Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Barrold's posting reminds me of another person who used to post here awhile go . . . hmmmmm

There are those who get the shot and some do not, we're discussing the pros and cons of it, but Barrold sounds like he's coming from the "it's my way or the highway" regarding getting the shot, kinda like the elder who has something against brothers wearing a shirt with some color to it instead of sticking with just a white shirt, wonder why he's so headstrong getting the shot ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Barrold's posting reminds me of another person who used to post here awhile go . . . hmmmmm

Oh? Who?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Actually EP two folks, but I won't print the names here, might turn into an "ugly case of highjacking" !

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

PM me. I am interested. I got the same vibe, but I can't put my finger on it...

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Ok, headed out the door right now, will get to you after 6pm

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Sorry jgnat, I respect you, but I am not fully convinced. I see pros and cons on both sides, so for me, my decision stands.

Coffee

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

jgnat brings up what I think is the greater issue here. It's not about you or me, or what is right for my body, or my choice, or how many times I have the flu, or how strong my immune system is, or the legion of anecdotal tales that have been posted here.

The larger concern should be for the very young and the elderly, because our decision if it does not immediately affect us most assuredly will affect them.

Along with this is understanding how the virus mutates and changes through the course of a typical season.

What is considered to be the most lethal flu pandemic, often mislabeled the Spanish Influenza, actually originated in the midwest US and was spread to Europe by US soldiers traveling to Europe because of WWI. During the life course of this particular virus (a swine flu variety) it mutated into a much more lethal form. If immunization would have been available at the time (and used), there is little doubt that the virus would not have progressed to such a virulent strain. Millions could have lived.

This is the reason why when large percentages of the population are vaccinated, it is an aid to prevent viruses from changing into truly lethal forms. It is why the CDC keeps such close tabs on the current flu viruses. When large percentages of the population opt out, for whatever reason, it guarantees that in the future another truly deadly strain will be produced.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The media in Minnesota have reported the latest influenza statistics through the end of January's 2nd week, and they are shocking. It's up to 60 dead and over 1,800 hospitalized since October in this state alone.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/187343251.html

Where I worki they've posted signs on bathroom mirrors suggesting lathering up for 20 seconds to kill as many germs as possible.

• minimus
    minimus

Are alcohol based hand sanitizers better than soap and water??

• jgnat
    jgnat

That spanish flu devastated the local native tribes here. Here's one story.

Louis was born in 1904 at Grande Cache. His parents died at age sixty when Louis was fourteen years old, during the great flu epidemic of 1918. Peter died at Victor Lake, while Filamon died while visiting McDonald Flats or Susa Creek on the same day as Peter. At that point, Louis was adopted by the famous fur trader, Pierre Grey of Isle Lake, who had lost a daughter to the flu. The Greys adopted Louis because the families were related. We know that Louis lived with the Greys for less than a year, when they perished in the same flu epidemic in 1919.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit