"Right to bear arms" should mean ...

by Simon 616 Replies latest members politics

• Mary
    Mary
    If I take up arms against my government due to it being totalitarian, I guarantee you at least 75% of our armed forces will be standing side by side with me.

Bullshit. Who do you think runs your armed forces? The government.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

In 1974 The fascit regime in Portugal was overthrown without any violence.

The military was on the side of the people and lead the revolution and, while it took 1 year to hold free elections, that was more to due with friction between the political parties than the military trying to hold to power.

In short, the military were create to protect the people and it is the people that pay their salaries, it is to the people that the military hold their allegience and a good and honest military is something that the people should never fear since they are always on the side of the people.

If one fears their own military then there are some deep issues that MUST be fixed ASAP.

• cofty
    cofty

Michael Moore on Frightened Americans ...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Damn Cofty !

Never seen that before.

• cofty
    cofty

As The Bard said..

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Yohan

I don’t think anyone understands how important your point is when you say:

Anyone proficient with a pump action shotgun and a pocket full of shells could have committed the same amount of murders in that school in Newtown. Pump action shotguns are legal and unrestricted in Canada.

I’ve been saying this for years, and the people who are scared of “assault weapons” wouldn’t know just how lethal a 12gauge shotgun is. In close quarters I would prefer the shotgun over an M4 for taking out multiple assailants, all day, every day. The guy in this case probably chose this gun because it’s the one used in most of the video games he was playing, not because it was the most lethal.

One shot with the shot gun, can easily propel 9 .357cal projectiles down range. Making it MUCH more lethal.

The definition of “assault weapon” has more to do with appearance than function, and shows the problem with legislation. Most people don’t really understand the issues.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Hey DDog,

Does my Red Ryder bb gun count as a assault rifle. lol....long time brother eh?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ellder

I've been trying to contact you for a while, I need your Phone #

I'm gonna PM you.

<<<<Look at these faces, read their stories, then tell us you need a semi-automatic or large-capacity weapon.>>>>

If I could have saved even one of those people, I'd give up every gun I have. But that wouldn't have saved any of them. Neither would stricter gun controls, since this creep stole the weapons he used from his mother, who had them legally in a state that has one of the strictest gun control schemes in this country.

There are a lot of guns on the streets here. Some folks on this forum have posted that there are 250 million guns in the USA. That's probably an understatement, given my experience. Banning the sale of high capacity magazine guns will do nothing to reduce or eliminate the existence of these weapons on the street or in the homes of many responsible gun owners.

People are understandably upset and desiring action to prevent future tragedies like the Newton massacre. The politicians will be quick to come up with popular, but ineffective, answers.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

the people who are scared of “assault weapons” wouldn’t know just how lethal a 12 gauge shotgun is.

Deputy Dog ...

There is no question a very short-barrel shotgun loaded with buckshot (00) is in many ways more lethal than an "assault" rifle if you are looking at the destruction on a shot by shot basis.

The major difference however is that the shotgun is typically limited to 5 shots based on the physical size of the shotgun shell. There is no quick way that I am aware of to reload a shotgun other than stopping and loading the shells one by one into the gun. Assault-type rifles and some handguns typically have magazines / clips that you pre-load and can hold up to 15 or so bullets (some even more) and typically just snap in and out of the gun. Empty the gun, snap the old magazine out, stick in another, and start shooting again.

IMO, it would be difficult to shoot more than 15 shots in a miinute with a shotgun. With a rifle/handgun, you could easily do 50 to 100 (or more).

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit