Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Soap and water is just as good, Minimus. Sing a little ditty when you wash and you will be fine.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I recommend humming the intro to "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17HRV8k1YMw

• jgnat
    jgnat

coffee_black, I'll do the numbers game and work to convince as many people as possible. You won't mind if I ask you to not to visit my neck of the woods during the flu season, will you?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Not at all jgnat. Not planning any travel any time soon.

Coffee

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Mr Arrogance Barrold Bonds,

You have accused many posters here of needing to "take some basic science and biology courses."

Yet evidently, you need to take some basic courses in reading and comprehension. Nobody else reported any difficulty understanding what I meant (thanks Caliber!), and if you were even half as clever as you believe yourself to be, you would not have had any such difficulty, either!

Next time, engage your brain before putting your mouth into gear.

Bill.

• blondie
    blondie

All someone unvaccinated has to do is infect someone who does travel to your area.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You sure know how to cheer up a girl, Blondie! LOL.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I got the shot, I have health issues and can't afford to get sick. Even though it does not offer 100% protection, I would rather go with the odds, some protection is better than none. I have had the shots before with no negative repercussions. I did still get the flu, it was not caused by the shot, which I got several months before. I was pretty sick, but not nearly as sick as other times when I got the flu, I am glad I got it.

Back in the late seventies, I got the Hong King flu, I lost 10pounds and I was skinny to begin with. I really thought I would die. It just happened that my husband had Stephen Kings book, The Stand, I started reading it, as I was too sick to do anything else. The book is about an experimental flu virus that getts out and kills 94% of the world's population in a week. I felt like I was living the book, it was surreal.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

EP - Just sent you my theory on who I think BB is.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I found this very interesting. Apparently, the rest of the world doesn't share the enthusiasm for the flu vaccine that the US and Canada have.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/health/flu-vaccine-policy/?hpt=he_c1#cnn-disqus-area

From the above link... sorry couldn't make it clickable...not sure why

(CNN) -- The flu hasn't hit Europe as hard as it has the United States, health officials say, but when and if it does, don't expect a call for vaccination of the entire population.

Only the U.S. and Canada actually encourage everyone older than 6 months to get the flu vaccine.

Apparently, not a single country in Europe asks the general population to seek that same kind of protection, according to Robb Butler, the World Health Organization technical officer in vaccine preventable diseases and immunizations in the organization'sEurope office in the Netherlands.

That's because global health experts say the data aren't there yet to support this kind of blanket vaccination policy, nor is there enough money. In fact, some scientists say the enthusiasm for mass vaccination in the United States may hurt efforts to create a better vaccine.

From the World Health Orgqanization link below:

http://www.who.int/immunization/sage/meetings/2012/april/1_Background_Paper_Mar26_v13_cleaned.pdf

in a contrast to U.S. policy, the World Health Organizationrecommends only six "priority populations" get "the flu jab," as it's called in Britain.

These six groups are nursing home residents, people with chronic medical conditions like asthma, the elderly, pregnant women, health care workers, and children from ages 6 months to 2 years, Butler said. They are more vulnerable to the severe effects of the flu or come into contact more often with this highly contagious virus.

So I'm wondering why it is such an issue here in the US and Canada and not in the rest of the world.

Coffee pondering over a cup of black coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit