5 Reasons Why the DEAF Masturbation Video is different than anything before...

by BluePill2 241 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

NO ONE is allowed to determine what causes offense to others, as what is not offensive to one person may not be offensive to another, and hence it's good to not go out of one's way to offend (for no good reason).

this is silly.of course it is allowed to determine what offensive, thats why there are NC 17 movies, and actual laws about public nudity, and rules against masturbating on the city bus. Thats why freedom of speech ends at hate speech, with legalities against harassment, libel, defamation, even terrorism. Despite our subjectivity, the world does not operate in a paralysis of relativism. There are boundaries of what is offensive, and what is not. This video is a gem because it right on the boundary.

• jgnat
    jgnat

As an aside, when the Chick-fil-a controversy flew over, I stumbled across a LGBT discussion board. There was a lively debate about the appropriate response. At least one member saw the response as goofy, extreme, disorganized, and counterproductive. I saw the debate as a sign of a strong, healthy community where members could challenge each other.

• cedars
    cedars

King Solomon

NOW, if you don't get that metaphor of directing the donkey to charge into battle to tilt at windmills (oh, there's three mixed metaphors: I shouldn't have done that!), then you seemingly haven't taken a basic college-level course in social sciences and not been exposed to the concept of 'co-opting'

Now we all need a basic college-level course in social sciences if we want to go toe-to-toe with you on this issue? Get over yourself.

I object to being accused of being a JW apologist

Here is the definition of "apologist"... "A person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial."

You defend the Watch Tower Society in two key areas on this thread.

1. You claim that the use of ASL to describe masturbation in the video was perfectly appropriate, and that the blame for the whole controversy lies squarely with any who laugh at the video (or post it on YouTube, or convert it into GIFs), and that by laughing at the video one is laughing at deaf people and NOT the Watch Tower Society for producing it in the first place. These are all typical arguments being made by JW-loyalists on the YouTube video page itself.
    2. You claim that any like me who are actively opposed to the Watchtower are blinded by hatred and unable to move on with our lives; that we are willing to throw people under a bus for the sake of our agenda, and that we should just "vote with our feet" and leave. You demean any other approach than this as being immature (i.e. your "big-kid undies" comment). In voicing this opinion, you echo the Watchtower's stance on the subject (i.e. "shut up and leave") and completely disregard the pain and anguish caused by the Society's shunning policy, and how many of us are deprived of any meaningful contact with our family members by a damaging cult. You claim that we should just shrug our shoulders, devoid of any feeling, and hand victory to the Watchtower by letting them ruin our families without doing anything about it. I have nothing against those who choose to accept defeat, but anyone who tries to dissuade those like me from doing whatever we can (to make a difference and/or help others to get out) are quite clearly defending the Watchtower's viewpoint.

THAT'S why you're an apologist - which isn't wrong in itself. We're all entitled to our opinion. What's wrong is that you're an insulting and patronizing apologist who tries to use your credentials to stuff your long-winded opinions down our throats, using intimidation and character-assassination if necessary.

If you're going to go to such lengths to defend the Watch Tower Society, then at least find the balls to admit you're an apologist - because on at least the above two issues, you are.

Cedars

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This thing with the masturbation video got overtly out of proportion because many ex-jws are trying to invoke some retribution against the WTS.

for their own personal reasons.

The guy in question will probably get counseling on not to overly emphasize his signing of masturbation from now on.

" Brother your masturbation signing was a little overly expressed and may offend some of the brother and sisters,

so would you tone it down a little "

By the way.......

Study Says Masturbation Reduces Prostate Cancer

A study done in Australia suggests that frequent masturbation by men, especially in their 20s, provides protection against prostate cancer later in life.

The scientists in Australia found that men in their 20s who ejaculated more than five times a week were a third less likely to develop aggressive prostate cancer later in life.

The reason the study suggests focuses on masturbation over sex is said to be because men can pick up infections from intercourse that actually increase the risk of getting prostate cancer.

The team asked 1,079 men with prostate cancer to log their sexual habits, which were then compared with those of 1,259 healthy men.

"The more you flush the ducts out, the less there is to hang around and damage the cells that line them", Graham Giles of The Cancer Council of Victoria in Melbourne said.

"Masturbation is part of people's sexual repertoire", said Anthony Smith, a director of the Australian Research Centre. "If these findings hold up, then it's perfectly reasonable that men should be encouraged to masturbate".

There's something you never thought you'd hear.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

I think this gentleman has nailed this to the t (quote from reddit):

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/zn4ey/jehovah_witnesses_made_a_serious_asl_video/

It seems like...instead of saying "When you masturbate as a man or even as a female..." he's saying "OH SHIT! When you uhhhhnnnngnggg stroke your hard, firm shaft, or mmmmmmmhhhhhhh push as many fingers as you can in your tight, soaking wet pussy...ohhhh gggoddddd" I understand about using facial expressions to changing from monotone to emotional speaking. Have you ever seen an anti-masturbation video with sound? It's basically monotone. You wouldn't give a speech against abstinence as if you're in the throes of passion, so why is he doing that? edit: throws =/= throes. I learned something today.

Yes! This is frontpage topic at www.reddit.com - now the show has just begun! These guys will make gifs, photoshops and what not. Has been posted today and has already over 14.000 views (reddit alone). Video is has over 860K Youtube views.

People, people this is NO different than hearing these guys and LAUGHING your ass off, because NOBODY speaks like that in day-to-day speech! These guys are communicating a ridiculous message with OVER THE TOP EMOTIONAL EMPHASIS. Nobody says "Jeeeeeeeeeesuschssssss" and looks like an idiot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIioOvwaT3A

The Video shows different Pentecostal preachers giving public sermons and they look/sound like idiots/assholes.

Question: Why treat the deaf differently? The best thing you can do is treating the deaf like any other person. Period. And yes, sometimes we humans laugh at other people, because, well I don't know, because of laugh reflexes?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Sure wouldn't be able to show that video on AFV.

• watson
    watson

Now in the top 10 google searches...:) "Jehovah's Witnesses"

• rebel8
    rebel8

Seriously? Uh, ok: http://tinyurl.com/8u6lot3

Oh come on. Show me a religion pantomiming both female and male masturbations, along with orgasmic facial expressions, in a liturgical context, on a website. If you find one, I'll gladly mock it.

I'm not interested in changing your mind. If you think the video is appropriate then good for you. Why don't you visit the nearest daycare, show it to the kids, and see how long it takes you to get arrested. Then tell the police they are being overly sensitive and their problem is with ASL, not you.

I don't know why you think the wts/cronies' reasons for doing this mitigates the outcome. It has absolutely nothing to do with the effect.

• still thinking
  • Satanus
    Satanus

The wt classifies masterbation as 'uncleanness', and then quotes 'unclean people will not inherit the kingdom', ie, will be killed by god in karmageddon. It means the death penalty, if you do it just before god goes on his earth cleansing genocide. 'Course, if you humbly lower yourself to somewhere lower than frog slime at the bottom of a lake, and get forgiveness, then he might pass you over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit