Killing Ananias and Sapphira

by irondork 313 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Ah, so you fall back on the old standby----maybe the writing is not accurate and it was all made up later. That is a principle that you apply as you see fit. Maybe every single thing about Jesus, good and bad, was just a big lie and was made up later. No, that's not right, because you talk to Jesus. But people outside the Christian tradition also speak to spirits and feel just as sure as you do. Oh, that's right, they are really talking to Jesus but just don't know it.

500 people, every year, in the UK? Well I don't have a link, but I would have to take a look at the criteria and opposing theories and so forth, But let's assume it is true and not as corrupted as the Bible. Yep. Odds are slim---but they surely allow for a married couple to just drop dead from strong emotion hours apart. Mmm hmmm. What is not possible is for such an event to be predicted. It is quite convenient this most improbable event ever happened right on cue and after a prediction. And it wasn't a vague prediction either! Nope---happened immediately! Now THAT is phenomenal. You will drop dead on the spot. Okay! *thud* Freaking unbelievable if you ask me.

Oh but that's right. That part might not be true. Every other part of the account is probably true, just not that part. It was made up later. I forgot to apply your first principle, which is when we don't like it, we can claim fraud. When we do like it, then it is golden.

• tec
    tec

I forgot to apply your first principle, which is when we don't like it, we can claim fraud.

You don't know my first, middle or last principle if that is what you think.

I think I have been pretty clear on what my 'principle' is, in this thread and others.

Christ.

Christ is the image and truth of God. Christ is who I know... Christ is who I look to, to understand truth, and to see God.

I also did not claim fraud. I have offered many other possibilities than yours and others 'god did it'. So why fall back on that (for those who do) when it is a) against the nature of God shown by Christ, and b) there are other possibilities?

Peace,

tammy (now off to work)

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Thor does not disapprove of general snarkiness. You may confusing him with another god.

I just talked to General Snarkiness and explained to him that there's apparently been some misunderstanding, and that Thor doesn't disapprove of him. The General is willing to forgive and forget, and let by-gones be by-gones: he's willing to put the invasion plans aside, as war has been averted (for the time being).

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

While TEC's off doing something she calls "working" (what IS that?), I submit evidence that perception is more varied and subjective that most people consider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e3oNVmSaMsE

I submit that this 5 y.o. child processes auditory information in a way that goes well beyond the way most people do. Unlike you or I, the brain model he uses for listening to music actually allows him to REPRODUCE and CREATE music in a manner that most of us cannot. He is able to translate the "voices he hears" in his head into physical muscle movements which allow him to play music, thus giving enjoyment to others.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Tammy...

you said: " Christ also did away with eye for eye... and if God does not change, and Christ is the image of God, then eye for eye was never what God wanted or demanded. But rather it is what the people understood."...

Jesus didn't do away with an eye for an eye for everyone...BECAUSE God does not change.

Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of those who have asked Him to be their Savior...those who refuse Him and the mercy of God are still in the position of being accountable for thier own sins...therefore the eye for an eye JUSTICE of God is in effect in BOTH cases.

partial quote: "it goes against what Christ showed about His Father"...you over-look the JUSTICE of God IN Jesus Christ portrayed in the NT. There are many places in the NT that Jesus in in full accord with the will of His Father. in john 8:24-26, Jesus is clear, "if you don't believe I am He" you are still under condemnation and you will take your sins to the judgement seat. in the book of revelation Jesus is represented at judging those sins and casting people into outer darkness where they will have NO part in the kingdom. rev 22:14-15

What I see is at least two people on this thread who are being false to the Holy Spirit. The people who Jesus called to the office of apostle were informed of the commandments of Jesus and went ahead and preached ALL that He taught them...the Holy Spirit leading them into ALL truth so that they were enabled to preach and write these things. The Holy Spirit facilitated the writing of these doctrines of truth (acts 1:1-2). One person has taken the initiative in listening to and passing on "insight from some other spirit" who denies what is written. Unfortunately yet another person isn't stepping up to the plate and contending for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints in response to this error either...both are holding back some proceeds from the transaction...which can be stated as salvation/mercy in return for their "reasonable service" in ministering the gospel (that's their intention being on this forum)which is the acceptable and perfect will of God. romans 12:1-2; 2 timothy 2:4-5...

no disciple who has his ministry should hold back from teaching the whole counsel revealed by the Holy Spirit because to hold back a portion is to handle the word of God deceitfully. 2 corinthians 4:1-4

imo this account of ananias and sapphira is a sober warning to the church that what they say to men they will be held accountable for in the judgement. (matthew 12:36-37)...

love michelle

• sir82
    sir82

Hey here's an idea:

Ananias and Saphira never really existed. This is a story made up to impress wavering Christians that they'd better be scrupulously honest about donating funds to the church, lest they drop dead on the spot.

In the end, for the sake of the point the story teller is trying to get across, it doesn't matter if "God killed them" or "they dropped dead of fright". The point is, pay up to the church or sleep with the fishes.

The Bible, both OT and NT, is full of these sorts of "message" stories - "do it this way or God will see to it you're dead."

Which, of course, is the root message of JWs and virtually every evangelistic Christian organization both now and for the past 2000 years.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

st said:

Thor would NEVER withhold ANYTHING from you KS....you just need more faith....it's not that you are lacking...you just haven't got enough...LOL

THIS JUST IN!

Apple has announced the iPhone 5, which uses a new type of dock connector, which Apple has named "Lightning" connector! Add that to the "Thunderbolt" connector they added to computer hardware a few years ago, and it clear that Thor has given us all an unmistakeable sign expressing his will, with Apple as official computer manufacturer for Thorianists everywhere!!

Praise be to Thor!

PS why can't I stop using the exclamation sign, even when asking a question! Does anyone have a number for exclamation signs anonymous! HELP, it's getting worse!!!

• tec
    tec

Jesus didn't do away with an eye for an eye for everyone...BECAUSE God does not change.

That is right. God does not change. But Christ did not say... see God (or the law or the OT or the scriptures); see me (Christ). He said, see ME; see my Father. God is as Christ showed Him to be, and Christ did not live 'eye for eye', but rather forgiveness and mercy.

I know one needs Christ to have their sins covered over... (Christ decides and chooses who belongs to Him, as well as what we decide if we want to belong to or follow Him)... but in this discussion, we are speaking about a specific event, and one that comes BEFORE the judgment. That should say something to anyone thinking it might have been God who struck them down, as well. Nor should we ever forget that God may have mercy upon whomever He chooses. It is not for us to state one way or the other (except to offer forgiveness, mercy, and love ourselves); and of course what constitutes justice to US... is not necessarily what constitutes justice for God. I think Christ showed us that.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

What I see is at least two people on this thread who are being false to the Holy Spirit.

One person has taken the initiative in listening to and passing on "insight from some other spirit" who denies what is written.

Unfortunately yet another person isn't stepping up to the plate and contending for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints in response to this error either...both are holding back some proceeds from the transaction...which can be stated as salvation/mercy in return for their "reasonable service" in ministering the gospel (that's their intention being on this forum)which is the acceptable and perfect will of God. romans 12:1-2; 2 timothy 2:4-5...

I believe some posters here have just been compared to A & S. Which means they have been called out. Let's see what happens.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I'm seeing the wisdom of the old saying that the most-cunning atheists aren't the ones who proclaim that God doesn't exist, but those who don't say it, but pretend they are theists to exploit the need for God in others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit