Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

There is no perfect remedy to the threat of influenza. The scientific community studies the viral strains that are likely to attack the population during the upcoming season, and production is ramped up on vaccine based on scientific recommendations far enough ahead of time so that they can try their humanly best to get ahead of the virus.

Do any of the doubters really believe that all this effort is just done by the scientific community, the producers of the vaccine, the CDC and the WHO for selfish gain or to try to harm us? Really?

Actual evidence shows that the vaccine has been 60% effective. That means if everyone would just go ahead and gain the immunity, we'd see a lot fewer deaths and hospital visits. In Minnesota alone this season (through 12/31/2012) we've suffered 27 deaths (including people in the prime of their life) and 1,100 hospital visits. Vaccine would have not reduced those numbers to zero. But I'd feel a lot better going out in public if more people were taking the vaccine seriously and thus reducing the probability of spreading this year's virus. There are 47 American states where this is a serious issue.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Barrold

I've read your posts, barrold. I was just restating the facts, highlighting that there is nothing perfect about the medical and phamaceutical industries..

So judgemental.... You have only 38 posts. You don't know the members of this thread...let alone this forum. There are some wonderful people here. Agreeing with you doesn't make anyone intelligent...nor does disagreeing with you make them stupid.

Coffee

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

No, I didn't have a flu shot. I spent a week bouncing between cities and airport, went home on a Friday, flew out again Sunday, woke up Monday with a horrible flu, every single symptom in spades, went to a doc in a box and they tested me.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi EP, sorry you went through that.

A couple of my co workers had it...lasted over 3 weeks. I've been exposed several times over the course of the last month...but so far so good.

Have you had the flu before? I've only had it once in my life, when I was 8 years old. It was awful!

Coffee

• jgnat
    jgnat

Let's talk about effectiveness for a moment.

What we call the flu is literally hundreds of different strains. We also call stomach flu the flu, which is not in this discussion at all. This year's flu shot is good against 88% of the strains floating around out there this year. Now, is the flu shot 100% effective against the 88% covered, or 88% effective?

The ideal target to immunize to see a real reduction is 80% coverage of the population. That is, so many people are immune the flu bug can't even spread decently. We're not reaching anywhere near that efficacy. South Dakota, the star of the US, has achieved 51% coverage this year. Canada lags in it's reporting. In 2011, BC covered 52% of its population, and Ontario a dismal 32%. Even so, Ontario's free immunization campaign resulted in a 52% reduction of lost wages and hospitalization costs, by the increased immunizations.

Flu vaccinations is one of those things that benefits most when most of us agree. For those who have robust immune systems, they may not get sick, but they could still carry the disease to the vulnerable.

Passively allowing others to "agree to disagree" while they happily ingest their vitamin C, their clove oil, their grapefruit, their zinc, is not doing anyone any favours.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I had it maybe 8 or 9 years ago? I think this was the third time I have had it, once before when I was 13 or 14, you know, over 20 years ago.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

What jgnat said.

• minimus
    minimus

Barrold Bonds is kewl.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

jgnat said: For those who have robust immune systems, they may not get sick, but they could still carry the disease to the vulnerable.

As I said, getting a flu shot is the right decision for some. If someone is vulnerable, they should probably get a flu shot to try to protect themselves. Each person has the right to make that decision for themselves. For example, my daughter, who has a heart condition, and who lives 1500 miles away from me, had a flu shot.

jgnat said: Passively allowing others to "agree to disagree"

Am I misunderstanding you here? "allowing others" ?? I'm an adult, and make my own decisions regarding my health. I've done a good job thus far. Do you think that freedom should be taken away? Please explain.

Coffee

• jgnat
    jgnat

coffee_black, I think your choice hurts us all.

For the vulnerable with compromised immune systems, the flu shot is not as effective. Their antibodies may not flare up in defence. Their antibodies may not be enough. What most helps the vulnerable is the healthy people around them who get the flu shot, preventing exposure in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit