Why aren't you an Atheist?

by Bloody Hotdogs! 697 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Atheism is just one facet of adopting healthy skepticism and rejecting superstition.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Atheism is a knowledge claim.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome! I am already.

Best wishes on your quest.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have not really been able to figure out what I am. Athiest seems to require a conviction I do not feel. Agnostic doesn't seem to fit either. I believe there is something out there bigger than ourselves, although what, I cannot say. You would think after 12 years out of the cult I would have a better idea, but after being so darn sure I had the *only* true religion, then finding out it was all a lie, I find I am OK with some ambiguity.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I am not an atheist. I am not a religious person either. I believe, however that there is far too much evidence of a spiritual realm thay we cannot understand (and I don't try to any more).

I think God speaks to everyone in different ways and always has. Some through the Quran, some through the Bible, others through the Torah or others through the words of Buddha.

I no longer feel I have all of the answers, and since leaving the WT, I have found much more enlightenment and peace and relief from anxiety, by realizing I don't need all of the answers.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"I like having hope"

A truly beautiful and honest answer. I wish that hope alone was sufficient to be reality, but we all know it is not, even if that knowledge hurts.

Snare x

• JWB
    JWB

Maybe because I don't want to join another popular belief system and want to have the humility to acknowledge that the more I know the more I don't know. I like Outlaw's outlook and Slimboyfat's statement. I try not to worry about what may or may not be. One thing I do hate though is dogmatism and any claims to absolute truth. Whether you believe or not, the fact is that you are here, so what are you going to do with your life? Waste it arguing over the existence or not of 'God' or over the 'proper' understanding of the Bible or some other religious book? Do you get your sense of self-worth and identity from belonging to this group or that? At the end of the day its up to you to think for yourself and decide for yourself. I won't allow myself to be bullied into accepting some group's particular brand of 'logic' by those who try to win arguments by calling into question my sanity or appeal to 'authority' or the supposed number who accept a particular view as true. I decided long ago that I wouldn't leave my independent thinking lying on the road leading away from the organization!

• cofty
    cofty

Atheism is a knowledge claim.

Too late at night for a debate on semantics.

I find the term "atheism" has become very vague. Its not helped by people who try to win arguments by redefining it to suit their own purpose.

There are self-proclaimed atheists who believe in karma and fate and all sorts of other alternative philosophies. IMO they are no less superstitious than theists.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"Atheism is a knowledge claim"

A not so beautiful or honest answer. The truth is, regarding a god...Atheism states we dont have the knowlede TO claim

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Welcome aboard (and don't eat bloody hotdogs!)

Ucantnome said:

Why aren't you an Atheist?

I like having hope

Even if you know it's false hope?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit