Its sad how Americans think they are the center of the world regarding Sandy...

by mP 94 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You know---you can have all the issues with the government you want---we all have issues with our government. That wasn't your point and is not now. You just want to bash Americans, and I find that quite ignorant. Have fun with the hating.

• mP
    mP

ATROPO

mP you didn't answer the question about how the temperature up north is a pretty big issue that the Caribbean doesn't have to worry about.

mP:

Its not freezing in NYC and neighbouring places, its only mid autumn.

A:

The fact that you mention africans dieing everyday vs 9/11 is pretty simplistic and the comparison is uncalled for.

mP:

You missed the point completely, i was highlighting the bias in reporting and complete exaggeration.

A:

First when you have an event happening all the time it looses its impact is no longer newsworthy. Good or bad thats a fact. So if people die in

a place that doesn't happen is newsworthy.

Second did you stop and think that most of the deaths in africa or third world countries are self induce? From corrupt goverments to irresponsible human beings having a lot of kids without the means to support them etc. etc.

mP:

THis is a sad statement. So the dead and hopeless in the Carib dont count because their governments are corrupted. My comments were exclusively about Sandy and its aftermath, at nostage did i refer to life in general.

A:

Pathetic how people from other contries cry when the US gets involved but then cry when the US doesn't get involved.

And is normal that the media and the people here talk mainly about the US. I been to NY I can relate and talk about it, however I never been to the Caribbean and can't really related so should I talk about something I don't know about. Go complain to international media if they are only talking about the US. Complaining to this forum or about the US media at this time for being bias is pathetic.

mP:

I was just making this statement because a lot of people in their Sandy repsonses are completely forgetting about the Caribbean countries like they dont count and was trying to get some perspective.

A:

Now here is another perspective. People in large cities like NYC are dependent on what the cities provide. They are not self sufficient. So who is in better shape someone that has never seen harship or someone that sees it constantly. Who is the better survivor.

A:

Please put things in perspective is like me going into Marca board(spanish forum) and start complaining that they only talk about Spain and how great their sports are. I only see argentinians going into that board to complain which is pretty stupid is a Spanish forum the main focus is Spain.

MP:
    Since when was English an exclusive domain of America ? Where does it say this forum is for Americans and invites outsiders ?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

NC, Haters gotta hate. The American military, government, educational institutions, and industry decide to share computers and Internet technology with the rest of the world and this is how some will respond.

"vast numbers of peoples in SOuth America, Africa, Asia, Middle East dont like Americans"

You should come see the view from over here. On campus we got loads of South and Central Americans, Africans, Asians, Arabs, all nationalities that come here to study. As many of them stay as can get paperwork. Muslems get together for prayers on campus. Lots of women wear the hijab. The ones I know, want to stay in the US. The fact is, vast number of people from around the world are trying to live like Americans and want to live here. It's surprising how many are ready to ditch their traditions, their native food, clothes, culture, and homeland, in order to get the latest American goods, McDonald's and KFC, that even most of us Americans aren't that crazy about.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Its not freezing in NYC and neighbouring places, its only mid autumn."

Ah, spoken by someone truly uninformed. Tonight's predicted low in NYC is right at freezing, with the windchill below freezing. And New York can get snow in autumn. In fact, Sandy brought snow inland. A lot of wind and snow. A 6 state region got dumped on, many areas with a foot or more. One of my professors couldn't get back to class last week because of snow!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/hurricane-sandy-recap-historic-storm-from-storm-surge-to-snow/2012/10/31/9a7c56d8-2362-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_blog.html

• still thinking
    still thinking

I think this thread is horrible. If someone came on to talk about New Zealanders like this I would be a bit peeved. You cannot make blanket statements about countries and their inhabitants and what they think or don't think based on some media reports.

As I stated earlier in this thread. NZ and America always help each other when it comes to disasters. We may have differences politically. But at the end of the day, just like america, we help most other counties around the world not just our own.

I think the whole premise of this thread is distastful considering there has just been a disaster there and lives lost.

Have some decency.

This thread should have been locked a long time ago.

Posting guidelines:

1. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"America does not feed anyone, waht a joke."

Also spoken by someone uninformed. I come from an area that grows and processes tons of grain for American and foreign consumption.

• atrapado
    atrapado

mP If you think that the 9/11 reporting was bias and exaggeration or Sandy let me ask you the following: Where you in ground 0 or the surrounding areas for 9/11 or where you in the eas coast(NY, NJ) for Sandy could you tell us how is an exaggeration? I'll agree with you that is bias I don't see the problem if they media is from the US like I said before if is international media then you are right they shouldn't only mention the US.

"Its not freezing in NYC and neighbouring places, its only mid autumn."

You think mid autumn in NY means warm weather? Today NY city 33F feels like 28F. Last time I check 32F is freezing. Can you find any caribbean city that is dropping below 50F? I search but the lowest I found from the major cities was 61F.

My point about the deaths in 3rd world countries and Africa was when you compared them to 9/11 when they are self induce. So was Sandy something self-induce? I don't think we could blame any people from the Caribbean. So how can you compare what happen to 9/11 to sel-induce deaths?

I was not trying to say that this forum is Americans only. But, if I am wrong someone please correct me, the majority in the forum are from the US. Or lets narrow the questions how many here from the Caribbean or with family members there? So if none are from there isn't reasonable that it might be the reason you hear little about it here? I would find no fault if any of the countries in the Caribbean failed to talk about how Sandy afected the US and just focus on their own.

"I was just making this statement because a lot of people in their Sandy repsonses are completely forgetting about the Caribbean countries like they dont count and was trying to get some perspective."

Really you where trying to get some perspective? You think "Its sad how Americans think they are the center of the world regarding Sandy..." then calling us pathetic is a way to try to get perspective?

If you where trying to get some perspective why not just ask the question directly and leave out the "think they are the center of the world" or "pathetic" out of the question? I am pretty sure that if you had done that more people would have giving you their perspective.

Maybe even a simple 'lets not forget the people affected in the Caribbean' would have gotten more sympathy. I might be wrong but like others have mention you sound anti-american and used this to vent out.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Billy, I see the same thing on my college campus. But I was reminded of a story some years ago, where 2 men were put into jail. They were from an African country (can't remember which) and were put in jail for being here illegally. Anyway, they really captured attention locally and got interviewed. They both were all smiles, and totally enjoying JAIL! They would play basketball, play cards and make friends. When asked about their constant happiness, they said that even life in an American jail was better than life at home. It was quite stunning. The other inmates took to them and would pay for stuff at the commissary to give to them because they had no money.

It was really weird. They printed their pics with huge smiles.

Maybe they would object to this thread. I didn't see the follow-up story, but remember wishing really hard that they got to stay. The possiblity was there.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And the latest from wikipedia. Far more total death and destruction came to the US and Canada than to the combined caribbean islands. I'm sure mP will be very happified by this news, and by the fact that the East Coast is due for more bad weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_sandy

Casualties and damages by country
    CountryFatalitiesMissingDamage (in USD)Sources
    United States1131$50 billion (estimated)[ 154 ] [ 155 ] [ 156 ]
    Haiti5421Unknown[ 157 ] [ 158 ]
    Cuba110$2 billion (estimated)[ 154 ] [ 159 ] [ 160 ]
    Bahamas20$300 million (estimated)[ 154 ] [ 161 ]
    Canada20Unknown[ 162 ] [ 163 ]
    Dominican Republic20Unknown[ 154 ]
    Jamaica10$55.23 million (estimated)[ 154 ] [ 164 ]
    Bermuda00Unknown[ 154 ]
    Total18522>$52.4 billion (estimated)
  • besty
    besty

@b the ex

The American military, government, educational institutions, and industry decide to share computers and Internet technology with the rest of the world and this is how some will respond.

Glad that you are using a British invention to make your point :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

PS - with regard to the OP, Google News shows:

87,000 results for the search term <"hurricane sandy" Caribbean>

4,200,000 results for <"hurricane sandy" "East Coast">

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit