SAD news about OOMPA......

by redredrose 630 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Could some one who knows Eric writ up an obit ...

there are at least 400 - 450 posters just on here sending love

and 14849 views on this thread remembering him.

clarity

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Hi, all... It'd be nice if something positive could come out of this. Please consider this idea... http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/239225/1/Eric-Reeders-Memorial I'm starting to feel better just considering this as an opportunity. I know many may not be there yet and I completely understand, but I'd certainly be willing to contribute in any way I can if it makes sense.
  • zed is dead
    zed is dead

Steve Winwood's lyrics I dedicate to Eric:

It's already written that today will be one to remember
    The feeling's the same as being outside of the law
    Had to cry today
    Well, I saw your sign and I missed you there

I'm taking the chance to see the wind in your eyes while I listen
    You say you can't reach me but you want every word to be free
    Had to cry today

Well, I saw your sign and I missed you there
    And I missed you there

Had to cry today ...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

For the benefit of those who might read this in the future this is the newspaper notice that Eric Reeder's family had printed (the link will eventually evaporate)

"ERIC REEDER

Obituary

GREENSBORO — Eric Reeder, 51, died Thursday, September 27, 2012.

Cremation services entrusted to Triad Cremation Society, Inc.

Published in News Record on September 30, 2012
  • NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

....and please forgive me for using the word "Memorial."

The connotation of that word in JWland was just brought to my attention and I can't change the title of the post. :-(

I think you all would be able to recognize my sincere intent.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Just saw this thread. I am so shocked and saddened. Another beautiful caring loving person's life RUINED, in this case ENDED, as a direct result of the policies of this Pharisaical self-aggrandizing cult. If there is a God or Jesus, in the sense the Bible portrays, He must be shuddering with rage at the evil and injustice done in His name.

RIP, Eric. I wish I could have known you. If only you could have known all the love and respect your friends at JWN held for you. Wherever you are, you finally know the secrets of the universe. I hope you have found peace, my friend.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I looked at the site again and although only the family can publish an obituary (they chose the "freebie" version, which is just the announcement, and chose not to add the guestbook option for condolences), friends may publish an "In Memoriam" ad and include the guestbook:

http://www.news-record.com/help/obituariesfaq
    As someone said above, obviously someone who knew him well should do this (I thought about it last night but do not want to be presumptuous as I didn't know him personally), but it would be fitting for his family (and the JWs) to see how many lives he touched, and how many people loved him unconditionally.

• undercover
    undercover

I heard of this sad news outside of JWN late Friday. I met Eric, talked with him on the phone several times, had a couple of meetups with him, but lost touch with him as time marched on.

He was a truly nice guy. For someone as friendly and fun loving to be treated as he was by the congregation, it hurt him deep down. He was a tortured soul. Losing his wife, parents, life long friends was very very hard on him. He had other issues as well, but ones that I thought he had gotten a handle on.

I feel pretty bad that I didn't try keeping in touch with him more.

R.I.P. Eric

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

So are his family too cheap to do a decent obit, or is this something the funeral director does as a matter of course?

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

The newspaper obit FAQ says they will only print one obit and will only accept the order from one family member (I'm assuming the first family member to get around to it?) They will not print additional obits (though mourners may choose to publish an "In Memoriam" ad which I assume runs sort of in the same area of the paper, or something?

So, as far as I can tell from the site, a family member would have had to choose that freebie option. And they also chose not to include a "guestbook" (other obits there have them) where mourners may leave notes paying their respects.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit