How do you keep your hopes up while in this doomed existence?

by sabastious 107 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Visit a local cemetery to learn the fate of man.

Afterlife, friend, afterlife.

-Sab

• still thinking
    still thinking

Sab...are you trying to create the negativity that you are accusing science of doing?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab...are you trying to create the negativity that you are accusing science of doing?

This topic is on the subject of negative future circumstances, it's the point to create negative circumstance for the purposes of discussion. Having to leave earth is a plausible scientific scenario.

-Sab

• flipper
    flipper

SABASTIOUS- I don't really look at my life or those who are in my life, friends, wife, son, loved ones as living in a " doomed existence ". Sure solar flairs may come some day and wipe out the grid, but they may NOT as well. I keep my hopes positive each day by just taking life one day at a time and waking up each morning with the thought of what GOOD thing can I bring into some other person's life today ? Whether that person is our children or our wife or our dear friends here ON JWN or elsewhere when you think about it ALL we really have is the here and now. This moment right here. The past is done, it's gone, the future isn't here yet- so why not just take control of our day to day life and not sweat about whether a hundred years rom now something will explode in the galaxy ?

I mean, think about it- we can only control what actually happens in our own environment or life, anything else is USUALLY out of our control. But we CAN be effective for making positive changes with ones that are close to us in helping them feel love and by our example showing them the way. It makes for positive relationships not only with immediate family but others as well. The globe, the entire world will take care of itself however it occurs. We can help in a positive way in our own little area , but many things are out of our control.

Living in the here and now is the ultimate plan for me- my wife and I are happy and it's cool. We don't sweat it. We can make our personal future a good one by taking it one day at a time in promoting peace, love, and good vibes ! I spent 44 years worrying about an alleged " Armageddon " or " end of the world. " I don't worry anymore because it's fantasy, it's a lie. December 21st will come and go with no Mayan destruction or anything and we will all enter 2013 the same way we entered 2012, living life day to day , loving our families, and earning a living. And I look at the positive things we receive on top of that as icing on the cake. Just kind of my 2 cents on life and how I roll as a non-religious person who DOES stay positive usually every day of my life. You asked, so I answered. Everything will be fine Sab, don't sweat things

• d
    d

I agree science shows and explains things in a more concise manner.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ahhh, dear Sab (peace to you, dear one!), since I may have contributed to your... doldrums?... please let me say that I don't see the future as "doom and gloom" at all, whether from a scientific POV or a spiritual one. I truly believe it WILL be all right "in the end." In the meantime, we can't live our lives in anticipation of "gloom" (although I realize that for some parts of the world, there is little choice)... but if folks in the most devastated parts of the world can wake up each day with renewed hope... how can we NOT?

I regret my posting of that thread, now, for a few reasons, including this: I did not intend to cause you or anyone any sadness, but only to perhaps wake some up to what IS occurring, if not genetically, then perhaps by some other means (educationally?)... at least as far as for those who DON'T want to live in hope... or intellectual progression... but just in wait for some impending "armageddon."

Also, I think perhaps we both have to remember that "bad news sells." Usually faster than good news. And that was probably behind the article's purpose... to titilate. Sad, both, but more true than not.

So, "straighten up the hands that hang down... and the enfeebled knees... so that what is lame may not be put out of joint... but healed."

Life is hard enough, dear one, without us looking at it as a "half-empty" rather than "half full" glass. And if you're having difficulty changing that view, may I suggest you spend a few days in an environment where folks' situation is even worse than yours (and yes, such exists). Because it ALWAYS helps when one can say, "Yeah, things for me are bad... but not THAT bad."

One's perspective plays a HUGE role in one's happiness, dear one!

Again, peace to you... and may JAH bless!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Visit a local cemetery to learn the fate of man.

Afterlife, friend, afterlife. ...sab

One of the things I have said about belief is that it is based on fear. But many believers dismiss that idea.

This thread shows clearly that that is true for some. Fear of death, fear of anhiliaton, fear of armageddon.

Putting a god there as saviour may alleviate or soothe the fear for some because many prefer illusion to reality. But I would argue that the reality is that faith and belief compound the fear, because religious dogma teaches that it is fact the world will be destroyed along with all the other atrocities that will befall mankind.

Faith and religion are a false comfort. When they are removed. The fear goes back to a more rational level.

• cofty
  • sabastious
    sabastious

Thanks flipper that is a very positive way to look at life and I will definitely strive to do the same. However, at this point in the game I think the common man has so much information at their feet that scanarios are naturally imagined in our minds. To demonize thought processes would be no different than the Watchtower thought police. Does this mean that ignorance is bliss? I think that what humanity has taught us is that ignorance is NOT bliss, it's only temporary bliss and anyone who seeks out ignorance is actually being immoral because they are purposefully avoiding information that could be used to help self and others.

Think about this for a few minutes: what if our moral actions directly determine our fate as a species? Aliens are out there Mulder says so. With that in mind those aliens are going to be more advanced than us if they are aware of us. So what would those species be doing in preperation for our space travel and ultimate intergration with their homeland? What if our planet is full of criminals that are still progressing scientifically. Would it be in the best interests of neighboring planets to keep a check on our progress? We are working on the quantum level now which means working with black holes could be coming which could affect neighboring gallaxies. We could be in THEIR backyard all of the sudden with the right technology with a weapon that could do some damage. This would mean that our basic morality that we show to each other would be a measurement stick for an advanced extraterrestrial life. If we don't show the proper respect for each other we won't for them when we grow to their point in the technological timeline.

I say this because most people argue that it's not healthy to think about things you cannot control. But the problem is that we really don't know HOW MUCH control we really have. What if earthquakes were created by immoral actions? What if plate techtonics are just a system of punishment to keep clean our population if we get to out of hand? What if one day our planet is gone because we were too much of a-holes and our neighbors realized that we weren't worth welcoming into the galactic family? How much effect do we actually have on the universe and it's storyline? This question has vast implications especially since there is a good chance their is advanced life out there, watching us.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you're going to have an afterlife, why worry about solar flares or any earthly problem? It's all temporary, a brief period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit