Why aren't you an Atheist?

by Bloody Hotdogs! 697 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Eh? Of course it is. How is that even controversial?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Used to believe in a Biblical God but I'm basically a Deist now. You can Google that.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Because atheism isn't a claim to knowledge at all, it isn't even about knowledge. Atheism makes no claims and asserts no truths it is merely the absence of theistic belief - nothing more.

Nic'

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

nicolau come on, atheism is the belief that God does not exists. This involves a number of knowledge claims. First that we can speak inteligibly about such things. Then it defines the object of its disbelief and goes on to claim that it has no ontological reality.

This is vastly different from a radical skeptical perspective.

cofty saying that God is a human construct is not saying very much. All human knowledge is socially constructed.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I have found the central message of the Bible, namely the unabridged "good news", to be very scientific, cohesive, comprehensive and superior to all our human intelligence and efforts at problem solving.

It was this "good news" which liberated me and my family from religion.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    nicolau come on, atheism is the belief that God does not exists [sic]

It absolutely is NOT! Now, I accept that many atheists go on to make that claim and you can hold them to account if you wish but don't confuse a personal position (of which there may be thousands) with a simple, well defined definition of a word;

atheism;

NOUN [mass noun]

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/atheism

• kassad84
    kassad84

just my opinion: there are too much coincidence...

just take earth for example, it has just the right position in the solar system. the solar system has just the right position in the milky way. and that's just the beginning.

i think atheists have been here since the time of old. its been mentioned in Psalms 14:1.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The most current estimates are that there are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the Universe, each of which has hundreds of billions of stars. It is not a 'coincidence' that one planet in ONE of these star systems exists in a suitable environment for supporting life - statistically it is a damn near CERTAINTY!

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

Atheist here.

@Datadog:
    "The natural world is infinitely more complicated. I just can't believe it came to be by pure chance. "

That is NOT what evolution claims.
    It is not by pure chance that life diversity appears. But natural selection which is an observable fact.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I know your question is Why aren't you an Atheist? I think the questions should be "why aren't you agnostic?" (and I don't want to start my thread).

Combine the complete lack of evidence with the mathematical probability of a god being so infinitesimally small; and the only sensible conclusion is there is no God!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit