What is your religious belief now?

by jwfacts 191 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

If a child and his parents are happy believing in nonsense and hurt no-one, what's the obvious harm?

So if harm is not 'obvious' it is ok? Of course, I admit that my opinion is from my persepective. Who's isn't?

Surely you're not saying you'd make them into atheists if you could? To accept intellectually a completely new, and by comparison cold and stark, reality would be unlikely to make them happier. I'm also sure you're not proposing that society dictate what people should be allowed to teach their children to believe.

No...that is not what I'm saying, I don't want to make people anything, that is religions role. I'm not proposing that society dictate what individual people should be allowed to teach children. I am appealing to parents to stop dictating to children what to believe (with no evidence). And only giving them half the story. The belief half. That is all. Allow them to figure it out for themselves...and make their own choices. Not take on your unfounded superstitions blindly.

It is religion that dictates what to believe and how...I am simply opposing THEM dictating to children who are suceptable to believing everything their parents and religious leaders and religious schools teach them. If their parents teach them that the earth is 3,000 years old...then is that ok? I don't think we should walk into their homes and tell them it isn't. But I don't believe schools (in a postition of authority) should be allowed to teach children this is a fact, as though it is the truth when it has been proven to be incorrect and untrue. Or..that religious schools should be telling children it is a FACT that god is real. I was taught that as a child...and I resent the fact that it has taken me 45 years to discover that ALL those adults were lying to me and left me wide open to any and all other ridiculous religious ideas and cults because they implanted the notion that god was real. Because...if you teach/indoctrinate a child to believe it is true and real how do they know it isn't? How do they know to even question it? And once they discover that their religion is a fraud...they keep searching for a god elsewhere...we set them up to fail and to be sucked in, we make them vulnerable to every god selling fraudster.

I hold religion responsible for wasting my life on their bullshit...BECAUSE they ALL taught me lies. This wasn't 'obvious' harm...but I personally consider that it has caused me harm...and endless grief in many many ways.

Society already does dictate what children believe...and religion is the culprit. I am simply saying that it is harmful. Even if, on the surface, it seems innocent.

To accept intellectually a completely new, and by comparison cold and stark, reality would be unlikely to make them happier.

LOL...Ironically...you are one of the people who really helped me to see the cold, starck reality (as you put it)...and I am happier...a LOT happier. I don't see reality as either cold or stark. I see it as beautiful and awe inspiring. Far more amazing that I ever did when I believed in a god.

• tec
    tec

Nickolas So glad to hear from you. Your presence is missed on the board.

To the OP... my faith is in Christ. Not in man; not in religion. Christ alone.

(and I do not indoctrinate my children, just as an fyi... they are free to come to Christ and God if they choose, on their own... or not, as they choose. Faith cannot be forced. Religion can be, but not faith)

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Who let all the arrogant condescending assholes out all of a sudden?

Is that refering to me? If so...I'll add that to being called a bigot by another catholic on the forum...lol (gotta love the personal name calling).

• still thinking
    still thinking

they are free to come to Christ and God if they choose

LOL....the irony in that statement...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I've missed you too, still thinking. Always a stimulating conversationalist. I am delighted you're happier in your reality. Me too, but the recipe doesn't work for everyone. I'm not proposing that religion does no harm, only that a preparedness to accept logic, reason and evidence as the basis for one's life is beyond the ability of many and to impose your own beliefs against their will sounds too much like oppression. The solution is not confrontation but education, but you can lead a horse to water and all that. I think a great deal of what keeps people believing in improbable stuff is rooted in fear. I have no doubt that many people are terribly afraid of even contemplating the realities of atheism. They'd rather die in their sleep believing in resurrection or reincarnation or anything but lights out forever. That's what makes them happy. Let them have it. Unfortunately I've got to bow out. House guests. Impolite for me to spend time secluded in my office chatting with phantoms, even if they are more like me than my guests are. Seems I've already worn out my welcome anyway.

Edit, hey Tammy.

• tec
    tec

Why is there irony, Still? Do you think that informing your children of your faith is indoctrination? Children ask questions... should parents lie to them? Hide their faith from them? Hide their non-belief from them? Teach them contrary to what they think is right?

There are no threats hanging over the heads of my children. No fears that I am instilling in them. Though at times i do have to fight what religion instills in them, but that would be my own fault for having placed them in a catholic school, thinking it was the best choice at the time. The moment my son said he wanted to be in a public school instead... so he would not have to feel out of place declaring himself an atheist... I made the change.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Enjoy your guests Nick...lovely to see you again. glad you popped by.

And I agree...education is the key...thats why I have an issue with being catholic educated. If I hadn't been...who knows what I might have done with my life with my new non believing attitude. I feel far more inspired than I ever have. I wish I had come to this realization a LONG time ago. Belief has held me back.

I wish others well in their belief, believe what you like. But don't inflict it on your children. Encourage them to have their own minds, you never know how it might mess their lives up...or what cult they might end up in because they blindly believe and are searching for your god.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Do you think that informing your children of your faith is indoctrination?

It is when you tell them it is the TRUTH...and then condescendingly allow them to choose. What choice are you really giving them?

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Cuatro on the Dawkin's scale for me.

• tec
    tec

It is when you tell them it is the TRUTH...and then condescendingly allow them to choose. What choice are you really giving them?

Please do not assume that you know what I tell my children... or the manner in which I tell them anything.

Once again... one cannot enforce faith upon another person; not even one's own child. One can only enforce religion upon one's own child. That doesn't mean that everyone in religion does even this, though.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, but I sometimes find it to be just as intolerant as those you speak against.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit