOB (peace to you, as well!)... I will respond via PM in about 2 secs.

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Why didn't God just sign our DNA? ...After all humans love putting their name on everything right? Graffitti, carving initials into trees, etc...

Maybe God isn't quite so vain and/or insecure that he needs to do that...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

How long was there nothing before there was something?---

What do you mean by "nothing"?

ergo: space and its content appear to move, expand irreversably through time. no?

No. Space does not move through time. Spacetime is a single thing, they move together.

It appears, that was not always so. at the beginning of the cosmos, this movement through time started from zero . VARIED movement through time started. recall the "inflationary period" of the universe. slowing of the movement through time at high speeds, strong gravity. is this view correct? if not, how? why?

No, because WE move through spacetime. The faster we move through the space portion, the slower we move through time and vice versa. Space does NOT move through time.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Evolution isn't fact (even though some do view it as that) so we can speculate all we want! Even the most intelligent person still can't prove how exactly we came into existence.

The study of how we came into existence is the study of abiogenesis. Evolution makes no claims and does not concern itself with how life came into existence. That evolution happened is 100% a fact.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

people will agree, disagree... Debate on and on but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I don't live each day wondering if there is a creator or not. Why get all worked up on it? Just live the life that you've been given. If your content believing there is a God, great! If your content believing there isn't one, that's great! It's your choice. Forcing your beliefs down anybody's throat just goes to show insecure you are of what your trying to preach. I've learned to accept people for who they are. It's a waste trying to convince them otherwise!

MsD

Beliefs aren't truth, they're just beliefs. Nothing more, nothing less.

• cofty
    cofty

I don't believe in evolution any more than I believe that the earth is not flat.

Evolution - all living things descended from a common ancestor - is a fact that does not require anybodies approval.

Abiogenesis is a separate question as is the origin of the universe.

It is wrong to equate evolution with atheism.

• scotoma
    scotoma

APOG: Why do you assume that God, if he does exist, wants us to know he exists?

It is a natural question that emerges from institutional religion.

The Christian God (Islam and Jews also) supposedly wrote books or inspired men to proclaim revealed "truth".

The DNA idea is an example of the minimum a god might want to do and it would have been more convincing than so called pronouncements from human intermediaries.

Of course there is so much more that a loving god might do to make his "children" secure. Frequent open forums with regular visits by actual materialized angels might be one. You could list thousands of things an almighty being could do that would persuade humans to carry out justice.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    The DNA idea is an example of the minimum a god might want to do and it would have been more convincing than so called pronouncements from human intermediaries.

I don't think that DNA would be more convincing than an intermediary, if the intermediary was one of the prophets as described in the Bible. If someone told us they were speaking for God, and could actually predict events or summon fire from the sky, we'd sure as hell listen to them.

A better question is why God spoke through prophets in the olden days, according to the Bible, but not now. That might seem contradictory, but didn't Paul say that those gifts were passing away, even back in his time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit