Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• SophieG
    SophieG

I've never had a flu shot, have not had the flu in a gagillion years and I got this strain of the BAD FLU that is going around.

Extremely high fever that took a day and 1/2 to break. Then fever came back a day later. I was close to hallucinations. In bed with no appetite for a week, lost 10 pounds. Terrible chest congestion. Fatigue out of this world. I took me a full month to FEEL normal.

Would I get a flu shot...and risk the chance of doing this all over again... jury is out!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes I was vaccinated back in November.

There is always a risk-benefit balance to think about, but current science tells us that the shot is 60% effective, i.e., you're 60% less likely to get what's going around if you were vaccinated in time.

So there is a risk to NOT getting vaccinated. Some folks who get vaccinated still get the flu, maybe because they caught the virus before the vaccine was fully effective for them because it takes 1-2 weeks to gain full immunity after the vaccination.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I've never gotten a flu shot. Been debating it, but from what I've read, you can still get the flu if you get it, even the strands you're supposed to be getting protection against if you're exposed to it within 2 weeks of the shot. There are also many flu-like viruses it does not protect against. The data is dubious on its effectiveness, from what I've seen, so I've been inclined not to trust it.

I tend to wash my hands pretty regularly and thoroughly and avoid touching door knobs and elevator buttons and escalators if I can. Especially good to wash your face and hands right after you get home, too. And to not touch your face--but that itch on my nose just won't go away!

The other thing is to dress warmly--getting too cold could make you more vulnerable to getting sick. I never get proper rest, and the best I can do is hope I don't get it, really. If I do, then maybe my wife will dump my body over the balcony, douse me in olive oil, and set me aflame, then perhaps my ashes will be picked up by a hot east wind. Either way, it'll work out.

--sd-7

• jgnat
    jgnat

sd-7, the viruses that have been showing up, by an overwhelming margin, are the ones we get vaccinated against.

"Since October 1, 2012, CDC has antigenically characterized 521 influenza viruses, including 17 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses, 327 influenza A (H3N2) viruses and 177 influenza B viruses.

• All 17 of the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses were characterized as A/California/7/2009-like. This is the influenza A (H1N1) component of the Northern Hemisphere vaccine for the 2012-2013 season.
    • Of the 327 influenza A (H3N2) viruses, 325 (99%) were characterized as A/Victoria/361/2011-like. This is the influenza A (H3N2) component of the Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine for the 2012-2013 season.
    • Approximately 67% of the 177 influenza B viruses belonged to the B/Yamagata lineage of viruses, and were characterized as B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like, the influenza B component for the 2012-2013 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine. The remaining 33% of the tested influenza B viruses belonged to the B/Victoria lineage of viruses."

The odds of dying every time we step in a car are much higher than being harmed by a flu shot. There's a reason that the WHO and CDC promote vaccinations. They prevent serious illness and death.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm

• St George of England
    St George of England

Had my annual flu shot in November and I have not had flu for many years. I am very careful with personal hygeine, hand washing etc but I also eat loads of garlic. It keeps potential flu carriers at a distance.

George

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I'm also of the agreement that the flu shot will just about kill you.

There's something called grapefruit seed extract, which is very good for a myriad of ailments and just about everything, look it up, it's quite interesting. Also, just chop up about two cloves of garlic, let it sit for about ten minutes and eat it with a meal.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Scientific research doesn't bear out the phobia that many people will get killed off by the flu shot. Quite to the contrary. In the state of Minnesota we have had 27 flu deaths this season. Statistically, fewer would have died if more had received the vaccine. The WHO and CDC is not out to get us.

Grapefruit seed extract is quack medicine. I did look it up. The studies demonstrated that any antimicrobial effect it had were due to the additives and not the extract itself. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3068720/

• minimus
    minimus

ohoh....

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

All have to say re grapefruit seed extract, week before Thanksgiving my problem tooth started to abcess and get swollen again, Knew I wouldn't be able to get an appt with dentist on short notice, so did some research, the swelling came down and pain went away within a week, same as it does when the Dentist prescribed penicillin,

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

One of the benefits of having Agoraphobia is that I rarely get sick from catching other people's germs.

When I used to be "Normal", I would constantly have colds, bronchitis, and other health problems. I even had pneumonia twice which took more than 8 weeks each time to feel better. Now that I rarely leave the house, it's been a few years since I've even caught a cold. If by chance my Partner or I have to go somewhere, we carry along a container of hand sanitizer in our van, and we always wash up as soon as we get home.

I feel bad for anyone who gets this nasty strain of flu that is going around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit