"Right to bear arms" should mean ...

by Simon 616 Replies latest members politics

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Why would it make sense to take a sentence from 200+ years ago and apply it to the technology available today?

Exactly. First amendment should likewise only apply to literal speed or things printed on paper with presses available the time, too. Right?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Of course they were Canadian American-lite.

You spelled that wrong, fixed.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    In the same way that if you have a license to drive it means you have the right to drive a regular car, not an F1 car, a tank or a fighter-jet.

What do you mean by "regular car"?

My street Ferrari of 1986 could easily defeat the F1 cars of 1936.

The "ordinary" cars of 2006 could as well.

I think the "right to bear arms" only makes sense if the arms are equivalent to what someone else of your own era bears.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

LOL Outlaw short sleeved shirts!

• james_woods
    james_woods

We will debate the guns for weeks ahead.

For now - I think we should follow the thinking of Minimus.

Hug our kids.

James

• zeb
    zeb

.............and have an enormous empathy for the professionals, the Newtown Police who have the task of going into the area and picking up the bits.

As the bits of human tissue left are evidence and someone has to gather them bag them label them for any inquiry. and the cleaners. . . .

I hope the Police dept there has a good debriefing thing on Post traumatic distress for the staff.

from experience

• Mary
    Mary
    Guns are regulated in this country, maybe not to your liking, but they certainly are regulated.

Apparently, not very well, given all the frigging shootings that seem to happen on a regular basis.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Drugs are banned/regulated too. Look at how well that has worked in keeping them out of peoples' hands.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Hug the kids. The police did well, and handled the press conference well.

We can debate the gun issue in a week or so.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

With guns, there is really nothing to debate.

If someone wants to prohibit the sale of guns, then it will drive the gun trade into the black market with all the problems that brings.

There is no way that guns will be removed from people who already have them in any significant numbers. Sure, any time someone gets arrested and searched, guns can get confiscated from them, and other guns rust or get lost over time, but the number of outstanding guns is so large that such attrition will not make them go away in our lifetime.

Whether you like it or not, guns are here to stay in America. Remember, Americans voted in the current gun president.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit