Sandy Hook Massacre - Solutions

by tootired2care 92 Replies latest social current

• besty
    besty
    My old white butt will likely be dead in 50 years.

And Brits will still be advising 'Mehricuns how it went wrong :-)

But the point stands. I am convinced USA borders will move before 50 years pass.

• besty
    besty
    If our remedies are constructed on a premise that is valid when equally applied to other antecedents fitting the profile at issue then we have to either apply our remedy equally or else tailor our underlying premise.

That might work in a logical vacuum - legislation for change works differently.

Cut a deal here, cajole an old friend there, call a favour here, threaten a consequence there...

Too many variables to construct the perfect premise.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I think this is a false analogy, alcohol is a pleasure vice and generally kills slowly, fast if used without moderation.”

Gun: can be the active tool that kills dozens in a few moments of time.

Alcohol: can be the active tool that kills dozens in a few moments of time.

Where’s the false analogy in that?

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• besty
    besty

I think going down the alcohol route on this thread is off topic.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

PSacramento - "You know, I have trained in martial arts for over 30 years.

Served as a sniper in the military.

I was a well trained killer as they say goes.

Do you know why I never went around killing anyone? know why I still don't gop around killing anyone?

BECAUSE IT IS WRONG.

You know, sometimes I wonder how we lost that..."

I know how we lost it.

People keep denying it's the violence in the video games and movies. The gore that is in movies is beyond comprehension, I will not watch them. It's desensitizing our young kids AND adults. The jump from screen to reality is so short for a kid, I think they have difficulty separating reality from fantasy. Even the Hollywood recognizes this, they're holding off on the release of newest violent movies.

It's speaks for itself...

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“That might work in a logical vacuum - legislation for change works differently.”

No it doesn’t. Successful legislation is built on ideas that society will accept.

“Cut a deal here, cajole an old friend there, call a favour here, threaten a consequence there...”

If you start out with a weaker idea then the ability to cut deals, cajole friends, call in favors or issue threats is accordingly weaker.

“Too many variables to construct the perfect premise.”

And who’s suggesting construction of a perfect premise? You? Who?

I’m suggesting a better tailor premise; not a perfect premise or a perfectly tailored premise.

Marvin Shilmer

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@Simon - This definitely puts a nail in the argument that the problem is illegal guns:

It would be interesting to see this data for all incarcerated inmates too, not just the ones in federal pens. Federal pens are a small chunk of the total thugs out there (the worst of the worst) as I understand it.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I think going down the alcohol route on this thread is off topic.”

How is it off topic when it’s introduced to help participants toward a better solution?

I don’t take this discussion as just another anti-gun rant session. I take this discussion to be about finding a workable solution.

If this thread is about solution building then think to build better ones.

Marvin Shilmer

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I don’t take this discussion as just another anti-gun rant session.

I don't either, but the subject is about how to prevent/mitigate these types of massacres in the future (violations of others freedom) and protect our children, not about preventing people from killing themselves slowly (e.g. drinking, smoking etc.).

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Just in - "Fear of being committed may have caused Connecticut gunman to snap"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/#ixzz2FRmetilV

If this is true, fear of being labeled crazy does have tragic results as this case illustrates. Hopefully soon genenic therepy will be an option on the table to help people with these mental disorders like asbergers to integrate better into society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit