non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

pscar- thats it worshiping god not to get something he already gave us something life god loved us first . i dont believe there much that can get an atheist to believe if they dont want to and the same can be said the other way if a person want to believe in anything they will even if its wrong look at the people who stay with the org even when proved wrong. i just believe that there is no evidence to disprove god and there is a lot to prove him. but we all can feel how we want. the truth will be known in time.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Grrr, I don't believe because I don't want to. I've tried over and over but it doesn't stick. My brain won't let it stick, it gets all logical and analytical on me. So I'm at the point where I don't worry about it. Yeah since we all will die we all will know in time. Yep.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    i dont believe there much that can get an atheist to believe if they dont want to and the same can be said the other way if a person want to believe in anything they will even if its wrong ...

Many believers make this kind of faulty statement. (I refer to the content, not the run-on sentence.)

First of all, as Mrs. Jones points out- it isn't that atheists "don't want to believe." I so wanted to believe, even after leaving the Borg.

Second of all, many believers (along with myself) are waking up to the fact that there is no evidence to automatically support belief, so I have much more hope for people than you do.

• caliber
    caliber

"The OT has some very difficult passages in it, some horrific ones, yes, as one would expect from that type of collection of books.

The various books are reflections of the world the authors ( and editors) lived in.

They lived in a broken and fallen world in need of redemption, how can we expect the books written by them to be any different?"

In addition to this ...Is it not best to try and see the long term bigger picture as outlined by the New Testament ? I offer the following as food for thought.

When God is criticized for displaying His wrath in the OT, most of that criticism is centered on the time of Joshua and the Israelites entering the Promised Land. As a nation, Israel had entered into a covenant with God, which bound all of the nation to abide by God's standards of holiness (see Deut 29:10-15). Even in modern warfare do not huge numbers of innocent people suffer death or harm ?

At the heart of this question is the consistency of God's character.

Is God's character is limited to either mercy or judgment but He cannot display both ?

Why not allow the time and space for the complete manifestation of God's grace ?

The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Ex 34:6-7)
    The LORD said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes." (Hos 3:1)

I believe God's nature and character includes both mercy and love together with anger and judgment

A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace . ~~~ Eccl 3:8

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that all we can be is honest with ourselves.

Some believe because they can while others don't because they can't.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

logic - there is a car it has many differnet parts all it thr right place for it to run correctly (the tire is not on the engine) it is place exactly were it need to be to drive. logic says there was a cause that made this happen no logical person would conclude that is was by happenstance. same goes with the earth the human body everything is perfect for life logic there had to be a cause like the cause of the car it had to be by design and design take intellagance

• sizemik
    sizemik
    But how do you determine what is bad or good in the absence of empathy? . . . atrapado

If empathy is absent, you're either a psychopath, or a non-social animal lacking in self-awareness and conceptual thought.

A child left drowning in a bath is bad . . . standing by and watching is psychopathic . . . unless you're a cat, because it's not bad from the cat's point of view . . . it simply lacks empathy.

i really just want to get an idea if athiest worry about the afterlife

I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit.

-- Mark Twain

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Stenger-Is-the-Universe-Fine-Tuned-for-Us.pdf

I believe that is just a sample and a complete book is available on why the universe is not fine-tuned for us.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

A whole website on why it IS fine tuned for us ( and more):

Biologos.org

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts
    Caliber: Even in modern warfare do not huge numbers of innocent people suffer death or harm ?

Yes, of course. That's one reason why war is immoral. But don't you expect better from your god of love? I didn't vote for the president of our country for this very reason: he is killing huge numbers of innocent people in his wars. I wouldn't vote for Jehovah as God for the same reason.

Caliber:Why not allow the time and space for the complete manifestation of God's grace ?
    The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Ex 34:6-7)

For some reason I can't help but picture you standing in the battlefield saying this to a pregnant Cannanite who has just witnessed her entire family murdered, and with Joshua's sword poised in the air about to slice open her belly at your compassionate and gracious god's command.

I don't think she had the "time and space" for that complete manifestation you speak of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit