Jwfacts, Why Do You Equate Miracles With Magic?

by Recovery 398 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm not much of a sweet potato fan either. For thanksgiving I'd rather have peach cobbler or carrot cake.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I absolutely love pumpkin and sweet potato. I'm not a big fan of coconut though, although the pic looks great.

I worked with a woman whose mother made sweet potato pies every Christmas and sold them. She would bring in a pie of us to sample and take orders. OMFSM---soooo good. I prefer sweet potato pie over pumpkin pie now, but had never had it before that co-worker brought it in. Still love pumpkin pie though, but the stuff they sell in the bakery is just too sweet. I don't know why they do that. Anyway, I should consider making my own to cut down on the sweetness---they over season them too. It's okay to let the pumpkin flavor come through!

Ah but that pumpkin soup. Just the best and I miss it every year.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Now, now, now: don't object when someone hijacks your thread if you do it to others. I believe some old book says something along those lines, said by some guy.... I was thinking of Confucius, 500 BC. Who were you thinking of?

The saying is almost universal, found in almost all ancient cultures.

From wikipedia:

An early example of the Golden Rule that reflects the Ancient Egyptian concept of Maat appears in the story of The Eloquent Peasant, which dates to the Middle Kingdom (c. 2040–1650 BCE): "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you."

Most Xians don't know that the golden rule predates Jesus by as long as the time since Jesus is said to have walked the Earth until today.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

This is not hijacking a thread, this is tradition. When we get a troll, we talk about food.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Golden Rule

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Not to be confused with the Golden Law or the Golden ratio. For other uses, see Golden Rule (disambiguation). Book with "Dieu, la Loi, et le Roi" on one page and the golden rule on the other.

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim, [ 1 ] ethical code, or morality [ 2 ] that essentially states either of the following:

• (Positive form of Golden Rule): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself. [ 1 ]
    • (Negative form of Golden Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.

This concept describes a "reciprocal", or "two-way", relationship between one's self and others that involves both sides equally, and in a mutual fashion. [ 3 ] [ 4 ]

This concept can be explained from the perspective of psychology, philosophy, sociology, religion, etc.: Psychologically, it involves a person empathizing with others. Philosophically, it involves a person perceiving their neighbor as also "an I" or "self." [ 3 ] [ 4 ] Sociologically, this principle is applicable between individuals, between groups, and also between individuals and groups. (For example, a person living by this rule treats all people with consideration, not just members of his or her in-group). Religion is an integral part of the history of this concept. [ 1 ] [ 5 ]

As a concept, the Golden Rule has a history that long predates the term "Golden Rule", or "Golden law", as it was called from the 1670s. [ 1 ] [ 6 ] As a concept of "the ethic of reciprocity," it has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard way that different cultures use to resolve conflicts. [ 1 ] [ 5 ] It has a long history, and a great number of prominent religious figures and philosophers have restated its reciprocal, "two-way" nature in various ways (not limited to the above forms). [ 1 ]

Rushworth Kidder discusses the early contributions of Confucius (551–479 BCE) (See a version in Confucianism below). Kidder notes that this concept's framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions". [ 7 ] According to Greg M. Epstein, " 'do unto others' ... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely." [ 8 ] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition". [ 9 ] In his commentary to the Torah verse (Hebrew: "????? ???? ????" ca.1300 BCE):

You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your kinsfolk. Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD. —Leviticus 19:18 [ 10 ] , the "Great Commandment"

As Plaut points out, this is the earliest written version of the Golden Rule in a positive form. [ 11 ] All versions and forms of the proverbialGolden Rule have one aspect in common: they all demand that people treat others in a manner in which they themselves would like to be treated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

• Recovery
    Recovery

I am glad that onlookers can see how ridiculous the members posting in this thread look as they continue to use any diversionary tactic that works (even if it's not funny), because they simply don't have answer for the questions/arguments I presented. They cannot accept the fact that their almighty guru exJW website has been shown to be in serious doctrinal error and they cannot find a plausible way to justify it.

So by all means, continue the diversionary tactics. No amount of pumpkin soup will stop everyone from seeing what type of people you really are. People who don't care about the truth. People who just want to discredit JW's at all costs, regardless of what the truth is. I look forward to many more cut and pastes from Wikipedia, alot more ingredients and instructions from recipes.com, and perhaps even play directions from "Hamlet". Here's an idea: why don't you post the transcripts for the YPA DVD we're studying at the meeting this week.

Please, continue to show your desperation/inability to defend your WT replacement, jwfacts. I will continue to laugh while you come up with more pathetic attempts to distract the issue at hand.

And the weeping and gnashing and lashing and gagging and barfing and belching and cutting and pasting will continue until someone can defend their almighty anti-JW guru LOL

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I don't know...

Dancing with the Stars seems kinda boring this season.

• elderelite
    elderelite

How interesting.... It seems, my dear recovery, that you misnamed this thread.

You evidently wanted people to defend JWfacts, not discuss the idea of miracles vs magic. That's where some of the confusion on the parof the replies may be...

How very interesting that no cared to defend that website... Almost as if no one relied on it as their source of information and inspiration... Hmmmm....

Im very curious..... Why do you believe that the watchtower bible and track society is god's choosen channel of communication? Im more than happy to share why i do not share that view point, but im curious to hear why you do... Perhaps i need to adjust my thinking

• baltar447
    baltar447

Magic=spooky shit that "bad" people with an invisible diety's help

Magic("Miracles")=spooky shit that "righteous" people do with an invisible diety's help

WTF is the difference?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There is no difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit