How do you keep your hopes up while in this doomed existence?

by sabastious 107 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

On the subject of politics, yes, democracy is messy and often comically ineffective. But just several hundred years ago, we were all ruled by kings and most people had no say at all. First-world countries today are incredibly pampered by comparison.

Also, in many ancient cultures it was considered appropriate to cut off pieces of your slain enemy as trophies, and often to take no prisoners. Genocide was common (the Bible's got some examples of that!). By the 1700s, it was unofficially considered immoral to kill an enemy that wanted to surrender. By the 1900s, it was international law that prisoners of war should be treated well, and after WWII Nazi leaders were executed for breaking those laws.

Speaking of execution, just a few hundred years ago many of our ancestors' countries killed people in excruciating ways that made the crucifix look attractive (see William Wallace or Balthasar Gerard if you have a strong stomach). In the 1700s, the French executed the nobility with the guillotine, a device intended to kill as humanely as possible, and it was still considered barbaric by some people. Now the death penalty has been phased out completely in many nation-states.

Do you not see improvement in these socio-political areas? It's easy to point to continued problems in some global hotspots, but surely the world isn't getting worse, like Witnesses believe?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well said, Apognophos.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    By the 1900s, it was international law that prisoners of war should be treated well, and after WWII Nazi leaders were executed for breaking those laws.

Actually, the Nazis treated our prisoners relatively well (compared to the horrors of the Japanese) and we in turn did so for theirs.

The Nazis, of course, were much less humane to their own Jewish citizens.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Do we, really? I can't do anything about the long-term problems we face: the Sun burning off all liquid water from Earth in a billion years; the Sun cooling and engulfing the Earth in maybe 5 billion years; the universe undergoing heat-death in possibly a googol years. Nor can I do anything about the probable extinction of half the world's species by 2100. Perhaps I could become a scientist and try to contribute one iota to one piece of the puzzle. Even then, I won't be alive to see whether we're able to do anything about these problems in the far future. It's equally likely that I could go into entertainment and make a science-fiction show that inspires a scientist to work on a certain problem and have just as positive an effect as if I went into science. Or I could become a business executive; some executives work for Big Pharma, which means they are supporting the development of new medicines while also making big money!

So you are saying that we CAN make a difference, does it matter if we are giving our best? If it does then that would require determining what one's best is, right? How do you do that? How do you know you are giving as much back as you can? What if you are working with saving a species from going extinct, does that mean you are then not responsible for people going hungry? To me the reason why we even ask these questions shows that it's in our nature to find purpose.

In other words, it's impossible to say what effect I can have on the world and whether anything I try to do will succeed or anything I try to fail at will be successful instead. Therefore, why worry? My only concerns are contributing more to society than I take, and enjoying each day as it comes.

Would this principle be in effect under all circumstances? Lets say a wrecking ball is coming straight for you and it appears that you do not have time to get out of the way, do you simply realize that there is no way out or do you still make a desperate attempt at a creative solution? Is it in our DNA to give up? I think there is solace to be found in the fact that our species is so innovative. Even when things look hopeless we seem to pull through, as a species anyway. Sure, the sun isn't going to burn out anytime soon, but it could burst a solar flare at us that would burn us all to a crisp. What if that happens? Is that the end or is there more? Should we tell sports teams that next week they could be completely forgotten in time? If this planet goes away does anyone know about it? Does anybody care? I'd like to think that there is.

On the subject of politics, yes, democracy is messy and often comically ineffective. But just several hundred years ago, we were all ruled by kings and most people had no say at all. First-world countries today are incredibly pampered by comparison.

It's interesting how much power the Presidential Administration has. You could call them a collective King with a check and balance of the other branches of goverment. In any event this is a good depiction of a kingdom that was built to work:

Ashoka king of india, reigned 274–232 BCE

"Ashoka is said to have been of a wicked nature and bad temper. He submitted his ministers to a test of loyalty and had 500 of them killed. He also kept a harem of around 500 women. When a few of these women insulted him, he had the whole lot of them burnt to death. He also built hell on earth, an elaborate and horrific torture chamber. This torture chamber earned him the name of Chanda Ashoka (Sanskrit), meaning Ashoka the Fierce.

While the early part of Ashoka's reign was apparently quite bloodthirsty, he became a follower of the Buddha 's teaching after his conquest of Kalinga on the east coast of India in the present-day states of Orissa and North Coastal Andhra Pradesh. Kalinga was a state that prided itself on its sovereignty and democracy. With its monarchical parliamentary democracy it was quite an exception in ancient Bharata where there existed the concept of Rajdharma. Rajdharma means the duty of the rulers, which was intrinsically entwined with the concept of bravery and Kshatriya dharma. The Kalinga War happened eight years after his coronation. From his 13th inscription, we come to know that the battle was a massive one and caused the deaths of more than 100,000 soldiers and many civilians who rose up in defense; over 150,000 were deported. When he was walking through the grounds of Kalinga after his conquest, rejoicing in his victory, he was moved by the number of bodies strewn there and the wails of the kith and kin of the dead.

As the legend goes, one day after the war was over, Ashoka ventured out to roam the city and all he could see were burnt houses and scattered corpses. This sight made him sick and he cried the famous monologue:

What have I done? If this is a victory, what's a defeat then? Is this a victory or a defeat? Is this justice or injustice? Is it gallantry or a rout? Is it valor to kill innocent children and women? Do I do it to widen the empire and for prosperity or to destroy the other's kingdom and splendor? One has lost her husband, someone else a father, someone a child, someone an unborn infant.... What's this debris of the corpses? Are these marks of victory or defeat? Are these vultures, crows, eagles the messengers of death or evil?

The brutality of the conquest led him to adopt Buddhism, and he used his position to propagate the relatively new religion to new heights, as far as ancient Rome and Egypt. He made Buddhism his state religion around 260 BC, and propagated it and preached it within his domain and worldwide from about 250 BC.

Ashoka's military power was so strong that he was able to crush those empires that went to war against him. Still, he was on friendly terms with kingdoms in the South like Cholas , Pandya , Keralputra, the post Alexandrian empire, Tamraparni, and Suvarnabhumi who were strong enough to remain outside his empire and continued to profess Hinduism. According to his edicts we know that he provided humanitarian help including doctors, hospitals , inns , wells, medical herbs and engineers to his neighboring countries. In neighboring countries, Ashoka helped humans as well as animals. Ashoka also planted trees in his empire and his neighboring countries. Ashoka was perhaps the first emperor in human history to ban slavery, hunting, fishing and deforestation. Ashoka also banned the death sentence and asked the same for the neighboring countries. Ashoka commanded his people to serve the orders of their elders parents and religious monks (shramana and Brahmin). Ashoka also recommended his people study and respect all religions. According to Ashoka, to harm another's religion is a harm to one's own religion. Ashoka asserted his people to live with Dharmmacharana. Ashoka asked people to live with harmony, peace, love and tolerance. Ashoka called his people as his children, and they could call him when they need him. He also asked people to save money and not to spend for immoral causes. Ashoka also believed in dharmacharana (dhammacharana) and dharmavijaya (dhammavijaya). According to many European and Asian historians the age of Ashoka was the age of light and delightment. He was the first emperor in human history who has taught the lesson of unity, peace, equality and love. Ashoka's aim was not to expand the territories but the welfare of all of his subjects (sarvajansukhay). In his vast empire there was no evidence of recognizable mutiny or civil war. Ashoka also helped Buddhism as well as religions like Jainism, Hinduism, Hellenic polytheism and Ajivikas . Ashoka was against any discrimination among humans. He helped students, the poor, orphans and the elderly with social, political and economic help. According to Ashoka, hatred gives birth to hatred and a feeling of love gives birth to love and mercy. According to him the happiness of people is the happiness of the ruler. His opinion was that the sword is not as powerful as love. Ashoka was also kind to prisoners, and respected animal life and tree life. Ashoka allowed females to be educated. He also permitted females to enter religious institutions. He allowed female Buddhist monastics such as Bhikkhuni.

So, Ashoka showed himself to be a brutal dictator who discovered a more peaceful way of ruling. The problem with monarchy's is that they were tied to a blood line. In the modern world we elect our kings and we call them public servants which elimiates the previous problem of a blood line being in total control (Jeb Bush 2016! just kidding).

Also, in many ancient cultures it was considered appropriate to cut off pieces of your slain enemy as trophies, and often to take no prisoners. Genocide was common (the Bible's got some examples of that!). By the 1700s, it was unofficially considered immoral to kill an enemy that wanted to surrender. By the 1900s, it was international law that prisoners of war should be treated well, and after WWII Nazi leaders were executed for breaking those laws.

And yet during all that bloodshed the Torah laid quiet in the background stating, "You shall not kill", but yet allowing justice to be served with, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for tooth." I think it's encouraging that our world worries about things they can't control. Almost like sending out your prayers, or good vibes, showing that you care. With the internet we are now all connected and it's a only a matter of time before we become a United Planet of countries. Morality should reign supreme, the meek will inherit the earth.

-Sab

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Actually, the Nazis treated our prisoners relatively well (compared to the horrors of the Japanese) and we in turn did so for theirs.

True, I should have been more specific -- I was referring to the Commando Order.

If it does then that would require determining what one's best is, right? How do you do that?

How do you know you are giving as much back as you can? What if you are working with saving a species from going extinct,

does that mean you are then not responsible for people going hungry?

My point was that we can't really know how much effect we're going to have or what is the best course to take, so we should just try something. There's no sense in worrying over our own lack of omniscience. If humans' lack of omniscience ends up dooming the human race and the universe, then oh well, the cards were stacked against us to begin with. Some people believe the universe continues to "reboot" itself; perhaps this is already doomed to be a failed experiment and the universe will just have to try again with slightly different parameters. Cut! Take #153,546,367,675! Action!

Anyway, if we're at least trying something, odds are that we're helping. The people who are not helping are the ones committing crime and using more social services than they are funding through their income taxes. That's it. Frankly, it's a low bar -- just don't be a self-destructive unemployed idiot, and you're contributing something. That's why most of us can relax, knowing that we're doing a reasonable amount of good.

Besides, you know that the most important achievements are made by a handful of people anyway. It takes a certain stable level of society, supported by plebes like us, to allow the occasional Einstein or Newton the leisure to spend time on things that interest them and publish the results of their world-changing experiments. So there's no shame in just doing our best to make ends meet, giving a little to charity as we can, and enjoying life when we can.

• jgnat
    jgnat

...which brings us back to Ecclesiastes 2:24,

A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God,

• AGuest
    AGuest

"Landlord say da rent is late... he might have to litigate; don't worry... be happy..."

Sorry. I'm just feeling REALLY GOOD this fine morning! Please... ignore. Carry on...

And PEACE to you ALL!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who has learned the value of Christ's words: "Do not be anxious... over ANYTHING."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

When one reflects upon where mankind has come from in regards to social livability standards in comparison to a couple hundred years ago ,

humanity is set upon improving the human experience in all possible ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit