What is your religious belief now?

by jwfacts 191 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I dont have religious beliefs. I dont believe on the human concept of a creator. and I refuse to be labeled based on the things I dont believe.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'd put myself as 6 on the Dawkins scale too...But unlike Nickolas I do have an issue with religious indoctrination of children and the negative effects it can have on their lives, belief in invisible deities primes people to be vulnerable to all sorts of crazy belief systems, how do you tell one invisible deity from another? So, I do have a problem with organized religion, ALL organized religion.

If there was a religion out there raising children to BELIEVE that santa was real, and was going to save them and others that believe in santa and destroy the rest of the humans on earth that didn't believe, and they should pray to him...I'd have an issue with teaching children that too.

I'm not talking about when they are little and having a bit of fun with santa at christmas, I have no problem with teaching of the bible as long as it is kept in the realms of historical myth. I'm talking about indoctrination, from adults teaching children that invisible creatures in the sky are REAL, so much so, that as adults, they still believe it. It is an abuse of trust.

Nice to see you back Nickolas...I've missed you.

• NanaR
    NanaR

Roman Catholic. Yesterday was the five year anniversary of my baptism. I love my life!

Ruth

• soontobe
    soontobe

4 for me, NanaR.

Life is good.

• still thinking
    still thinking

45 years since I was baptized a Roman catholic (without my knowledge or consent)...30 years since I had anything to do with the religion that messed up my brain and taught me that invisible gods are real. After exploring numerous belief systems and religions...and finding the same underlying deceit in all of them...there are no words to describe the freedom and peace of mind that this brings....Life continues to get better every day.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Perhaps you need only to see through your personal prejudice, still thinking. That's not a put down, my dear, please believe that. We are all prejudiced to some extent though we are loathe to admit it to anyone, let alone ourselves. From your response I'm not sure you understood what I posted. It was about happiness and harm. If a child and his parents are happy believing in nonsense and hurt no-one, what's the obvious harm? Are you going to force the Amish into state-sponsored compulsory reprogramming? Make them drive Buicks instead of buggies? What about the Mormons? Jehovah's Witnesses? Jews? Roman Catholics? Scientologists? Of course not, even if every one of those groups is clearly and unequivocally delusional. Happiness for most of mankind is dependent on maintaining a delusional reality. Several of the respondents in this thread are clearly happy in their delusions. If I believed in Him I'd say God bless them all. Surely you're not saying you'd make them into atheists if you could? To accept intellectually a completely new, and by comparison cold and stark, reality would be unlikely to make them happier. I'm also sure you're not proposing that society dictate what people should be allowed to teach their children to believe. Precisely the thing we do not want. Yes, creationism and other fantasies in the Bible are not in touch with reality but who sets the minimum standard of what kind of belief causes demonstrable harm? Some legislator? What you and they and I believe isn't accurate either. It is only what someone believes. If he had the power to tell me how to think next he'd be telling me what to watch on TV, or what books I should read, or what internet sites I should visit. I don't think that's what you want, but once you get to the point of dictating truth you become part of the problem.

Not back, alas. Just was thinking about this place and thought I'd stop in. Cheers.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

agnostic

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Nickolas I have missed you.

Your carefully crafted and insightful comments are a model of understanding and insight.

You help me realize when I am straying from my mooring.

• soontobe
    soontobe

Who let all the arrogant condescending assholes out all of a sudden?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Case in point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit