A picture so outrageous, it deserves its own thread...

by cedars 184 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Borges
    Borges

cantleave - "Mark Sanderson is only 47 - so not that old"

Since he just offers his hairstyle on the pic - he looks old by all means.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Did the bible contain pictures? Did jesus spend his days painting pictures? Why do they waste so much effort in producing and distributing stuff that isn't the original bible? They have gone so far as to invent their own style of artwork - what kind of waste of time, money, energy is that? The poor gimps in the art department having to do this - some may even have artistic talent. They are about 500 years behind the churches who turned to art to bring some glamour and reverence to themselves and scripture.

they are a religious Marvel comic wannabe - "cult" is the word that best fits

• BroMac
    BroMac

you know your gettin old when the GB are gettin younger

• sir82
    sir82
    invent their own style of artwork

Oh I don't know about "invent". I've seen plenty of similar work coming out of middle-school art classes.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I remember when my family was new in the cult the emphasis was on "brotherhood." Everyone was to be treated the same, whether GB or publisher. The GB, branch committees, BOEs, etc. were servants to the worldwide brotherhood.

This picture clearly illustrates a hierarchy, even positioning the players in order of importance from top to bottom.

• alanv
    alanv

Question : Explain to the board in detail why you think Cedars is paranoid

as to the things he point out in the pics

1 The picture is about the earthly part of the organisation. Nothing to do with the heavenly part. Do many of you really think that Jesus is about to be booted out, because he is not in the picture?

2 The comfy chairs. As I have already stated chair quality changes wherever you live in the world. I already said in Denmark they had a 3 piece suite in the library, while we in UK had hard uncomfortable chairs. It did not mean they were any better than us did it? If the gov body had been shown sitting on old hard chairs, the immediate response would be, 'no way do they sit on old chairs'

3 Sitting on part of Africa. The yearly report spells out exactly what is happening in the world. They don't need subtle pictures to add to that report.

4 Cedars I know you are not looking for supporters, I was trying to tell you that you usually write well written blogs. They are very interesting and informative. It’s just that this time I do not share your view.

5 The hierarchical nature of the religion. As I have already stated, this picture is nothing new. It has been the same for decades. Publishers bow down to elders, elders bow down to circuit overseers. (By the way there is no district overseer there, do you think he has been done away with. And yet the circuit overseer has to bow to him.) To continue, circuit overseers bow down to branch elders and the branch bows down to governing body. That is how it was and that is how it is. Nothing has changed. No need for subtle pictures to add to that report.

6 jwfacts mentions the fact that there are no women leaders. This is true, and a good point to make, but again it is nothing new. JW women all know their position in the org. They agree to it at their baptism. That is the structure the org has. If women don’t like it, they are free to not join up. Of course that is a terrible way to be going on in the 21 st century, but that is how this organisation works. All witnesses know that, they know about the steps from the governing body to the publisher.

If all of this was shown to someone studying, then yes it is very useful imfo. But the converted already know and accept this. The society are purely pushing the point home, just like they do in every article they have ever written.

• perfect1
    perfect1

In my growing up- I dont remember anyone knowing WHO the governing Body were- unless someone went to Bethel and brushed elbows with one of the ELITE m---f----ers.

As a born in- I NEVER KNEW the NAMES or FACES of the men controlling every aspects of my families lives.

I dont think my family knew then or know now their names either! Even my Dad who was an elder!!!

Anyone else grow up with the GB as mystery men- I guess now they dont feel the need to be anonymous anymore.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

am I missing something - show this picture to any kid and ask what they see and it's God, heaven, angels and a bunch of men in suits. So yeah I'd say jesus was missing from the pic.

And to a previous posters point - no large army of sisters... women are certainly under represented. This pic would and could never be used by any corporation given how lacking it is in diversity.

mmxiv

• alanv
    alanv

Good point perfect1. I know I had no idea who they were when I was in. I guess in an information age, they feel they can't completey keep these guys anonymous. But it is probably still true that most dubs have no idea who they are or what qualifications they may have for the job.

• pixel
    pixel

When I look at that picture, I can't not think about the passage in Acts 6:1-4:

6 In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. 2 So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. 3 Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them 4 and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”

By the "Ministry of the Word", I assume preaching. And these were the Apostles, saying this: "We don't wan to spend time organizing things, somebody else do it and we pray and preach"

See the WT/GB/FDS, they are sooooo happy to seat and let the r&f publishers do the ministry of the Word, in the mean time, they spend their time in meetings, and organizing things.

Why on earth they are not shown taking the lead preaching??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit