Sandy Hook Massacre - Solutions

by tootired2care 92 Replies latest social current

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

While we’re at it….

Should we advocate banning ultra-high proof alcohol?

Should we have users of alcohol pay higher medical insurance rates?

If economics is the magic wand then why not go ahead and whirl it over alcohol and get rid of a product that results in more preventable deaths than all violent crime in the whole world put together?

After all, what can be more dangerous than filling your house with a product known to cause more preventable deaths than guns?

I’m not saying the above as sarcasm or to cause a stir. It’s said to have us think about some of the premises at work in this discussion. If it’s good for the goose then it’s good for the gander. On the other hand, if it’s not good for the gander than it’s not good for the goose, either.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• moshe
    moshe
    As a black man.....I'm screwed to start. I move to a small middle class neighborhood and deal with racism and prejudice.

I guess I don't know what makes a small middle class neighbordhood an automatic racist neighborhood. However, if your goal is to live in the safest neighborhood, then the race of the inhabitants in that neighborhood shouldn't matter at all.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have lived with an alcoholic, and I wouldn't have alcohol in the house or drink in front of him. I don't have a problem with my alcohol, but he would go 'to town.' I think kids with a mental illness like autism have no right to play violent video games. I have a relative who is alot like this kid, and found an article to be impressive. I will post on a sep. thread.

Skeeter

• Simon
    Simon
    Should we have users of alcohol pay higher medical insurance rates?

You mean how insurance costs go up if you have a DUI?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Autism is not a mental illness. It is a neurodevelopmental disorder.

• Simon
    Simon

The wikipedia article is interesting.

This definitely puts a nail in the argument that the problem is illegal guns:

And all the stolen guns were once legal.

You need to cutoff the supply.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Skeeter,

I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all to have potential gun owners pass an objective mental health screen, but I don’t think it should be tied strictly to gun ownership. Otherwise it would become the subject of anti-gun bias. I’d get behind a screen that served a multi-purpose of determining mental fitness across a spectrum of activities, such as gun ownership and a license to operate a motorized vehicle.

And this thing about violent video games is simply ridiculous! The same people who advocate ultra-tight gun control have no problem whatsoever spewing out the rankest of violent gaming as entertainment. What the hell is wrong with these folks? We’ve had high performance firearms for centuries. Nations have been training millions upon millions of citizenry how to kill efficiently with these weapons, and with improvised weaponry. But we’ve had mass school house shootings over the past few decades. Doesn’t that say something to these idiots?

Many among the reputed greatest generation of Americans were efficient killers trained by America. But they didn’t take their guns and perform massacres in grammar schools.

Marvin Shilmer

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Depending on where they are on the spectrum, autistic children can't relate to other people and/or communicate with them. It's nuerological, but so is ADHD. It manifests itself, not in a skin rash, but in their interactions with others.

Also, he could have defiant disorders, along with his autism. That is what I read.

Marvin, Ditto what you wrote.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“You mean how insurance costs go up if you have a DUI?”

DUI is a criminal offense, and it’s treated that way under law and includes an insurance company’s right to charge more for liability insurance issued to such a convict.

People who commit crime today with guns are treated no differently. You commit a crime and all sorts of insurance rates start climbing.

My comment is not about criminal actions. It’s no crime to buy and use alcohol responsibly. It’s no crime to buy and use a gun responsibly. My comment is about insurance rates related to a non-criminal activity that happens to be a culprit in preventable deaths.

That’s why my comment spoke to medical insurance.

If it’s good for the goose then it’s good for the gander. Right?

Marvin Shilmer

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Depending on where they are on the spectrum, autistic children can't relate to other people and/or communicate with them."

not true for all children on the spectrum. It depends on how severe their condition is. And even if they can not verbally communicate there are other ways for a nonverbal ASD child to communicate. There's a young boy named Henry who has autism but cannot speak. He's very bright and uses an iPad to communicate. He just won the right to attend his local school who would not take him because of his communication issues.

Also children on the spectrum can be very social, affectionate and actively interested in other people but what holds them back are communication issues and not being able to pick up social queues.

Here's Henry's story:

Henry Frost had a pretty simple goal: he wanted to go to school like any other kid. Unfortunately, his Tampa, Florida school district put some obstacles in his way, claiming that the autistic student should attend a specialized education program rather than mainstreaming at Wilson Middle School. Frost and his service dog, Denzel, didn’t take the district’s suggestion lying down.

He took to social media.

Frost has several health conditions, including his autism, which interfere with his ability to communicate, and he relies on an iPad to interact with the people around him. His familiarity with technology turned out to be a boon when his school district told him he didn’t belong in a conventional classroom, because he was able to harness the power of social media to reach out for help. With the publication of a picture that went around the world, he publicized his plight and also raised awareness about discrimination against disabled students in general, many of whom are forced into segregated programs against their wishes.

Henry’s battle for civil rights was also informed by the growing autistic self-advocacy movement, which puts autistic people square in the center of discussions about advocacy. After watching “Wretches and Jabberers,” a film about autism and self-advocacy, Henry’s way of interacting with the world changed radically, and his parents credit the film with his self-realization that he had a voice, could use it and had a right to participate in discussions about his education and life.

He took to the streets during the Republican National Convention to draw awareness to disability rights, a particularly critical issue right now due to threats to funding for disability services across the U.S., and he connected through social media with fans all over the world who became interested in his cause, including fellow self-advocates likeAri Ne’eman. Frost is one of the faces of a new generation of autistic people who refuse to remain silent and sit by the sidelines while decisions are made about them and people talk over them. He prefers to be square in the middle of the conversation.

In an interview with reporter Ariane Zurcher at the Huffington Post, he noted one of the major complaints disabled people, particularly those with cognitive and intellectual disabilities, have about interactions with the nondisabled community:

Please don’t talk about me in front of me. I can hear you. I can read your lips. I can read your body language. It feels terrible. Sad. But it feels great when you treat me like I am smart.

Frost’s statement mirrors the call to action of the disability rights movement: “nothing about us without us.”

His lobbying effort worked: in a 14 hour meeting with the school district to iron out details, he won the right to attend the school of his choice with an aide to assist him in the classroom. An important battle for Henry (and Denzel), but also a signal to autistic students across the country who may be longing for a chance to participate in a mainstream classroom instead of being isolated in a special services program.

Henry asked for his chance, and he got it.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/autistic-student-wins-the-right-to-go-to-school.html#ixzz2FRQ8GmJA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit