How do you keep your hopes up while in this doomed existence?

by sabastious 107 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I regret my posting of that thread, now, for a few reasons, including this: I did not intend to cause you or anyone any sadness, but only to perhaps wake some up to what IS occurring, if not genetically, then perhaps by some other means (educationally?)... at least as far as for those who DON'T want to live in hope... or intellectual progression... but just in wait for some impending "armageddon."

Thanks for the post, Shelby. It wasn't your article posting that contributed to my sadness, it's how this world treats each other that gets me down. If the simple words of Jesus were just applied things would be completely different. When you really take a look at the world scene right now it's depressing as all hell. I wish the world could just wake up.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If you're going to have an afterlife, why worry about solar flares or any earthly problem? It's all temporary, a brief period.

A solar flare that destroys all whole would be best, but there are so many other horrible things that can happen that are much, much worse, like nucular fallout or a pandemic. The black plague comes to mind. God allows these things so there is no reason to think that the path to the afterlife doesn't consist of pain, heartache and general anguish. A "brief period" yes, in the grand scheme, not while you experience it. But the afterlife is proof that God has an ultimate morality, he wouldn't just put us on this rock to die and that be it. However, I strive to understand the non believing mindset and that doesn't include an afterlife. That's the easy answer the question.

-Sab

• d
    d

You have to appreciate that you live in a stable environment.Other people in the world do not have that choice.They are too busy trying to get by on less then two dollars a day.Not only that, many people live in countries that are currently experiencing a civil war or some kind of economic instability.

For many in the west, we should really consider ourselves lucky to have such great opportunies and freedoms to achieve all that we can and not worry about where our next meal comes from,our worry about our livelyhood.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The black plague comes to mind. God allows these things so there is no reason to think that the path to the afterlife doesn't consist of pain, heartache and general anguish...sab

So a god provides no more relief for this fear than no god. The only difference being, it is believed you will be rewarded at the end of it all.

I find it easier to just leave off the last bit. And since I don't believe in the rest of it either I have nothing to fear from what your god will or won't allow.

• cofty
    cofty

But the afterlife is proof that God has an ultimate morality

An assertion that an afterlife exists isn't proof of anything.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    You have to appreciate that you live in a stable environment.Other people in the world do not have that choice.They are too busy trying to get by on less then two dollars a day.Not only that, many people live in countries that are currently experiencing a civil war or some kind of economic instability.

These people are simply more distracted with basic needs which means their goverment is failing them. The people of the west have problems that the people in underdeveloped countries don't have to worry about. I know a lot of bad stuff happens in third world countries, but I see a lot of smiling people in them. They are beautiful people. The human spirit has an enduring property that is simply remarkable. I personally don't care for the "there are worse scenarios" argument. When I think about those circumstances it just makes me feel worse. Sure I appreciate what I have, but that's a life tenent that everyone is supposed to have. What do the people at the bottom do? Feel good they aren't antelopes?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    An assertion that an afterlife exists isn't proof of anything.

It is within a philisophical framework. "God wouldn't let us die forever" is a solid argument.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

"God wouldn't let us die forever" is a solid argument.

This is why I don't discuss philosophy. Its just mental masturbation.

Goodnight

• Ethos
    Ethos

So sebastious it seems you have reached a distinct period of life where it all begins to seem so devoid of purpose and abiding satisfaction. I have been exactly where you are, in my own life, actually. Science seems to answer so many questions, yet this deluge of knowledge mesmerizes our intellect and nothing more. Science is well-esteemed for answering the "how" but almost never answers (satisfactorily) "why". Have you lost all belief in the Bible and/or religion as a whole Seb?

My best recommendation to you would be to study human anatomy & physiology and definitely biology. Everything is designed to repair, to reproduce itself , to function, to harmoniously intertwine so profoundly and endlessly....that if we never aged we would live forever. Our body's were designed (whether by evolution or creation) so beautifully that this is what should be the case. But for some unexplained reason, these perfect, precise homeostatic and biological functions that renew and sustain us day-to-day, stop working. Think about it, seb.

• Satanus
    Satanus

A principle of this universe is birth/creation, maintanence, and destruction. That applies to all of us, our edifices, bugs, stars, planets and the universe itself and gods, if they really do/did exist. In between the birth and desctruction, there is a lot of beauty and all kinds of opportunities.

Another universal principle is recycling. Everything living came from dirt and will return, whether human, plant or bug. Water recycles, carbon, even the some of the continents recycle, being subducted, eventually. Stars also. Being that this principle is universal, it could be used to support the reincarnation idea. Evolution is another universal principle.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit