Jwfacts, Why Do You Equate Miracles With Magic?

by Recovery 398 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Recovery
    Recovery

I have a question for the author of the website Jwfacts. As I was reading the Sparlock article, I couldn't help but notice something seriously wrong:

"The Bible abounds in vivid fantasy, such as its many celestial descriptions, or the portrayal of warring kingdoms with imaginary beasts.

The Sparlock message is confusing, as much for an adult as for a child, as the Bible shows that God's followers practice magic, even if they are usually referred to as miracles. For instance, the story of Moses and Pharaoh depicts Moses and Aaron battling magic tricks with Pharaoh's magic practicing priests. Aaron was a magic practicing priest himself; the only difference being that he followed a different God to the Egyptians. Sparlock even looks like Moses, who was complete with white beard and staff."

This is a logical fallacy known as "false analogy". It is defined as: " an argument based upon an assumed similarity between two things, people, or situations when in fact the two things being compared are not similar in the manner invoked."

Everyone has their own opinion of the video. Some love it, some hate it. I do not wish to engage in a discussion about your particular likes/dislikes. I'd like the author to address this logical fallacy, because he has attempted to justify the use of magic with Biblical miracles.

Who do we believe, Jehovah or Jwfacts? You decide.

Leviticus 19:26 "YOU must not look for omens, and YOU must not practice magic."

Deuteronomy 18:10 " There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer.."

Galatians 5:20 "works of the flesh are manifest..... idolatry, practice of spiritism.."

Revelation 21:8 "But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death.”

Welp, I guess we won't be seeing Moses, Aaron, any of God's prophets or first century Christians in the resurrection. They have all been condemned for practicing magic and will be hurled into the lack of fire. How hypocritical of God to devote them to everlasting destruction when he himself uses magic!

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

interesting. magic makes jah cry but its ok when daniel, joseph, or elisha do it. oh thats right. they take after jonah... EPIC FAIL prophesy.

• Recovery
    Recovery

Jwfacts: "The Sparlock video discourages critical thinking in the child. The message of lesson two is "Obey Jehovah", even when there is no explanation why. The mother does not reference any Scripture that says a wizard is bad, or even attempt to explain what is wrong with a wizard, it is just to be accepted that it makes Jehovah sad. The message is black and white; wizards are from Satan and make Jehovah sad, because Mum said so. The underlying message is therefore, "obey Jehovah without question."

This is also a misleading and inaccurate representation of what was demonstrated in the video. In fact, the mother encouraged the child's critical thinking when she asked him who it would be pleasing to and who it would not be pleasing to. The mother does not need to go into a detailed Bible exposee with a three year old. Why does the Mother conclude that Jehovah hates magic? Because it's in the Bible. No parent should be expected to flip open their Bible and discuss a scripture with their child every time they need to have their thinking adjusted on a certain matter. How can you say there is no explanation why, when the mother told the child why. It's because Jehovah hates it. For thinking adults, such a statement would INFER that they have discussed this with scripture previously and that's why it's unnecessary for the mom to read it again.

How can anyone arrive at the conclusion that the child's critical thinking was hindered and he was simply told to "obey Jehovah without question" when the mother gave a Bible-based response that those with reasoning minds can understand was simplified so that a THREE YEAR OLD could get the point?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Interesting.... Of course im not jw facts, but im curious... How do you differentiate between "magic" and a "miracle"?

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Why does everyone sound like the old Sol, to me?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

miracle ('m?r?k ? l)

n

an event that is contrary to the established laws of nature and attributed to a supernatural cause

magic ('mæd??k)

n

the art that,by use of spells, supposedly invokes supernatural powers to influence events;sorcery

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

E.E you retard. if the wt condones it, it is a miracle. if wt litterature condemns it it is magic. duh.

• Recovery
    Recovery

Jwfacts continues: " Sparlock is training the child for acceptance of Watchtower rules, an important lesson that is required to remain with a Jehovah's Witness for life, and key to running a high control religion. As a Witness child grows, the rules will change, but the unquestioning acceptance must not. The demands won't be to discard a plastic toy that makes Jehovah sad, but to avoid "worldly" school friends, forgo a higher education, shun a disfellowshipped relative, or refuse a blood transfusion. Though the Bible does not specifically discuss any of these, a Witness child is well conditioned not to notice, and accept them as directives from Jehovah."

Of course the Bible discusses worldly associates. Of course the Bible discusses the importance of living a simple life and putting Kingdom interests first. Of course the Bible discusses shunning those who call themselves brothers (even relatives), who refuse to live in harmony with God's standards. And of course the Bible discusses the holiness and importance of abstaining from blood on numerous occassions. Just in case these have somehow slipped the author's memory, I'd like to share those scriptures with you:

2 Corinthians 6:14-17 " Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Be′li·al (Satan)? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take YOU in.’”

1 Corinthians 5:11-13 " 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do YOU not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked [man] from among yourselves.” 2 John 10: "If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him." 2 Thessalonians 3:6 "Now we are giving YOU orders, brothers, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, to withdraw from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition YOU received from us." Matthew 6:33 "Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness.."

Acts 15:20 "but to write them to abstain....from blood."
  • Recovery
    Recovery

NewChapter thank you for pointing out to us the difference between magic and miracles.

miracle ('m?r?k ? l)

n

an event that is contrary to the established laws of nature and attributed to a supernatural cause

magic ('mæd??k)

n

the art that, by use of spells, supposedly invokes supernatural powers to influence events; sorcery

Magic is considered sorcery which is expressly condemned in the Bible. Also magic is an art that "BY THE USE OF SPELLS.." invokes supernatural powers. Oh what do you know, the use of spells is also condemned in the Bible.

• Razziel
    Razziel

This is also a misleading and inaccurate representation of what was demonstrated in the video. In fact, the mother encouraged the child's critical thinking when she asked him who it would be pleasing to and who it would not be pleasing to.

I suppose you think the questions in the Watchtower study are thought provoking and encourage critical thinking too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit