Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

In February 2010, The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that 12 countries had recorded a possible link between the development of narcolepsy, a chronic nervous system disorder that makes people uncontrollably fall asleep, and the H1N1 vaccine. Finland, was one of those countries who openly admitted that the swine flu vaccine “conclusively” causes narcolepsy. The Finnish government acknowledged that link and said that would pay for “lifetime medical care” for 79 children who have been irreparably damaged by the swine flu vaccine. Narcolepsy wasn’t the only side effect admitted to be caused by swine flu vaccines: 76 of the 79 children also suffered hallucinations and “paralyzing physical collapses”.

Narcolepsy and encephalitis were side effects of the 1918 Bird Flu (H1N1) epidemic. Narcolepsy secondary to H1N1 can occur due to catching the flu or having a flu shot. If that is a person's bodily predisposition, it will happen either way. But that is due to the unique nature of people and not the vaccine itself.

That's why Findland reversed the ban. ; )

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Dr. Danuta Skowronski of the B.C.Centre for Disease Control did a study and found that people who received the flu shot in 2008-09 were more likely to get H1N1. There are many links to articles about the study. Here's a couple.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/51/9/1017.full

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/flu-shot-issue-may-not-be-canadian-problem-after-all-study/article4530649/

Perhaps my brain is not functioning right now because it's been a long work day. But how does a flu shot prevent me from passing on flu germs from someone else? Even if I've had the shot, if I'm carrying germs because I've been around someone sick (i.e. health worker, traveller) I will pass the disease on. Practicing good hygeine and handwashing prevent passing on the flu, even if I didn't get the shot.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

sammieswife, i did look at the 'references' at the end of that article and they are pretty much from the same terrible sites as the original one. You should care who printed the data. That site is just full of lies and misleading information that we've already covered here.

I also am totally shocked that you actually name dropped Dr. Oz. That's the last name you should ever mention aside from Dr. Phil.

I just love when jgnat comes in with info from WHO and the CDC and other peer-reviewed articles, everyone else just quotes from horrible unscientific sites, Dr. Oz, or 'their own FEELINGS' It's pretty hilarious to see all these nutjobs come crawling out of the woodwork.

mamochan: Did you actually read the conclusion of that study, to say the least? That's actually NOT the conclusion they found. Also, I would suggest reading a bit of info on 'herd immunity.' As jgnat has said, it's a pretty huge deal. It's the reason why stuff like polio was all but eradicated until nutjobs in America and other countries decided that not vaccinating their kids was a good idea. That's a whole other can of worms though.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaxsupply.htm

How much influenza vaccine is projected to be available for the 2012-13 influenza season?

At the current time, six influenza vaccine manufacturers are projecting that as many as 145 million doses of influenza vaccine will be available from currently licensed manufacturers in the U.S. for use during the 2012-13 influenza season.

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

U.S. 315,185,800 taken from the above website…the current US population

It is interesting to note that everyone in the US is being pushed to get the shot, but only 145 million doses are projected to be available in the US. The population of the US is more than double that. So at best, less than half of the population will be vaccinated for the 2012-2013 flu season.

For me, let’s just say that since I don’t fall into any of the target populations on the World Health Organization immunization recommendations list….(link below). I have adopted the European “wait and see” approach as jgnat calls it.

http://www.who.int/immunization/sage/meetings/2012/april/1_Background_Paper_Mar26_v13_cleaned.pdf

I will continue to rely on my own strong immune system which has kept me safe from every strain of flu I have ever been exposed to for 60 years (except one, when I was 8 years old) I think that’s a much better efficacy rate than any shot ever produced.

If the purpose of a flu vaccine is to get one’s own immune system to produce antibodies against the flu virus… and my immune system has clearly demonstrated that it has already done that … (I have been exposed several times in this flu season, and I have not come down with the flu…not even the sniffles or a stomach ache or even a headache) …then how is the outcome any different? How does that put anyone around me more at risk? How am I more of a carrier than someone who has had the shot? It’s about the immune system fighting the virus…right…the shot doesn’t produce some invisible shield around you, does it?

Coffee who hasn't considered herself part of the "herd" since leaving the borg.

• d
    d

Me I got make to be clean and wash my hands often.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A healthy person with no symptoms may be an unwitting carrier of the flu virus.

When sensing a threat the Alpaca herd will bunch together with the young in the centre. I swear they would STARE down the threat.

Alpaca Herd

The musk ox also creates an inpenetrable barrier, horns outward, young behind.

I'm not talking about a mindless herd animal here. I'm talking about the protection of the herd.

80% protection would stop a virus in it's tracks. The best coverage in any state was 51%. Despite public policy and promotion, it appears that not nearly that many people will get the shot. 50% coverage appears realistic, people being who they are.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If the purpose of a flu vaccine is to get one’s own immune system to produce antibodies against the flu virus… and my immune system has clearly demonstrated that it has already done that … (I have been exposed several times in this flu season, and I have not come down with the flu…not even the sniffles or a stomach ache or even a headache

How do you know you were exposed during the contagious period?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

EP, several co workers have had it , whom I have been in close contact with...sharing phones etc, and one family member who lives in the same house who was diagnosed with the current strain of the flu. The family member had it a month ago. No one else in the household got it...and no one else was immunized. The household member is a teacher...of very young children.

jgnat It's a moot point anyway.. since there is only enough vaccine to immunize 46% of the population in the US. 50% coverage is unrealistic....and of those who receive the vaccine can only count on it being 62% effective...well those odds don't seem too impressive.

Maybe the percentage is different in Canada.

Coffee

• jgnat
    jgnat

We'll see how this all shakes out in a few months.

• d
    d

By next month this outbreak will finally be over with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit