non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

likewise many medical practices of centures ago are viewed as foolish, disgusting and barbaric ....

I can't allow this to stand. Yes, what we did a century ago is barbaric by today's terms. In fact, most cultures were barbaric by today's terms. That's human. But literal bible believers are not attributing this barbarism to humans and culture, they are attributing it to the perfect law of a perfect god. It's not, of course, it is simply a reflection of the culture, as judged by today's standards. Not really a problem, because some of these cultures have passed (definitely not all---try to be a young girl going to school in Afganistan). We are not talking about cultures. We are talking about a god. This barbaric god does not get the 'human culture defense' benefit.

You MUST suppress your own morals, humanity, and empathy to make this god okay. I thought it was about building those things up. But if you can read the OT without flinching, and then have the audacity to defend this law, then there is something being suppressed.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    likewise many medical practices of centures ago are viewed as foolish, disgusting and barbaric ....
    hindsight is 20/20.

Road to "hell" paved with good intentions, although some of the horrific things done don't even have THAT as an excuse it seems.

The old Mosaic Law versus the new Law of Grace
    Precedents takes time to establish such as...
    Is sin hurtful because it is forbidden; but or it is forbidden because it is hurtful ?
    What is meant by the Old law being a tutor leading to the Christ ?

If the world and mankind is in need of redemption, in need of Christ, then so was the Old Law and the OT.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Let me ask the question, what if you're wrong? I suppose if I were to meet some sort of god I would ask him if it were so important to worship him, why did he make his presence seem non-existent?

According to the Old-Testament (if you really believe in it), the Hebrew god made his presense known. It tells of stories of him performing great acts. Why did he stop? You would think a god who desires worship would want to make his presence known. Why did he only focus on a small group of people in the Middle East instead of people all over the earth?

I'm just assuming you are a Christian and believe in the Judeo-Christian god. Of course, we can't be sure if he is the real god. Could be any one of the hundreds of thousands of gods throughout history that are the real god.

• cofty
    cofty

The barbarism of the OT is only a problem for biblical literalists. For them it is an insurmountable problem.

You cannot have an inerrant bible and a loving god - you must choose.

• Etude
    Etude

" We believe that the diversity and interrelation of all life on earth are best explained by the God-ordained process of evolution with common descent. Thus, evolution is not in opposition to God, but a means by which God providentially achieves his purposes. "

OK. If God ordanined the process of evolution, then that's not the God of the Bible or of the Qur'an or of any other ancient holy book. The reason is: they (those holy books) point to a different God that created the heavens and the Earth and an original man. The method of creation is quite specific in those books and it ain't evolution.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

But PS, wasn't the Old Law and OT given from god himself? Why would something god devised be in need of redemption?

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts
    Caliber: likewise many medical practices of centures ago are viewed as foolish, disgusting and barbaric ....

But we've thrown away (or stuck in museums) these old medical books. No one is suggesting that we should use them as guidebooks today. No one believes they were divinely inspired or that they are in harmony with the latest medical books.

If you're suggesting we treat the OT the same way, then we are in agreement!

Garbage Can

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The barbarism of the OT is only a problem for biblical literalists. For them it is an insurmountable problem.

Not for some litarlists, they have no problem in seeing those acts attributed to God or viewed as being ordered/condoned By God as acts of divine Justice.

You cannot have an inerrant bible and a loving god - you must choose.

Some people reconcile them very easily.

I must confess that I am NOT one of them.

• cofty
    cofty

PS - Yes I have debated those sort of christians. Their views are contemptible.

• dinah
    dinah

The whole thing I took from reading the Bible.............

try not to be a dick. If you cannot not help being a dick, do better. You can try to do better 77 times, after that you are just a dick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit