Why aren't you an Atheist?

by Bloody Hotdogs! 697 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    My question for the forum is this: If you have used reason, logic, science, whatever, to liberate your mind from the JW faith, why haven't you also let go of God?

That question works for me. Once I freed my mind from the misleading doctrine of the JW's, I had to know what else was wrong with the Bible, the supposed basis for the JW religion. Then I had to know what was wrong with Christianity, and belief. I went through this very similarly to the way you ask it so straighforward.

But despite my own confidence that there is ample evidence of a world without need of a creator, a universe without need of a creator, I also try to understand that many people have gained (through evolution) a need to believe. It's not as simple as saying you cannot prove a teacup is not orbiting the earth, it's about equal to the vast majority of humanity believing and proclaiming the teacup in orbit and suddenly, virtually in a single generation, rumors start that the teacup isn't there. You can't expect everyone to abandon their beliefs in the teacup.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Is it really hope if you know its false? At that point its more of day dream than actual hope...

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Awww, agnostics are a bunch of lazy non-committal wishy-washy people, who just refuse to put a bit of thought into it! They're the Swiss, the Neville Chamberlains, the non-joiners, the pacifists, the undecided voters of the World who refuse to take sides on anything!!

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet
    Awww, agnostics are a bunch of lazy non-committal wishy-washy people, who just refuse to put a bit of thought into it! They're the Swiss, the Neville Chamberlains, the non-joiners, the pacifists, the undecided voters of the World who refuse to take sides on anything!!

I normally enjoy reading your posts, as they present an alternate view on discussions at hand, even though they may be unconventional, for lack of a better word.

But since you can condescend on a belief different than your own, what have you found to be the TRUTH?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Welcome to the forum...Its a journey, and everyone has different experiences and needs. While we need to believe, we do.

Letting go of a god belief is an intensly personal experience, especially if you truly believed in the concept to begin with. Some people never want to let go. It comforts and sustains those that prefer dreams to reality. It gives hope to those that don't realise you can have hope without a god.

Others find the mere thought of a godless world too scary. Would we have no morals? What would inspire and guide us on our life journey? Even those that believe in belief, but not in God still cling to this idea for fear that society will disintegrate without a god concept. Even some atheists fear that a religionless society would be detrimental, some veiw religion as having a positive impact even if the belief is not real.

It's all a matter of perception. And it is reinforced by the vast majority of humans supporting this idea regardless of there being no evidence that it is true.

• NewChapter
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

King solomon the not so wise,

The only true statement is "We dont know."

Firstly..I am greatful you dont work in science.

secondly... On probability and the evidence of gods invention along with lack of evidence of his existance. Saying I am 99% convinced he doesnt exist is not only NOT wishy-washy, it is kind for I am saying there is 1% chance you are right and not a blind, ignorant fool, worshing the empty space above you and praying to nothing more than an imagined egomaniac with tendency for genocide, slavery, war, incest, rape, racism, sexism and dictatorship that demands exclusive devotion, a jealous, wrathful ball bag.

A whole 1%...... Just for you!

snare x

• jam
    jam

Agnostic here. In case Iam wrong and there is a God, I

a can tell him I wasn,t sure. So will half believing in you

get me a ticket out of hell. It,s not my fault, Satan did a

damn good job in misleading me.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

As long as we understand that "we don't know" is not a 50/50 proposition. I also don't know, 100%, that unicorns don't exist, but I give gods and unicorns the same probability. Except for Cthulu. Oh and Itshehe, which is the god we made up here a few months ago by committee when given the challenge that humans could not create gods. And I have to agree to an extent, while creating the god was very easy, committing something to writing turned quite problematic. But the scriptures are well on the way now.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Itshehe is real..oh...that's right its not....

Itshehe is the bestest god EVER!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit