Its sad how Americans think they are the center of the world regarding Sandy...

by mP 94 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

MP, how dare us try to help our own citizens too!

We nearly ALWAYS help others in crisis, yet our kindness is returned with hate, and a feeling that we can never do enough. Sounds familiar.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It is a catastrophe that hit American soil, and since we are in America, it makes sense that we will make the headlines. But I HAVE seen the other destruction reported, and I've not been watching much television. America always reaches out to diaster struck areas outside our borders. I know that I do. Which is why this theme has been so very disappointing. Perhaps it is only timing, but it has come up several times recently, and it just baffles me. The charity I choose to support monthly is Doctors Without Borders, and there are plenty of people here in need of doctors.

Seriously, are Americans so horrible that they can't get just a little bit of leeway while we pick up the pieces?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

A lot of people outside the USA think that Sandy was a fart in the wind here. It wasn't. It was a Major storm that did a lot of damage to the East Coast. More damage than many of you think.

• mP
    mP

Ohio:

How dare you trivilise and forget to mention the Caribbean and instead whinge about petrol. Im sure many Americans are having a hard time, but lets keep some perspective, they have it easy compared to smaller poor islands south.

This is the same bullshit we hear all the time about 9/11 like it was the worst most tragic evil event in history. 3000+ people die everyday in Africa, and they dont cry as often. In WW2 millions died, and yet we dont hear about it as often. How many times do we hear about the thousnads that die in Iq and Af every single day in the past because of Americas war ? At best once.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

*shakes head*

f**k it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

mP, you are never invited to a funeral in my family. Don't you know the cardinal rule - never stomp your man when he is down?

• mP
    mP

Ohio:

I never claimed Sandy is not a tragedy, im just saying the Carib suffered a lot more. You are putting words in my mouth which i have never insinuated, i have previously acknowledged it was bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

CountryFatalitiesMissingDamage (in USD)Sources United States1101$50 billion (estimated) [155] [156] [157] Haiti5421Unknown [158] [159] Cuba110$80 million [155] [160] Bahamas20$300 million (estimated) [155] [161] Canada20Unknown [162] [163] Dominican Republic20Unknown [155] Jamaica10$55.23 million (estimated) [155] [164] Bermuda00Unknown [155] Total18222>$50 billion (estimated)

America can afford 50B, Cuba, Haiti cant the small values assigned to them.
  • Soledad
    Soledad

Before this gets out of hand let me just say that there are many Americans, especially in the NY/NJ area, who have family and significant ties in the Caribbean and are plenty concerned and are doing what they can to help. One cripple is helping another, but we're managing to do it anyway. The media just doesn't pick up on that.

Considering just the sheer size of the NYC-mid Atlantic region, to not have petrol and electricity for many days at a time is a very big deal, especially when other regions depend heavily on ours for many things.

• mP
    mP

jgnat:

mP, you are never invited to a funeral in my family. Don't you know the cardinal rule - never stomp your man when he is down?

mP:

Its not nice to grab attention when others are doing it much tougher and deserve center stage so they aren not forgotten. SO some americans dont have electricity, big deal some in the carib have a lot less. Their countries have absolute no resources to help them.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    There has been a lot of comment in the media in the UK about the apparent lack of concern for non-American victims of the storm in the US media.
    I think there was 60 deaths in the Caribbean before it got to New Jersey.

We've had at least the same amount of deaths here, many estimates put it much higher. Because it happened in the USA, are our deaths any less valid?

mP, have fun with your hate-fest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit