Jwfacts, Why Do You Equate Miracles With Magic?

by Recovery 398 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Recovery - "are not similar in the manner invoked"

In actual fact, they are not just similar, but almost identical. The definition of magic includes that it comes from supernatural sources. Both the Priest Aaron and the priests of Pharoah performed their miracles by calling on supernatural sources. That should be the end of the discussion, but you are like a dog with a bone.

You argue very much like the poster Renee. Is it you? It is hard to tell whether so many JWs on here sound the same because they have been dumbed down by constant parrotting of Watchtower indoctrination, or it is just the same person with a lot of aliases.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Recovery - I guess we should all play with oojiua boards since they are simply fantasy and are not attributed to real spirits. I guess we should watch goory, blood spilling, horror flicks that depict brutal murder, torture, rape, and violence simply because they are fantasy and are not attributed to real spirits/people.

You say this thread was to expose a rhetorical fallacy. Yet you have just made one of the classic ones - the slippery slope argument.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Christ said:

Wow, King Solomon, I'm beginning to see why so many people on JWN don't like you. You don't have a very kind way of speaking, do you? It seems like you get off on tearing people down and trying to come off as a bully.

Dude, get over yourself: just because you picked a loving and concerned Christ avatar doesn't make you Christ, or magically protect you from criticism when you say stoopid (sic) stuff. So put on your big-boy pants, or stay out of discussions if you don't have thick-enough skin to have your sacred and beloved beliefs questioned.

"Goodness gone corrupt"? You deep-thinker, you! Next you'll say that evil is the opposite of good? No spit.

What I meant by goodness gone corrupt is that evil existing doesn't necessarily mean that God created evil. Things breakdown and degrade. Rust is an example. I'm sorry if this was too symplistic for you. Many of the points I brought out seem to be too simple for you, and that's fine. Just ignore them.

You DO understand the difference between matter made of atoms, and ideas?

All matter in the Universe is subject to the laws of entropy (AKA degradation, where rust is a slower version of a fire burning, AKA oxidation). But ideas exist in brains, biological matter which is self-repairing. Ideas can be written down, where 1 + 1 = 2, now just as it did when arithmatic was developed by the Sumerians.

There is no reason that a perfect God would allow human brains to have the capacity for evil (eg medications are used to regulate the impulse control centers of the brain's frontal lobes that modulates the ability for humans to engage in "evil" acts). You can say this results from degradation as a result of Adamic sin, but then how did a perfect Adam sin, in their perfect state? Not so perfect, then?

WHO made Adam and Eve lacking in wisdom (the antonym is 'foolish', so God made them as fools), such that they desirous of wisdom to the point of foolishly and implusively disobeying YHWH?

I've written posts/threads on the topic before, so search for "diminished capacity" or "sociopath", and you can find posts written on how the Bible's description is consistent with the first couple being created as amoral sociopaths, hardly "perfect".

But none of that matters, from the standpoint that evil apparently existed BEFORE YHWH made man: Satan had fallen before man's creation, right? So why continue with the production of man and animals if the Divine Plan was already off-track? What happened to God's self-inspection skills, saying "it was good" at every step?

BTW, God doesn't give man the permission to exercise "free will" when it comes to sinning: "free will" only applies to conscience matters.

Sure he does. He tells you what the outcome will be regarding sinning, but you can keep on going. You may have to live with consequences, but you are still free to sin. Try and understand the words "free will" first, ok? It's different than having no consequences.

Sorry, but God does NOT give permission to disobey his laws. Any action contrary to YHWH's Divine Will is considered a sin. With sin comes wages of sin, death, punishment, etc. Punishment is inescapable, as God renders PERFECT justice, per the Bible.

There is NOTHING "free" in that situation, and the definition of free will is pretty basic, easy-to-understand:

free will

n. 1. The ability or discretion to choose; free choice: e.g. "chose to remain behind of my own free will." 2. The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will. The decision to engage in any action while under threat of punishment for it cannot be characterized as a "free will" choice: the choice is heavily biased towards compliance by the threat of punishment. Hence why I said that the only choices where man is allowed to exercise free will are those situations where God's Divine Will is mute on the subject. In JW eschatology, this would be situations where the JW uses their "Bible-trained" conscience after confirming that God is mute on the subject.

Shocking that you wouldn't know that: didn't you serve at Bethel? Not surprisingly, I guess: I've even heard many a JW elder say, "God didn't want to make Adam and Eve as robots, where they HAD to obey him, like robots." Nope, that's exactly what God SHOULD have done, since YHWH demands perfect compliance with His laws, where one bad choice meant death, suffering for all mankind. That's asking alot for humans that were made as fools, and YHWH should hardly be surprised that he made fools, and they made foolish choices (as fools are want to do).

That's called "appeal from ignorance", saying we don't know, but we should still believe in the unknown?

Sigh...again, you misunderstand. (Seems to be a theme). I didn't appeal to ignorance. I said there were things that I do not yet understand. I can believe in something that I don't FULLY understand. I don't fully understand how gravity works, but I see enough evidence to believe in it. I'm sorry if that example too is too simple for you. I was merely saying that there are some things that can't be commented on because full knowledge of it isn't readily available. That's a good thing. It pushes us to explore and investigate. Not to stay ignorant.

Sorry, but it was an appeal to ignorance:

An appeal to ignorance is an argument for or against a proposition on the basis of a lack of evidence against or for it. If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it, but a lack of evidence by itself is no evidence.

You also said that although you personally do not understand the topic, you assume that there IS more to understand on the topic, which is an ASSUMPTION: if you don't understand it, why would you assume there IS more to know about it? Maybe there's no "there there", and hence why rational people do not accept ideas for which no compelling evidence exists.

for which there is no evidence?

You are the one saying there is no evidence. Gee...talk about logical fallacy. You saying there is no evidence does not mean there is no evidence. There are plenty of eyewitness accounts and other pieces of scientific evidence (whether you believe them or not) that show that there is a supernatural realm. You'll find plenty of people (scientists included, whether you believe them or not) that believe there is sufficient evidence.

"Eyewitness accounts"? Like they exist for Bigfoot?

Lay your scientific claims on us, PLEASE, showing the existence of a "supernatural realm". You'd find an interesting audience here, and James Randi is offering $1 mil to anyone who can present such that withstands scientific scrutiny. Your last comment was an appeal to authority, where the majority of scientists don't believe (and some believe IN SPITE of the lack of evidence, for their own reasons).

Rereading your past posts over the past while, I think you were and are just looking an opportunity to insult someone. I saw you do the same with Cedars and others on the site. It must be sad and lonely to have those feelings for others and have so much fake pride in yourself that you can't help but try to insult others to make yourself feel better.

Thanks for concern, but from the logic you displayed in your posts, you probably should be concerned with your own lack of critical-thinking skills, and not mine (replace 'rafters' with 'fallacious reasoning', and you should grasp the idea). I'm here on a mission of mercy, helping others to improve their critical use of logic.

You have my pity, KS.

Whoops, there it is! Can't miss the condescending words a Xian uses to say, "screw you, and may you burn in Hell". You earned minus points with that one around here, LOL!

Oh, and this:

Recovery said:

We cannot just look at the Bible and say well, this is talking about the Israelites, not us. This is talking about eating animal blood only, and should not be applied to ingesting blood for nutrition via blood transfusion.

That's a great example of why you don't want the ilk of Recovery cluttering up your decision-making process, when making major medical decisions for your family: blood transfusions have NOTHING to do with nutrition.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I have no problems watching cartoons, certain disney movies (like the Lion King), or even movies like Superman or Batman.

Since Rafiki in Lion King is a Shaman, that makes you a hypocrite. A clear understanding of why the difference between a miracle and magic is negligible will clear that up lickity split!

Rafiki is a mandrill who lives in a baobab tree somewhere in the Pride Lands. He is a dear friend to Mufasa and later Simba. He performs shamanistic services for the lions of Pride Rock. He is an enigmatic character, tending to speak about himself in the third person, who drops in unexpectedly to lend advice; although very wise, he also has a very quirky, playful side. As a bipedal animal, Rafiki is able to use props more easily than most of the films' animals. He is never seen without his stick, which is topped with gourds that he uses for ritual purposes, painting and food. The character often serves as the narrator of the story of The Lion King, especially in video games and merchandise. Rafiki's name means "friend" in Swahili.
    hy·poc·ri·sy /hi'päkrise/
    Noun:
    The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

-Sab

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think what Recovery is differentiating is that god's miracles are always for the good and any other spiritual miracles is always for evil things.

In spite of the history of god doing erroneously evil things like killing all mankind during a great flood or supposedly soon to come Armageddon

where the majority of mankind is going to be killed again just because they weren't worshiping him the right way.

Man talk about evil ...... SHEESHH

Are you sure your supporting the right god Recovery ?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Silly baby, don't you get it yet?

If YHWH did it, "it was very good". That's the pattern set from Genesis 1. It goes not just for magic miracles, but for EVERYTHING!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think I'm going to call up Sparlock once again to put a spell on God and turn him into a good god !

This continuously whacking humans is just got to stop.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There have been some great comments on here, and additional information that I will add to the article. One part that really stood out was from Leolaia and AnnOMaly regarding David being allowed to study magic, which is the point I am making about Sparlock. There is no issue with a child being aware of magic, as shown from the Bible account of Daniel. It is an important part of learning critical thinking skills.

"To make sure that the Hebrew teenagers would be molded to fit in with the Babylonian system, Nebuchadnezzar decreed that his officials "teach them the writing and the tongue of the Chaldeans." (Daniel 1:4) This was no ordinary education. The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia explains that it "comprised the study of Sumerian, Akkadian, Aramaic . . . , and other languages, as well as the extensive literature written in them." "The extensive literature" consisted of history, mathematics, astronomy, and so on. However, "associated religious texts, both omina [omens] and astrology . . . , played a large part."" dp chap. 3 p. 34 par. 10 Tested-But True to Jehovah!

If I was a JW parent, I would be fine with my child having a wizard, I would just make sure the child had his magic coming from Jehovah, or he treated the wizard as the bad toy. The fight between good and evil is one of the key components of most stories, both for adult and child.

Directly regarding Recovery's statement that Magic can only be of the occult, I cannot agree, and I think Recovery has poorly argued the case, and shown an inability to consider other points of view. Recovery has selectively picked definitions, or more ususally used a theasarus. However, following is the definition, in full, from the Oxford dictionary, one of the world's most respected. The definition of magic is something that is (or appears to be) from supernatural forces, which is what a miracle is and what Aaron did.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/magic?q=magic Definition of magic
    noun
    [mass noun]
    • the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces: suddenly, as if by magic, the doors start to open
    • mysterious tricks, such as making things disappear and reappear, performed as entertainment: [as modifier]:his parents bought him a magic set for Christmas
    • a quality of being beautiful and delightful in a way that seems remote from daily life: the magic of the theatre
    • informal exceptional skill or talent: he’s been working his magic on New Zealand movies for the past two decades
    adjective
    • 1 having or apparently having supernatural powers: a magic wand
    • [attributive] very effective in producing the desired results: confidence is the magic ingredient needed to spark recovery
    • 2 British informal wonderful; exciting: it was a great time, magic
    verb ( magics , magicking , magicked )
    [with object and adverbial]
    • move, change, or create by or as if by magic: he must have been magicked out of the car at the precise second it exploded

Phrases

like magic
    remarkably effectively or rapidly: this method works like magic
  • mP
    mP

The Bible loves numbers. Everything good or important is 12 or 7... isnt that superstituous magical nonsense ?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

JWFACTS - ok, you win.

Now everyone jump to the "The Bible -- Full of Errors and Inconsistencies" thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit