How do you keep your hopes up while in this doomed existence?

by sabastious 107 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Coming from AGuest's thread where she showed us the article that describes a "brain drain" that has been occuring for centuries do to "mutations" I can't help but be a little fed up with how much negativity comes from the land of science. Sure, facts are facts and they do not set out to sound good or bad, but instead of identifying the problems of doom, like our brains are devolving, why not focus on the solutions to those problems? Where are the hopes and dreams that our culture so desperately holds onto which actually provides the drive to progress towards them. It's a defeating feeling for me to think of the earth being enveloped in a world destroying solar flare or a space rock coming and ending life as we know it. It seems to rob me of motivation and drive.

I have a 2 and a half year old whom I'm sure will be full of questions about his enviroment in his future. What happens if he gets discouraged about the idea that the universe and or earth is heading towards destruction? Michio Kaku says that the universe will eventually freeze over and life will cease to exist. Just because we cannot fathom a way out of the scenario NOW doesn't mean that we won't have a solution when it comes upon us. Why all the doom and gloom and how would you teach a child to remain positive while quite possibly living within a doomed existence. The universe freezing over is just one possible doomsday scanario, what about nucular or bio warfare? Did I have my child so that he would one day die of radiation sickness or from some terrorist grown pandemic? How do non believers keep their hopes up?

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

Where are the hopes and dreams that our culture so desperately holds onto which actually provides the drive to progress towards them

That is exactly what science is about. Science has brought you the health and relative prosperity that we all enjoy in the developed world. Its achievements are accelerating - your children will see things you can't imagine.

It is science that will feed the world and cure the sick. Science will find cheap, pollution-free sources of energy. Science is how we get things done.

The world is getting better and better.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Life has whatever meaning you assign to it.

Shit happens and then you die.

Why worry about things you cannot change? Billions have lived and died.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I don't see science as a negative. It's more life affirming to me.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Where are the hopes and dreams that our culture so desperately holds onto which actually provides the drive to progress towards them...sab

Do you want a better future for your children? Do you want to contribute something positive to society?

I am inspired to teach my children that they need not fear death. That this life is precious and we should value ours and others. That education is inspirational and achievable. And that helping others makes our existence worthwhile.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    That is exactly what science is about. Science has brought you the health and relative prosperity that we all enjoy in the developed world. Its achievements are accelerating - your children will see things you can't imagine.

Well this is an encouraging thought, but like I said there is looming destruction just because we exist in the known universe. Without a global catastrophe I agree that properity is in the future. Do we all solute the night sky as our gallaxy collides with another?

It is science that will feed the world and cure the sick. Science will find cheap, pollution-free sources of energy. Science is how we get things done. The world is getting better and better.

Would you include political science in this "we get things done" statement? Because no matter how good the technology is without the political structure to apply it there is no use developing it other than providing security for a chosen elect.

Why worry about things you cannot change? Billions have lived and died.

Because if you think long enough you just might create a solution flipping the scanario from unchangeable to changeable. "Don't worry be happy" doesn't defend against solar flares.

I don't see science as a negative. It's more life affirming to me.

I don't see science as a negative either, but the proponents of it are often speaking about doom and gloom scenarios. This serves to discourage people I would assume, because it often discourages me. I want to hear the solutions not huge problems involving the fate of the human race that lack solutions.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I am inspired to teach my children that they need not fear death. That this life is precious and we should value ours and others. That education is inspirational and achievable. And that helping others makes our existence worthwhile.

That's a nice idea, but you don't fear dying of radiation fallout from a nucular bomb? What about your CHILD experiencing it? Can you literally package all the horrible manners of which humans can die and tell a child to not fear it?

-Sab

• still thinking
    still thinking

The universe freezing over is just one possible doomsday scanario, what about nucular or bio warfare? Did I have my child so that he would one day die of radiation sickness or from some terrorist grown pandemic? How do non believers keep their hopes up?

You have two options. Either choose to not focus on those possibilities because they may never happen. Or become an activist and try to change the world. Either way, you still have a choice.

My hope is that religion will be reduced to a few people who get together to share spiritual ideas and not the power crazy vengeful armageddon loving freaks they can be. My biggest fear is that religion will destroy the world in the name of their god. The god concept brings me no comfort.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Visit a local cemetery to learn the fate of man.
  • sabastious
    sabastious

Let me give you all a scanario. One day we all wake up and the governments of the world announce that the species of humanity is moving to a new planet and that only 1% of the population is able to leave. The rest will die horribly. Now imagine that you and your family are NOT part of that 1%, would you simply agree with the ruling or would you feel you deserved to be part of that 1% who survive and colonize a new planet?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit