Jwfacts, Why Do You Equate Miracles With Magic?

by Recovery 398 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

It is defined as: "an argument based upon an assumed similarity between two things, people, or situations when in fact the two things being compared are not similar in the manner invoked."

Okay, I'll try this out.

There are two men, both throw a stick to the ground and it becomes a snake. Both claim that their God empowered them to do this.

Using this event alone, which man was using Magic and which performed a Miracle?

You claim that the similarity between the two things being compared are not similar in the manner invoked.

So how are the two different?

Both performed a supernatural event with the help of a spirit creature. Is the only diferentiator between what is considered magic and what is considered a miracle who performed it? Because that is exactly what JWFacts states: "the Bible shows that God's followers practice magic, even if they are usually referred to as miracles"

If you cannot differentiate between magic and a miracle until you learn who performed it, that is not a logical fallacy, that is doctrine.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

WOW! Hey, I'm watching Amish Out Of Order, and this episode is about how the Pentacostals, much like JW's, swoop like vultures to pick up Amish who are confused and looking for support. Get 'em when they are down!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Recovery, when the magic practicing priests turned their sticks to snakes, was it is a miracle, or magic, or can the terms be used interchangeably?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Baltar asks:

WTF is the difference?

They're the same in practice, although one has a pejorative connotation, while the other is laudatory, depending on who's doing the trick and which supernatural being is involved.

PEJORATIVE

: a word or phrase that has negative connotations or that is intended to disparage or belittle : a pejorative word or phrase

LAUDATORY

: of, relating to, or expressing praise <laudatory reviews>

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Since magic is not real or either are miracles, this leaves the question why restrain a child's imagination, since when they grow up

and become adults they will eventually realize this to be so ?

Only the truly ignorant would think magic is real or its has superstitious value.

Perhaps the ancients thought magic and spiritualism was real and therefore dangerous as it was an era of human ignorance remember,

3000 years forward in the 21 century we know better don't we Recovery ?

The Sparlock video put out by the WTS. just shows how intellectually stupid and petty they are on areas of human behavior and psychology.

• Recovery
    Recovery

I am quite satisfied with the results of this thread. I am happy to know that God's word in the end prevails and of course JW's prevail because in this area they certainly adhere to the Bible. I'm glad to address those who were at least mature enough to try to counter the argument instead of posting Wikipedia cut and pastes like we're 5 year olds.

OUTLAW thanks for the insults. I'll think about those when I need to give someone an example of a desperate attempt to be funny that falls flat on its face every time.

Razziel - I don't see how this is a pointless argument, because the Bible, the dictionary, and most people with common sense will tell you that miracles performed by Almighty God are not considered to be "magic" or "sorcery".

King Solomon - please point out the argument that caused me to side step your posts. Please present this Recovery-shattering Biblical assessment that will make me put my tail in between my legs. Please show me where I used deceptive tactics and where I undermined my own arguments. I'd love to see this.

Mrsjones5 and yesidid continued to talk about how much they love pumpkin soup and some other random things from Wikipedia

NewChapter continued to weep and gnash her teeth until she ran out of Kleenex so she decided to join Mrsjones5 in the diversionary cut and paste tactics.

elderelite - Well of course I wanted them to defend their favorite website, jwfacts. This is all they quote from and refer me to in nearly every thread a theological discussion takes place. In fact, a lot of the arguments used on this board are simply rehashes of what is presented on jwfacts and websites like towerwatch. We know the Bible is right about magic. However, the ex JWs say JWs are wrong about magic. So which is it, who's right and who's wrong? It's been proven clearly to be that JW's are right and that the arguments jwfacts used are deceptive, misleading, and full of logical fallacies which calls into question their entire website.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By the way God doesn't really disapprove of magic, for he told Aaron to throw his staff before a Pharaoh which tuned into a snake.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I see... Well as i say, you did mislable the thread, at least a little :-) but to my point.... Why do feel the watchtower bible and track society's governing body is god's channel of communication....? Or would you prefer we start a new thread so as to preserve this one's original intent?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Go back and read it VERY CAREFULLY... Move your lips, if you must. I pointed out how jwfacts.com website doesn't represent anything but the efforts of one person, warts and all.... There's no "apostate" organization AFAIK, so no organization, and certinly no claim to having Divine insight or the supernatural direction via a FDS: you do. Why does WTBTS engage in dishonest quote-mining and cherry-picking? Does that strike you as moral or ethical? BUT BACK TO THIS QUESTION: RECOVERY, YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN EITHER MAGIC OR MIRACLES IN 2012, DO YOU? Voo-Doo? Witchcraft? (A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, or even a OR will do.)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Where's Poopsie and the popcorn?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit