FINALLY! Can you prove God exists? If you can I won't ask again!

by punkofnice 544 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stealth
    Stealth

Just looking in to see if anyone proved God exists yet. Looks like no.

Maybe God did exist at one time billions of years ago, but blew himself up during the big bang.

Maybe god is dead.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

I would say that faith and evidence. are not mutually exclusive.

if you look at the definitions they are

ev·i·dence

[ ev -i-d uh ns ] Show IPA noun, verb, ev·i·denced, ev·i·denc·ing. noun 1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof. 2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look wasvisibleevidence of his fever. 3. Law. data presented to acourt or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may includethe testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects

Definition of FAITH

1 a: allegiance to duty or a person :loyalty b (1):fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions 2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1):firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Phizzy,

There is a difference. Christianity is grounded in an attested historical event for which there is ample eyewitness evidence. Islam is grounded in one man's unattested claim.

• cofty
    cofty
    Christianity is grounded in an attested historical event for which there is ample eyewitness evidence

I disagree. The evidence for the resurrection is weak and contradictory.

There is far more eyewitness evidence for alien abduction.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Tater

ev·i·dence

1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief... Evidence is not proof. If it were then we would have no need for courts to decide if the evidence proves guilt beyond reasonable doubt. I believe the evidence supports the resurrection beyond reasonable doubt. And if the resurrection is true, a number of truths follow. The most obvious implication of the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is that: the basis of the Christian faith is objective rather than subjective. A literal, historical, documented event now substantiates, establishes, declares and guarantees:

a. that Jesus was indeed the promised Messiah. Acts 2:36

b. that Jesus was indeed righteous/ the Son of God Ro. 1:4

c. the Father's approbation and acceptance of Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

d. that the scandal of the cross is really God's saving deed a cosmic victory... the scandal of the cross is interpreted by the resurrection and transformed into gospel.

e. that there is a force greater than that which crucified the Lord Jesus.

f. that Jesus is indeed alive and able to forgive and enter personal relationships

g. that Jesus is exalted, having all power in heaven & earth

h. the truth of all that Jesus said.

i. that Jesus is not only Lord, but mankind's Judge. Acts 10:42 17:3

j. that death is not the end

• cofty
    cofty

The gospel accounts of the resurrection are hopelessly contradictory.

The oldest gospel Mark doesn't even bother to tell us about the resurrection.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Punkofnice,

Have you considered God's servant Job?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Cofty,

<<The oldest gospel Mark doesn't even bother to tell us about the resurrection.>>

Mark 16

New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Has Risen

16 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”

4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. 5 As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.

6 “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’”

8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid

• cofty
    cofty

So the women told nobody about the empty tomb. What sort of story is that?

They are told to tell the disciples to go to Galilee while in other gospels they are told not to leave Jerusalem.

Read the 3 synoptics on the resurrection. They are a disaster.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Van

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit