Its sad how Americans think they are the center of the world regarding Sandy...

by mP 94 Replies latest jw friends

• milola
    milola

Personally mP I am sick to death of America EVER going to the aid of other countries in need. We have millions HERE without food, sheter, medical care, education. I wish we would seal up our borders heavily and start taking care of our own. Screw international trade, we are capable of 100% self reliance and that is what I would like to see.

• atrapado
    atrapado

mP you didn't answer the question about how the temperature up north is a pretty big issue that the Caribbean doesn't have to worry about. The fact that you mention africans dieing everyday vs 9/11 is pretty simplistic and the comparison is uncalled for.

First when you have an event happening all the time it looses its impact is no longer newsworthy. Good or bad thats a fact. So if people die in a place that doesn't happen is newsworthy.

Second did you stop and think that most of the deaths in africa or third world countries are self induce? From corrupt goverments to irresponsible human beings having a lot of kids without the means to support them etc. etc.

Pathetic how people from other contries cry when the US gets involved but then cry when the US doesn't get involved.

And is normal that the media and the people here talk mainly about the US. I been to NY I can relate and talk about it, however I never been to the Caribbean and can't really related so should I talk about something I don't know about. Go complain to international media if they are only talking about the US. Complaining to this forum or about the US media at this time for being bias is pathetic.

Now here is another perspective. People in large cities like NYC are dependent on what the cities provide. They are not self sufficient. So who is in better shape someone that has never seen harship or someone that sees it constantly. Who is the better survivor.

Please put things in perspective is like me going into Marca board(spanish forum) and start complaining that they only talk about Spain and how great their sports are. I only see argentinians going into that board to complain which is pretty stupid is a Spanish forum the main focus is Spain.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

We get a blackout for a few days, we riot. In parts of the Caribbean, they get a blackout that lasts a few months, plus all their roads washed out, cities destroyed, and no water for a long time, they deal with it. Most of the hardship is not the direct effect from the storm, but the fact that most Americans are poorly prepared for a blackout.

Think. What do you do when the lights go out? Do you simply light the candles? Do you have enough to last several months? Most people that use flashlights have inadequate ones. Where I work, they gave out "just in case" flashlights that were barely adequate. Those things were so wimpy that I don't think they would be able to see jack squat. I have a headlight that is powerful enough that, if the lights went totally out, I would pull it out and turn it on--and the immediate area I need lit would be at least as well lit as when they have electricity. And no hands needed. I have smaller versions at home, plus several different lanterns and flashlights (including two Nitecore EA1's, Fenix LD22, O-Light T-25, a Fenix TK-45, and my Fenix HP-20 headlight that is even better than having electricity). These all take NiMH batteries, which are of the low self-discharge variety. And chargers that can handle up to 32 batteries at once (including 12 D size) and another 16-bay charger on the way.

And, if people are such wusses now that they whine about a simple blackout now, I don't know what they are going to do when Arabia cuts off our oil and rolling blackouts become a regular event. They will blow through batteries so fast that they will not be able to afford anything else even without hyperinflation. Batteries will be impossible to buy then, and rechargeable batteries and chargers will be in extremely short supply. As for me, I just keep using batteries and then place them in a charger bay. The lights only come on for 2 hours, and I can have nearly 50 AA batteries totally charged. (Or, 36 AA and 12 D batteries.) Perhaps people in America need to start preparing better for things--the real disaster is that we are not prepared for anything.

• simon17
    simon17

We get a blackout for a few days, we riot.

Wait, who's rioting? I've been watching the news, its been 7 days without power for many over on the East Coast and somehow I've missed the vast reports of rioting.

And, if people are such wusses now that they whine about a simple blackout now.

Who is whining about not having power? Actually who is whining about anything? All I'm seeing is that scores were killed, thousands and thousands of homes were washed away, burned or destroyed, and maybe $50 billion in damage was done to the East Coast, and people whining that the victims have the AUDACITY to be covered in the media.

Most of the hardship is not the direct effect from the storm, but the fact that most Americans are poorly prepared for a blackout.

So you're saying the storm was nothing, but it's just the blackout that has caused problems.

I wonder if the people in Breezy Point are worried about no power: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1195049.1351695367!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/breezy-point.jpg

Or the people on the Jersey shore: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c100.0.403.403/p403x403/403498_457569034288849_1839195891_n.jpg

And on and on and on.

Some having no power is an inconvenience. The devestation that it looks like thousands are facing is real.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Is someone seriously whinging about the NEW YORK Times giving priority to the disaster in New York?

Bloody hell.

If there's one thing you can't knock Americans for, it's their charitable giving.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's only pathetic if you weren't looking for it or missed it:

" Help outside the U.S. -- Hurricane Sandy took a deadly toll on the Caribbean before it hit the United States. Operation USA and the International Medical Corps are helping people affected by Sandy in Haiti and Cuba. Operation USA is also providing aid to the East Coast."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/us/iyw-how-to-help-after-sandy/index.html

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

How screwed would the outside countries be if America does not take care of itself?

Go ask China and the Middle East for aid next time your region needs aid!

Americans can never do enough to all the greedy countries wanting to suck it dry! What Bullshit and short sighted views, bite the hand that feeds most of the poor countries in pain!

Yawn. You honestly think America is always first to offer aid? What BS! Thats up there with JW,s being first to help after a disaster! Half the countries that need aid do so because of the foreign policies of America. Dear God, wake up and get over yourselves.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are enough to go around, but it's sad that the news finds the worst people to stir things up. At first, positive reports of people cooperating or rescueing or sharing their power or whatever. But as time went on, there was room to report more. The media gets angry Staten Islanders on camera to complain despite the fact that these particular ones are healthy and lost no lives.

Heck, they got someone on the news who complained about flying to NYC and shelling out hotel fare then having the Marathon cancelled. She didn't say it, but she will have an expensive vacation, take in a Broadway show, enjoy electricity, but not get to run 26 miles in any official NY Marathon.

Don't judge everyone by the reports. I bet there are plenty of Staten Island residents doing all they can. I know plenty of cops and firefighters live there. I bet plenty of people who already traveled for the marathon understand.

But the point was already made that these are our own people. Of course our people and our government have to focus on our people's needs. Yet they still sent aid to other places.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

mP, what you said is nonsensical.

It is a commonly accepted practice for news media to give priority to reporting what its consumers will actually experience when they step outside of their front door. Each person actually IS the center of their world, from their perspective. This is not unique to Americans. I noticed that UK media have a lot of coverage about a family of characters in the UK who live on the public dole, whom they call the Royals. But I rarely see the Daily Mail or Telegraph have coverage about the royal family of Thailand, or Burundi.

If you choose to be sad about this phenomenon as it applies to the Sandy storm, that's your right.

Good luck with that.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I haven't read everything posted about this but I have to say that America is the center of my world regarding what devastation Sandy has brought on my fellow Americans. This is my home and these are my people. It saddens me to see how these people have lost everything;they no longer have a home, clothes, no water, electricity, and are hungry and cold. That does not mean that I do not sympathize with all those others who have also died or been devastated by Sandy. America and Americans have always been there for others who suffer from these storms. America provides foreign aid to many nations all the time, not only during times of disasters.From my recollecion, many Americians went to Haite to help out when they had the last hurricane and many may still be there helping. Anyway, why pit one nation against another during times like these. People can have sympathy for more than on nation at the same time. It's just that this time it happened in a big way to American and we all feel it deeply. I live 10 miles from the Atlantic and I know that could have been me if not for the direction the storm chose to take.

PHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit